skip
Years ago

Oct 11 - 36ers v Tigers

With others noting that no one is talking about the Sixers anymore, I figured what better time to start this thread.

Do the 36ers have a chance of knocking off the mighty Tigers? Perth managed to get it done earlier this week.

Will Luke start this week with the tigers having such a dominant centre? On paper, this has some wonderful match ups.

Anstey v Schenscher
Grizzard v Ballinger
MacKinnon v Holmes
Ere v Tyndale
Barlow v Bruce

Thats how I see the starting 5 for tomorrow anyway.

thoughts?

Topic #17623 | Report this topic

bretts the man  
Years ago

It was great to see Wildcats beat Tigers on Wed. However I dont want to be a pessimist but cannot even seeing us push them at their local gym. Mainly due to many getting over injuries and our defensive work has a long way to go to slow that team down. I still have faith in squad and Scotty but a very tall task at this stage. be interesting to see if Schensher can hold Anstey to a reasonable score as we certainly havent over last few years. They still havent got anyone to hold Brett if we can set him up .
Huge challenge for Tyndale to see if he has got what we need defensively and score wise. Fingers crossed what a way to bounce back after last 2 games if we could beat this mob

Reply #206992 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Sadly I don't see it happening with our injury concerns.

Winitana is a huge loss especially with his high energy. I believe he's the missing key and loss will be the cause of a loss.

Also big Luke needs to shut down Anstey.

Reply #206994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You wouldn't rule out the chance of a win, but it will be tough. Tyndale defending, presumably Ere, would be an excellent match-up to see.

If we had come up against them without them having lost to the Wildcats, I'd quite like our chances, but I think they'll have that fresh in their minds and Anstey will be out to dominate.

Reply #207000 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm also worried that Barlow was scoreless on 0/6.

We are definitely missing Winitana. I wouldn't mind betting that he played more minutes than anyone in the preseason games and he has been sorely missed since the Crocs game.

Reply #207007 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

If Luke doesnt start against the Tigers, that would only make Ninnis look like an amatuer coach. Why would you recruit a player with international experience and HEIGHT only to be playing him off the bench and 20 odd minutes a game at that!

Get with the program, start bringing Mahersy off the bench, move Tybdale to the 2, god knows he's undersized anyways, Bruce at 1, and Holmes 3 and give Ballinger a break at trying to defend bigger guys and put him at the 4!

I expect a competitive game tomorrow night, and I think the 36ers can win.

Reply #207028 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think the 36ers can win also. The season so far has been full of surprise wins and losses. Samba, if Ninnis doesn't start Luke, that's a reflection on Luke rather than the coach. Luke has not shown the quality required as a starter. He certainly is not an equal match up to Anstey. The 36ers do not have a player that is. Whoever defends him, needs to come out of their comfort zone and put in an amazing effort to try and contain him. If Luke can do that and do it consistently, then you can expect him to be a starter.

Reply #207047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live coverage of 36ers v Tigers from 'The Cage' tonight from 7pm.

www.tigerradio.com.au to hear all the action

Reply #207057 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

"Luke has not shown the quality required as a starter" 14ppg @ 56@, 8rpg, 1.5bpg in only 26 minutes is not quality enough?

Reply #207060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason Luke hasnt been starting is because of height match ups with other teams......He will start tonight!!

Reply #207067 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Losing the plot EC.

Height mathcups....let other teams have height match ups WITH US! Does Anstey come off the bench becaise of height matchups?!

Reply #207076 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ballinger on Anstey. ( Ninnis just said on radio) His back is ok, but he's had the flu, this week.

Reply #207093 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Should be a good game, but we need to get more shots on goal (Always been out downfall)

Tiggers: 39/80 FG, 9.25/26.5 3P, 16/22 FT
Sixers: 34/77, 7.25/22, 21/27

Need to make our shots count!

Otherwise all other game stats in our favour, RB 40 to 47 to us, AS 16 to 20, BL (even at 5.5) TO 18 to 17

but, ST 8.3 to 6.8

Reply #207097 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

On shooting, Jacob is the only one shooting over the team % in all 3 areas.

Guys who need to improve:

Coops: 2/10 FG 2/5 FT
BD: 3/11 FG
BH: 8/23 FG 0/4 3P
AB: 15/39 FG

Good D wins championships, but you still need buckets

Reply #207098 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

luke currently given us NOTHING!!

give us something luke!!!!!

Reply #207105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please post scores? NBL scoreboard & my sound are own.

Reply #207106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No sweat, scoreboard's up now:
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/1329/00/27/41/51qjpcvv7EcM6/

Reply #207107 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

in 1st quarter

sixers - 12
tigers - 26

Reply #207108 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What do you mean Luke is giving 'us' nothing? The entire team is playing like dogs!

Reply #207109 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

quarter time

sixers - 16
tigers - 32

tyndale leading for sixers with 4 points.
luke shooting terrble.
balls 2 fouls.

Reply #207110 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Embarrassing stuff, did they even do any scouting???

Reply #207112 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

sixers feild goals are at 19% and 3 point at 0%.

damnnnn!.

Reply #207113 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

And who is gurading Sam Mackinnon? Giving up to many offensive rebounds. Ninnis' defensive talk is just that IMO

Reply #207114 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

half time

sixers- 39
tigers - 54

Reply #207115 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

One thing I hate about the new live scoring: how it says 'multiple-3' for example in the stats, instead of listing all three players. You have to click on the box score to find out who they are. Still beats the crap out of the old sportal live scoring.

Reply #207120 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I can deal with that, considering its 100% better and more professional!

