Isaac
Years ago

Blaze now 0-5, will they make a change?

After a home loss last night to the Sydney Spirit which they had probably picked as a chance to get things on track, the Gold Coast Blaze have started the 2008/09 season 0-5. That includes three losses on their own court.

With an upcoming schedule that takes them on a three-game road trip through New Zealand, Cairns and Wollongong (who just beat Perth), before hosting the Breakers, then visiting the Tigers, when will they turn the tide?

They're averaging a clear league-worst 80.3 points a game and topping the comp with 20.8 turnovers per game.

Will they make a change?

Topic #17635 | Report this topic

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

they will have to make a change and it will be an import imo. after all it cant be brendan or shanes fault

Reply #207077 | Report this post

Blazing!  
Years ago

Shane is a cancer. every team that he is with sucks!

Reply #207079 | Report this post

Skink  
Years ago

Spot on fitz import would have to be the obvious choice. when you get heal with the most minutes, as well as taking the most shots taken, something is not right. He is not the go to man and should only be a role player, if that. They blew a massive lead last night.Joyce would be feeling the f*#*'n pressure.
On paper the team looks reasonable, not a finals contender but should be winning games. The finger pointing will start very soon.
Maybe they all think there screwed for next season with all the talk of the bullets.

Reply #207080 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Both of their imports are terrible and need to be replaced straight away. While it was nice they held onto Hawkins after his health misfortune, he needs to be replaced as he is not producing.

Also having Daniel Joyce play 20-25minutes per game really hurts this team as well! A massive conflict of interest by the coach which is ultimately impacting on his team to even win one game!

Reply #207082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0-6 Shane Heal style..

Reply #207083 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Well, I'd be cutting either of their imports or Heal to bring in Kendall. Mind you, they are getting EXACTLY what they deserve with the roster of has-beens and never-will-bes that they have put together.

Reply #207087 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

SOJ to be named captain!

Reply #207096 | Report this post

hello  
Years ago

they should go after Hodge. he's gona get cut from the Nets soon.

Reply #207102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mutley, I agree. Fine to sign them when they entered the league, but they need to be cycling in better players.

Can't see them really turning things around without some fairly major changes.

Reply #207104 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I had a bit of a rant about this last night after the game on Ozhoops....basically a player by player rudown of what need sto hapen IMO -

Macgregor - drop from playing roster and give him a job in marketting/community liason as the public and in particular the kids love him and he is very comfortable dealing wit them.
Frank - Keep
Melmeth - Keep
Pero - IF he can prove he is somewhat interested keep him and utilise him better in teh offense as a passing forward - if he shows any signs of poor attitude get rid of him immediately
Demos - Keep
Joyce - keep as a back up (ie BEHIND 3 other guards in the rotation)
Whitehead - Gone
Hawkins - Keep
Harvey - Keep
Heal - Keep - as a backup spark off the bench.
Brendan Joyce - keep but get an assistant that will stand up to him and make him accountable rather than have him run things 100% his way.

They then have 2 spots to fill - get Kendall in as starting PG and a new import who can score as well as create for others, someone who can play as a guard or forward (Hodge would be the perfect prototype of player they need)

Starting 5 of
Kendal
Harvey
Import
Hawkins
Melmeth

Off the bench we have Frank, Pero, Heal for an 8 player main rotation leaving Jpoyce and Demos to fill the 10. vanderjaagt is also there is needed and can slot in for Demos or Joyce if we need another big against some teams.

It certainly couldnt be worse than the crap we were dished up the the 2nd half last night!

Reply #207155 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

As a subnote to teh above - apparently Macgregor has torn a calf so he is out for a bit to be replaced by Vandy - this leaves Whitehead to go and Id expect that the club would be canvassing various options already so if they pull the trigger the new player can be ready to go immediately

Reply #207156 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

KingJames, I'd take Hawkins ahead of Whitehead I think, while he hasnt been scoring much he has been doing everything else well.
However, Statman I don't think I'd be comfortable with him as the starting PF.

Is Kendall playing anywhere at all right now?

Reply #207160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McGregor looked like he would be out 3-4 weeks min it looked major plus his age, so Vandy in.

Whitehead seemed to be saying taking time to say goodbye to a lot of ppl at the afterparty, if there is an out clause in contract he will be gone.
Hawkins could possible go as well.

however by the time all that happens they could easy be 0-10 which would be season over.

the fallen aussie dollar may make it too expensive to get a quality import.

Mick Hill would be useful..

expect some announcements by the end of the week

Reply #207181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cut whitehead and macgregor bring in hill and kendall

Reply #207186 | Report this post

drb  
Years ago

cutt both imports but i would get rid of hawkins first

Reply #207253 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

At this stage, Hawkins is the team's best defender and one of the few who is genuinely putting in 110% when he's on the court.

Nobody who has watched his on court effort and desire, could question his spot on the team.

And yes, while his NBL.com.au stats are not that impressive at the moment, he leads the team (and probably the league) in bruises. The guy just never gives up on the court.

Reply #207319 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce is calling for more from his imports. I dare say we might see one cut within the next couple of weeks.

Reply #207346 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

Sack Joyce is the answer he has won 1 Championship and keeps telling us how good he is.Anyone who recruits Heal at this stage of his career is a joke.He is as self promoting as Joyce so the egos are destroying the team good luck hope you keep both of them.That way we will get a few extra wins.

Reply #207352 | Report this post

goldie  
Years ago

Get rid of Joyce and SOJ = gold coast winning combination.
Pi$$ Assistant coash off too, he is like 'Skinner' from the simpsons and BJ 'Mr Burns', all ego.

The owner/s and board need to take action, don't leave it in the hands of Joyce, he'll have SOJ captain, Assistant coach and 5 man.....

Reply #207593 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

As I understand it Brendan is safe this season. Even if the owners are annoyed at the way things are going his 3 year contract makes it a very expensive exercise to get rid of him early.

An import on the other hand (Whitehead) is under immense pressure and will need to play out of his skin to see out the season for the Blaze.

Reply #207601 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754