Quagmire
Years ago

Great Basketball quotes

Not sure if its been done before, but here are some quotes that tickled my gigigity...

"I'm often mentioned in the same sentence as Michael Jordan. You know, 'That Scott Hastings, he's no Michael Jordan.'"
-Journeyman center Scott Hastings

"I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care."
-Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player, 1991

"I'm independently wealthy. I have enough money to last me the rest of my life - provided I die tomorrow."
-NBA coach Bill Fitch

"My nose didn't move. It definitely had position."
-Danny Schayes after his nose took an elbow from Hakeem Olajuwon.

Topic #17652 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

"Rebound by one of the big guys & Divac, I think & Hands off to one of the little guards & The big guy with the beard passes off to the little lefty & Boy, I'm having trouble with these names."
--Legendary Boston radio announcer Johnny Most, calling a McDonald's Open game between the Celtics and Jugoplastika Split of Croatia

"I knew it was time to retire when I was driving down the lane and got called for a three-second violation."
--Johnny Kerr, former NBA player and coach

Reply #207380 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious." - Charles Shackleford

Reply #207384 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Chuck Harmison on complaints that the Tigers were way over with their signings this season:

"All I can go by is the paperwork that's submitted to me," Harmison told AAP.

"Each team has to submit a proposed player-payment form. The payments they are making to the players have to be within what my office deems to be their reasonable market value.

"If offers come in that are ridiculous, I say try again."

*COUGH!*

Reply #207407 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

"Sometimes I dream..... that he is me, I just wanna be like...... Chuck"

Charles Barkley 92 Barcelona Olympics

Reply #207416 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

"I'm sick of some of these players.... all they want to talk about is money, money, money...... all i want to do is play basketball, drink Pepsi and wear my Reeboks.

Shaquille O'neal

Reply #207418 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

I remember this interview with Magic Johnson during the 1991 NBA All-Star Game.

--------

Interviewer : Doesn't Isaiah (Thomas) owe you a Pepsi?

Magic : He know it, he know it. See, it turns into a case and then two cases. Then I'll make him buy it in D.C where I can get the money for it. Hahahahahaha.

--------

I had no idea what he was talking about in 1991. 17 years later, I still don't.

Reply #207441 | Report this post

breaklamp  
Years ago

Barkey had a good one recently, saying that Nene isnt a good enough player to go by one name.

Reply #207449 | Report this post

breaklamp  
Years ago

Michael Joran commenting when Stacey King once walked into the bulls locker room carrying a mysterious box, "I hope you have a jump shot in there.".

Reply #207451 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

SM - Assume they have a recycling refund in DC?

Reply #207457 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

SM I think it has something to do with the high crime rate- DC is supposed to have (or had at the time, I'm not sure) one of the highest crime rates in the US, so maybe he just meant he'd sell the cases to get something for them.

Reply #207556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:03 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754