ExWhy
Years ago

If a new stadium, where?

If Adelaide was to have a new stadium, where would the best area be?
What would be the best size to handle both 36ers games and lightning along with the local comp.

Topic #17650 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Here, western parklands

Would encourage business along Gouger Street and create a link between the restaurant/market area and a stadium in the parklands.

Reply #207356 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

That would also be handy because it's so close to the dead centre of town. *cough*

Reply #207357 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Right next to the Cemetary... nice. Would be more appropriate for the Spirit to have their games next to a Cemetary; it appropriately reflects their fan base.

Reply #207360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would basketball need to build a new stadium, are they likely to start selling out games or something ?
Maybe they should try looking after the one they have first, it looks like it hasn't been cleaned properly since 1992.

Reply #207361 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

Maybe the one that doesn't get cleaned wont be there!

Reply #207364 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i can see the ads now.

Basketball: people are dying to get this close to the action.

Reply #207370 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Yeah why exactly do we need a new basketball stadium? FFA the dome is one of the best venues in the country if not world. It's not like AAMI Stadium at West Lakes where that is a crap hole and 20 year past it used by date  the dome is awesome.

Building a new stadium will not help basketball.

Reply #207371 | Report this post

WAT THE....  
Years ago

Dome world class???? Have u even been out of Australia or even the state and seen other venue's. Please tell me ur joking.......

Reply #207373 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

What are you comparing it to? The bloody Staples Centre in Los Angles or the venue for the Beijing Olympic, if so of course it not comparable but FFS the Dome is world class and i simply ask you to get your own head out of your own arse.

The Dome is the best basketball venue in Australia and way better than anything in Melbourne, Perth and Queensland. The only venue that may be better is the Sydney Olympic venue and yes its way better than the SEC.

So i ask you, how many European venues for basketball have you been to? Try and compare it to the dome and venues in Europe will not even come close
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the dome.

Reply #207379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Dome is a decent venue in a terrible location.

Would need at least another $6 - $10 Million spent on it to make it suitable for international sport considering how much things have change since the venue was built in 1992.

Reply #207382 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

I would have thought building a new stadium would be of benefit so that it can be reloacated to a more suitable place...somewhere central would be good....

the thing with the dome is the land it sits on and that bloody big car park...you are talking $4-5 mil in land alone...add houses and you have a $30M redevelopment on your hands...

plenty of coin to build something very nice in Adelaide more central...

Reply #207386 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Huh? Why are we needing to build a new Basketball Stadium?

A new 60000 sports stadium yes, but the Dome is perfectly fine.

Reply #207391 | Report this post

tongue in cheek  
Years ago

how can you say it hasn't been cleaned since 1992? last year almost every team wiped up the floor with the 6ers, as well as interstate teams cleaning the boards while the 6ers watched them!!

Reply #207392 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

lol - gold - "tongue in cheek"!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #207394 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

because if the old or maybe new owners want to stay in the privte nbl which is about to be launched they will need to find revenue, and i dont see massive sponsorship or FTA...

Reply #207396 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If you build it, they will come...

Take Victoria as an example - they build new stadiums all the time and keep filling them with kids and competitions. Not sure if a new 6ers venue is needed, but certainly another multi-court mega-stadium wouldn't go astray.

For those that are ot aware, in VIC, Kilsyth have just added a brand new 5 court recreation venue at a local high school in addition to their existing 4 and 5 court venues. Knox are looking at adding a new 4-6 court facility in nearby Scoresby as well in addition to their 6 court stadium in Boronia. These associations already have mega-stadiums and they are adding more!
Needless to add that Dandenong have a 14 court (?) first class stadium, and MSAC has a 12-court venue with first class facilities as well. Both faciltiies can accommodates a crowd of 2000 plus as required as well.

Reply #207398 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Rather than build a new stadium for the sixers we would be better off building a decent 8-10 court complex, in a central location, with access to public transport, so that BSA can shut down some of the unsafe crap excuses for courts in the suburbs

Reply #207399 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

LC and anon, that is what i would be thinking, similar to ETSA park for netball, but under cover obviously....portable seating for big games and plenty of courts for everything else....

Reply #207403 | Report this post

Mrs Gates  
Years ago

Knockdown the Marion Stadium. Rebuild it with an international 4 court Stadium, with conference and bar/eating facilities. Open up the surrounding area including the croquet and bowling area. Upgrade the tennis courts. This will give a huge open space ready for redevelopment. Build the FINA international swimming pool on the same site, hey presto a world standard sports domain.!!!! Two entry/exit points (on a fantastic piece of level ground) from both Sturt and Norfolk Rd. Retain one oval, build a grandstand and get rid of the other. Retain the Sports/community facility. Carparking should not be a problem. Close access to Westfield Shopping and a new transport hub. Close to Flinders Medical Centre( for all those sporting injuries!!) Two small problems: Adelaide and money.
Imagine basketball, soccer, tennis,swimming, bowls and a running track etc all on the same site. I know, I know.... I'm in fantasy land.

Reply #207431 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You need to think big - thinking small gets you nowhere.