Reply #207122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scoreboard locked at 6:28 to go in the 3rd for me.
Any updates?

Reply #207123 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

has it just stoped on 628 or is it just mne?

Reply #207124 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Its stopped, i take the professionalsim ALLLLLLL back haha

Farkin hell!

Reply #207125 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

jynxed!! =[

Reply #207126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Court time not working for Kersten either.

Reply #207127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They've switched to one of the other live score options.

Reply #207128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had teh same problem with the scoreboard locked at 6:28 int eh third. Opened a new window and navigated to the scoreboard via NBL site and it's showing 79-67 zTigers ahead at 3 quarter time. Link is http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/1329/00/27/45/88Fthb6GsUVY/

Reply #207129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rats - now that's stuffed as well

Reply #207130 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

thanks anon. good quarter for us.

Reply #207131 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Is the scoreboard down at present or is the game over. Just tuned in but can't get anything.

Reply #207135 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

anyone got any updates?

scores?

Reply #207137 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

sportal says:

119-91 in a sixers lost.

no scores r anything.

this means sixers lst 4th quarter by 16.

hard to believe after there 3rd quarter.

Reply #207139 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

One road game left against the Hawks, who beat the Wildcats, who beat the Tigers. Its not too early to pencil in a 4th road loss. Call me pessimistic but I am still waiting for something positive to happen.

Reply #207142 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

This is a joke.

Pigs beat Perth btw.

Reply #207143 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

NINNIS is NOT playing his best 5 to start the game....Surprise surprise we are starting games shockingly. Pull your finger out Ninnis, why bother recruiting Schencsher if you arent going to start him against the likes of Anstey for christ sake! Not sure how Ballinger got those early fouls, but wouldnt surprise me if they were to do with the fact he is UNDERSIZED against Anstey.

Im pissed off at this season already, and now im going out for a beer!

Reply #207144 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

anyone no any box scores?

Reply #207145 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I listened to www.tigerradio.com.au
Much better than live scores.
mmmmm Sydney Spirit winning a few games..

Reply #207146 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Camel 31 howd stats end up for sixers?

Reply #207147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sportal has the results up. No box scores but they've got teh following:

Melbourne Tigers Scorers:
Barlow 29, Ere 18, Grizzard 17

Adelaide 36ers Scorers:
Schensher 25 Ballinger 19, Holmes 12

Looks like we've lost our outside game. Maher's not firing and Bruce and Tyndale presumably didn't score much either. Good news is that Schenscher seems to have provided a good inside option - again.

Bit of a worry that we gave up 71 points in two quarters though, even against a team with Melbourne's scoring ability. Defence has been our major weakness for a number of years now and I wonder whether Winitana's absence is hurting us in the team defence stakes?

Reply #207148 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Luke is a interesting one. His firt half was woeful, he shot terrible and couldnt get his game going but then he comes out and finished the game well hittng a couple of shots and finishing wit 25 points ( according to sprtal)

While i was watching fiba live scores ti it stopped i noticed we got hardly anything outside from brett, bruce and davidson but tyndale was rying to lift the team. He had 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 7 points on a off night for the team from outside.

Dissapointing overall.

Reply #207150 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Mark Tyndale finished with nine points, seven rebounds, seven assists.

Write up is on nbl.com.au

*excuse spelling mistakes

Reply #207152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has the match report up now. A bit more detail and it looks like the 3/4 time score I gave above was wrong. Melbourne were up 86-67 going into the last. That means we gave up over 30 points in 3 out of 4 quarters and scored less than 20 ourselves in 2 quarters. Hugely disappointing.

Here are selected snippets to give some more stats;

"After being held scoreless on Wednesday night, it was David Barlow who sparked the Tigers with a game-high 29 points, with 16 of those coming in the third quarter."

"Barlow had plenty of help though, with Ebi Ere (18 points, eight assists) and Rod Grizzard (17 points, seven rebounds, five assists) just two of the seven Tigers' players scoring in double figures."

"In an intriguing battle with Chris Anstey, big centre Luke Schenscher led the 36ers with 25 points, but Adam Ballinger (19) and Jacob Holmes (12) were the only others to score more than 10."

"Sam Mackinnon (two points, 11 rebounds, five assists) ... Mark Tyndale (nine points, seven rebounds, seven assists)"

"With their starters watching from the sidelines, Nathan Croswell (11 points, four assists) and Daryl Corletto (11 points) finished some nice moves to allow the Tigers to open the final term with a 10-0 run and things only became worse for the visitors when Barlow, Ere and Grizzard returned."

I have to say the start to the season has not been a good one. The two wins were based on one dominant half in each game and since the first half of the third game, we haven't looked like a winning team. Statistically, players who did well in those first games have since been struggling (Maher, Bruce) and our bench appears wanting.

Given this, I'm really worried that we turned up with so many injuries just a few weeks into the season. From the results of the last two weeks, we can't afford the players concerned to be off the court long enough to recover properly or we'll have dropped too many games. But bringing them back early seems not to be working.

Winitana's injury has me particularly worried as it seems to be a lot more serious than first thought. As above, I've a suspicion his defensive intensity is more important than his other stats.

Reply #207153 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, they said Bruce, Tyndale, Maher were quiet.
Ballinger was great. Schencher got better as the game went on.
Tyndale was yelling at his team mates. But settled down.
Sixers played zone if Melbourne scored and man if they missed.
Battled away, but couldn't find the basket and slack on defence.
Obviously a pro Tigers call in tigerradio, but not too bad.
Sturt off the bench got the crowd going.

Reply #207154 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754