Quagmire
Years ago

Gotta love old coach Sloan.

Just reading some stuff about the jazz pre-season games, rookie tall (and rumoured sharp-shooter)Kosta Koufos had a shocker against Portland, going 0-5.

Sloan had some fun when he was asked about Koufos having a green light to launch jumpers. Koufos had hit shots with confidence during the Jazz's public scrimmage and first preseason game.

"He's got a green light to go rebound," Sloan said. "He's got a green light to pick up loose balls and all those things that a young guy should do when they step out on the floor. I've never criticized a guy for rebounding too much."

Love the first and last lines. Sloan gold.

Side notes-
1/ Jazz may play AK as a bench guy who closes out games. Seems like it could really work with Korver or CJ starting along with Brewer et al..

2/ Jazz's problems defending inside will not go away, Okur, the starting center had 3 fouls in 5 minutes trying to guard rookie Oden...

Topic #17651 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Everyone is going to struggle to guard Oden.

Reply #207365 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Very true, hope the guy stays injury free...

Portland will be smart though, use him for about 25-30 max a game and not make him a focal point of the offence. Run it through Roy and Aldridge. Look for Oden to get bigger numbers and touches in the play-offs though.

Reply #207366 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

That said, I still think it shows the jazz will continue to struggle defending in the paint with an Okur / Boozer frontcourt.

Reply #207368 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Reminds me of a Dick Motta quote - when he was HC of the Mavs back in `95 - he was asked a question about his outside shooters and he said something along the lines of - "...I have plenty of 3pt shooters, but i need 3pt makers...".

Gotta love the old skool coaches - Sloan, Popp, Mitchell, etc...

Reply #207375 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think you under estimate their defensive abilities. The season will start soon so we will soon see.

Reply #207376 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

"Nobody fights with Jerry because you know the price would be too high. You might come out the winner, at his age, you might even lick him, but you'd lose an eye, an arm, your testicles in the process, everything would be gone."
--Utah Jazz President Frank Layden, on head coach Jerry Sloan

Reply #207381 | Report this post

Bored  
Years ago

Surprised he didn't say he's got green light to flop seeing that's what every player under Sloan does.

Reply #207549 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754