I like the idea of an 8-10 court stadium in a more central area, and the location Isaac suggested sounds like a good solution to me. Or at least start with 4 courts with plans for another 4 down the track.

I wouldn't go ripping down existing stadiums, you want new ones in addition to what already exists.

Local Associations should be pushing for government grants/council funding to refurbish and/or extend their older venues. I'll again refer to VIC stadiums like Nunawading. Nunawading is an old NBL venue in the days of the old Albert Park stadium. It is in better condition than the now demolished Albert Park sheds, but Nunawading continually spend small amounts of money keeping it up to date and improving the facilities.

I also just found out from a mate that Nunawading is about to get access to a brand new 4-court facility down the road in Vermont as well! Multi-court "mega-stadiums" seem to be popping up all over VIC!!!! Makes me feel a bit jealous!

Reply #207444 | Report this post

Fox 54  
Years ago

How is this being paid for. The last time a stadium was built, basketball went broke.

Reply #207447 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

Fox, read above what i said....the dome will be gone...

Reply #207483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ExWhy,

That bloody big oval is owned by the Council not the owners of the venue.

The land is not suitable for housing and won't be able to be used for housing within the next 20 years and without a load of $$ fixing the soil.

The land itself is just that which the Dome is on and a small amount of its surroundings. Not enough to fund buying land closer to the city let alone the 30+ million it would cost to build a 'world class' venue.

Reply #207490 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

ExWhy, the land belongs to the council. They only allowed the Dome to be built on their land. The car park and surrounds still very much belong to Charles Sturt Council.

Reply #207493 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

so a council wouldn't be interested in redevelopment?
They'll be the 1st council I know of....
but hey thanks for the heads up...
i have to say the person i was listening to didn't inform me of the council bit...

I still think this idea is feasible tho...

Reply #207499 | Report this post

Fox 54  
Years ago

But who is going to put up the money in the first place? Knowing that they might not make a return, just ask the private investors that built Mars. Or BSa regarding their return on Pasadena and Wayville, or even Morphettvale.

Reply #207521 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

I can think of some...Wont be naming them, but there are people around...rich enuff, keen enuff, and looking into it...

Reply #207532 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ExWhy - massive contamination issues with the land under/around the Dome. Can't be used for housing as said above.

Reply #207533 | Report this post

Fox 54  
Years ago

People get rich by not pouring $M's down the drain, they may be interested if they can make a profit, but a continual loss isn't something anybody is happy to do. Once they look into the profit analysis, expect them to look to put their money elsewhere.

Reply #207535 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

unless you own a business and need to write it off as tax...loss can sometimes be run into profit..

Reply #207541 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

But all this aside, i didn't have any idea about the land issue...that does put things in a different light...
but the other parts of what i am saying are about right..

the owner of the dome would be ok with loss in some way...you are right, no one poors money in, but if you can some how turn some of it into positive then it seems ok too...

Reply #207542 | Report this post

Fox 54  
Years ago

That only work for a once off loss. The continued cost of running the stadium, the upkeep and the cost of salary means that it losses money every year. If you are paying business tax, you are only decreasing your taxable by around 30%. Up to 48% if you are taking it out of your personal. Still means that if you are able to afford the couple of $100K loss you would still be at best half of that worse off.

Reply #207543 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Tomb it may concern:
I have a bone to pick with Charles Sturt's Dome carpark, it should've gone underground to cater for our fair weather fans.
Funny how Victoria gets a mention as to the direction we need to be heading. Had the good fortune of having the company of some quality Tigs fans (6/12), & they absolutely lust over the Dome.
"The Dome is AMAZING, wish we had something like this" Their words, not mine.
To back it up, DJ recently posted the seating at Hisense, & that venue has serious issues just looking at the floor plan. Thoughts?
The Cage seats 3.5k, & that's it folks. Thoughts?
FFS, you guys are suggesting that Victoria's professional stadiums are something to be jealous of? WTF!!!!!
OK, let's live out ExWhy's pipedream that the Dome gets sold & the monies go towards building this new stadium that we have to have. How long would it be before the new venue doors open? Does anyone seriously think that the fantasy Dome buyers would agree to the 36ers playing out of the Dome till the new stadium doors open? Even if they did, they'd charge $hitload$, they'd have to.
I'll continue the fairytale & exhule Isaac's grave, but stimulating suggestion. Perhaps build a small test stadium there to be used for "training" purposes only. Give it a catchy name, maybe "The Gravy Train" Venue. If after a week it look$ promi$ing, knock it down, & build a basketball stadium that we can all be proud of. I can't see the government knocking back underground parking, the precedent's been set nextdoor & the residents aren't about to make a noise about it.

Reply #215609 | Report this post

Giraffe 91  
Years ago

I think people are comparing Victoria's metro and country stadiums, such as Dandenong, etc. Much better than the metro stadiums we have in Adelaide

Reply #215618 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Giraffe 91:

"I think people are comparing Victoria's metro and country stadiums, such as Dandenong, etc. Much better than the metro stadiums we have in Adelaide"

I must've misread the thread originator then.
I wasn't having a playful DIG, so don't go stick'n your neck out mate. ; )

Reply #215620 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

* meant to read:
was, not wasn't.

Reply #215621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754