Isaac
Years ago

Boti: 36ers to swap slow starters

It's a few days old now, but a recent article by Boti Nagy suggests that 36ers coach Scott Ninnis has some changes in mind for Adelaide's starting lineup:

Adelaide will revamp its opening line-up against Wollongong after another soft start, this time against reigning NBL champion Melbourne for consecutive blow-outs.
"In the two big losses, we only had two players who could walk away feeling they played okay.

"This time it was Luke and Balls. Against NZ it was Jacob (Holmes) and Luke. That just isn't enough for us.
I think we can guess that Schenscher would be one change, but at whose expense, and might there be another change worth making? (Might be reading too much into Boti's plural of "starters" in his headline, or that could just be the work of his editor.)

Ballinger is our leading scorer, and I can't see him starting on the bench. Holmes is steady and tops us for minutes per game (from memory). And Luke is probably the one to start at centre.

But who goes to the bench out of Bruce, Maher and Tyndale?

Then, Lanard Copeland was quoted earlier in the week saying that Davidson works better with Maher than Bruce. If Davidson was fully fit, could we see him starting to steady the team?

How do you think we could match up against the Hawks?

Topic #17669 | Report this topic

bretts the man  
Years ago

The obvious change is of course Schensher to start .
I would not start Bruce I think his feet left the ground for a while and definetly adds something different to the team in his run and gun style which would be good as a injection later on in the first qtr. Davo style is what Brett is used to and we need Brett confident from 1st toss. With that in mind I would add Balls and Holmes to starting line up to get off to a good solid start with Bruce and Tyndale to come in to have a impact.
Although this is a strengthened team Balls and Brett were always going to be main scorers for season lets get them confident with a steady defensive and attacking unit. Thats my suggestion anyway in what is a crucial match for all involved at sixers

Reply #207539 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I would go for Davidson, Maher, Holmes, Ballinger and Schenscher.

Bruce and Tyndale to spark off the bench.

Reply #207545 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes, The Journo. You'd have to give that a try, for the next game, definately.
( We know Schensch. is a slow starter.. nerves? cold off the bench.)

Reply #207546 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Definitely cold off the bench, and can you imagine what itd do for your phsycological confidence as a 'recruit' expected to play serious minutes and be main contributor just to be playing back up minutes!

Anyone who has played at a decent level knows how much it can suck coming off the bench, especially when you SHOULD be starting, and not due to others injuries etc

The starting 5 situation hasnt been handled well at all so far IMO

Reply #207594 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Interesting comments re Davidson and Maher a better combo. From what I've seen Maher gets the ball more when Davidson is on court purely cause there is very little else going, no one creating so they go with ball to Maher.

Bruce on the other hand is always looking to create and looking for that pass. Bruce and Maher will come with time.

I'd be starting;
Bruce
Tyndale
Holmes
Ballinger
Schens

depending on opposition maher comes in pretty early for Tyndale (unless he is doing something good other than cherry pick rebounding -ok thats a bit harsh) and Davidson not long after in for Bruce.

Cooper can rotate through Ballinger/Schens.

Reply #207596 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

I would start with Bruce, Maher, Tyndale, Ballinger and Schenscher. I think Jacob Holmes is an okay player, but not as good as he could be. I would bring him and Davidson into the game early for Bruce and Tyndale and play Ballinger and Maher for more minutes.

Reply #207602 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Bron, you are wrong. Holmes has been just about our best player so far this season.

I'd move Maher to the bench, Schenscher into the starting five. Schenscher coming off the bench generally has meant that for periods in the 2nd and 4th quarters both he and Cooper are on the court at the same time, which WILL NOT work.

I'd also be trying to concentrate on an 8 man rotation with Cooper and Hill getting fewer minutes.

Reply #207632 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

Mutley you are wrong. Why would you have your best player start on the bench. my idea would work. yours would not.

Reply #207934 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754