Multi Purpose Dome

The dome has been used over last few weeks for anything but basketball
try this - maintenance to sound system
resurface the floor
inline hockey
netball
futsal soccer
re surface floor
Great that other revenue streams are getting attracted but is it at basketball expense
havent seen the sixers since brett maher wear long socks
cant get a shot up in anger with monday social ball
and district not going to front on saturday at the dome
maximise use please but core business must be basketball
wonder in adelaide united like to build decent indoor facility at thebarton oval - multi purpose but prvide another desperate venue for ball

Topic #17668 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow I see where you're coming from.
WNBL game last friday, what were they thinking!

/end sarcasm

The NBL roster was not written by the dome.

Why not maximise the use of the dome while there are no NBL games scheduled? While there are no junior games being played?

Reply #207513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think they need to keep getting events if its to survive as a viable business location. Just plan better with respect to bball needs.

Reply #207525 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Everyone seems to forget that the Dome is now in the hands of private enterprise and as such the "owners" would need to make money from whatever venture they can attract.
Sure, the stadium was purpose built for basketball. But mismanagement and over extending finances on the part of BASA, now Basketball SA, saw the venue sold to pay back SA Govt loans that otherwise would never have been settled.
Also, everyone seems to forget that this problem would not have occurred if BASA had not insisted on building it's own stadium (white elephant). The Govt originally had a plan whereby BASA and the SA Govt would be partners in the Entertainment Centre and it would be used as a multi-purpose venue. BASA chose to go it alone and look what happened.

Reply #207529 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

You forgot indoor Frisbee Championships

Reply #207534 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

This has been done in the past... but...

I pose this question to Sixers fans who attend games and have also attended a function / concert at the entertainment centre.

Would you prefer to watch the Sixers at the Dome or the Entertainment Centre?

I am all for games to be held the Entertainment Centre.

Reply #207552 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I reckon if I were Venue tix SA manager, I'd have a good look at buying the Dome. A little thing like putting one ATM , there has increased the money spent there.. I think there's a bit you could do with it.

Reply #207558 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

games at the ent cent , would rather watch grass grow

Reply #207583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many Friday or Saturday night games do you think we'd have if the 36ers were playing their games at the Entertainment Centre?

Reply #207585 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

or sunday games

Reply #207595 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind one 36ers game, trying a money back guarantee. Refund if the home game is lost.
Reckon the sponsors would kick in a bit, and bit extra from food and drink etc. and a bit of media.
( If I were venue tix and bought the dome.)

Reply #207603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers and lightning cant even train at the dome, having to train at other venues all week and then play the game at the dome. ridiculous!!!!!

Reply #207621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should learn from the "Entertainment Centre". They bring in overseas Motor-cross try-hards (& $hitloads of dirt) without a murmur of venue costing or damage.

Reply #207624 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Last time I checked the Entertainment Centre has a "cement" floor. Bit hard to damage that with dirt.

Thomo. You seem to forget that most NBA games are played at venues with 'portable floors' and it seems to work. We haven't seen a game at the Entertainment Centre so it's a bit hard to judge if the venue would be good or bad.

For Venuetix to buy the Dome and use it as an "Entertainment/Concert Venue" they would have to have the zoning changed by the council (as has previously been posted). I'm not too sure if this would happen?

Reply #207637 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

There was a game there of soughts years back when Noarlunga played the crows in a charity match.

Not NBL standard but shows the court could be set up there etc.

Reply #207638 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Govt/Council restrictions for sport only events.
No concerts are allowed.
They probably would make a bit of a loss in the first year. But could be worthwhile with a bit of marketing.

Reply #207639 | Report this post

ballerbands  
Years ago

Pretty sure the New York Knicks dont get to train at madison Square Garden. These stadiums need to be used for as much as possible...they are a business not a charity to the sixers!

Reply #207643 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looking 'round at the last game, there seemed to be more money spent on drink food merchandise etc, than admission. That's why I'd be keen to consult with Mal, sponsors, media etc, for one game, refund if sixers lose, as a promotion. The crowd helps them win.
Sixers have to lose it first, which is unlikely.
But I don't think you'd lose money on it.

Reply #207647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel ho much of food and drink sales do you think goes back to the club? I think you'll find that at most venues the catering sales stay with the catering company and venue not the team/club.

Reply #207659 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm thinking in terms of being the venue owner. In particular, if I were with Venue tix, and having a look at buying the dome.

Reply #207667 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

came those thoughts are as alays spot on
if venue tex had canteen rifghts you think door money be the cream
what about free carparking to entice people to actually get to the game - thought if easier to get to game more revenue
more children - free entry - free kids always bring free spending mum / dad
promote

Reply #207721 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Maybe.
Just want one game, first. That is money back if lost. A bit of media, sponsorship for it would be no problem.

Reply #207723 | Report this post

sharpeshooter  
Years ago

went to that crows charity game at the ent cent... thought that the venue was really good from a spectator point of view. at least the court resurfacing after the inline hockey was paid for by the organisers of that event.

Reply #207727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel I really don't understad your logic.

You want the club to refund your ticket money if they lose and the venue should make this happen?

How do you propose that happens? What reason would the club have to risk thousands of dollars? Dragons did it in their first year I think and they lost the game and had to offer everyone free entry to the next game. Not only did it cost them a heap of cash but it didn't really lift sales numbers anyway. The regulars just got a free game.

anon I think $7 for a child's ticket is pretty good, I don't think you can do better then that at a National League level. And I'm pretty sure the price of parking your car goes to covering costs not someone's pocket.

Reply #207730 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

My logic is that is a good night there, for people of all ages, if we win. I don't want the club to lose any money. I want the venue owner to put it up as a promotion, with the media, and to round up some sponsorship dollars, and make extra from food and drink to cover it. Which I think you could.

Reply #207732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you have no idea of the figures but good on you for having a go!

Reply #207733 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I haven't got exact figures on it. I'd be relying on some sponsorship dollars for it, and a news worhty item for promotion of it. Reckon you could get close to cover it, assuming the unlikely loss of the game.

Reply #207734 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

court resurfacing was never going to cost the club, it was covered by the insurance of the hockey,

atmosphere at the dome is 2nd to none, and would be lost in the cast emptyness of the ent cent, been to games interstate at ent cents and there dull and boring with massive parts curtained off

and venuetix would make good use of the dome i believe there offices for venutix and there other branch weslo would be moved into the complex.

Reply #207735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly venuetix will lose out big time shortly. The ent center is building a smaller venue that will take show away from thebarton theater. So venuetix which run thebarton will lose money. Buying the dome may just save them some of the lost revenue? Sorry if I've spelled names wrong.

Reply #207740 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Agree, Thomo ; atmosphere is 2nd to none, at the Dome.
That's why if I bought the Dome, I'd throw on that one game refund, as a promotion for it.
Maybe if the Kings have already done it, then it's not such a novel idea. I'd like to take advice on the figures. But, would have some impact with media etc., here. As I say, confident of getting sposorship to cover it.

Reply #207749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel at a guess and including season ticket holders I'd suggest the club would lose about $75,000 if they had to give 4,500 people a refund.

If they got a decent crowd of say 6,000 that figure would be up near 100k.

That's a big risk for the Club to take for one game, and I still don't understand how the venue owner makes that happen.

Reply #207750 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

OK. Mal is presently dealing with venuetix for the sale of the dome, on behalf of his partner Eddy Groves. I'd like to buy the dome, but I want one sixers game promoted as a money back guarantee, and I'll put up the $100,000, but, I want some media and sponsorship dollars for it, and your assistance in doing that.

Reply #207752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel my point has been all along that this type of stunt has nothing to do with the venue. A venue can not put forward a suggestion like this in today's business world. A home game in any sporting code is run by the club/league/association of that sport not the venue. The venue is simply there to provide a location and particular services.

In the case of the Adelaide 36ers if the club wanted to do this then they could do it without the venue's involvement.

The venue itself IMO would have little to gain. If for one game the 36ers pulled an extra 1,500 people I'd suggest that would mean an extra $5k tops in income from car parking/catering. Even if sponsors could cover some of the cost, good luck getting sponsors to put up even half of the projected 100k considering the state of the economy and also the sport of basketball.

IMO this would be nothing more then a cheap stunt anyway, that would not do anything for the club or (as you keep wanting to involve it) the venue long term, as the Dragons found out the hard way.

Reply #207759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754