Isaac
Years ago

NBL 08/09 - Who is beating expectations?

I had been thinking that a topic about expectations for the NBL season would be interesting, but was beaten to it by the recent topic about underperforming teams.

There's still room to discuss which players, clubs and other elements around the league are doing better than you expected.

I'll start it up with Luke Schenscher. I expected Luke to play a role that would be handy more than dominant and might even disappoint a few "He played in the NBA so will get 25 and 15 in the NBL" people. My expectation was for about 14 points and 8 rebounds a game and though he's narrowly topping that with 15.7 PPG and 7.8 RPG, he's doing so in under 27 MPG. Adjust to 32 MPG and that's 18.6 PPG and 9.2 RPG.

Phill Jones' 17 PPG in 26 MPG off the bench (thanks to 64% from outside) is a step up from his 14 PPG from last year.

Shane Heal's 40+ MPG and Daniel Joyce's 25+ MPG. Giving less than 15 MPG to Pero Cameron is not going to make him any fitter or happier.

Russell Hinder's 12.2 PPG and 8.4 RPG helping Townsville to a reasonable start. (John Rillie: 6.6 PPG!? Could be averaging more posts per week than points per game...)

Derrick Low's 20.3 PPG. Based on his pre-season shooting, I wasn't sure if he could give them enough, but he's doing just fine. Liam Rush's 16 and 7 plus Julian Khazzouh's 15 and 10 are decent also.

Actually, for some gutsy wins, you have to give the entire Spirit team a nod.

Anthony Petrie at the Hawks putting up 13.9 and 6.7 and, in the process, outscoring Cam Tragardh, Mat Campbell and Kavossy Franklin. Actually, adjust for minutes played and he'd lead the team in scoring, two clear of Rychart even. He and Jones might be early candidates for sixth man of the year?

Who have I missed?

Topic #17716 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I will nominate Isiah Victor as beating my expectations. He showed glimpses when nailed to the Goorian bench last season but always made me think he played little minutes for a reason.

Connor Henry seems to have found a great spot for him in the Wildcats line up.

Reply #208096 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

I have been impressed with the Spirit this year. While not having an outstanding roster, they have managed to get a few good wins on the board. You look at their roster and they still have alot of young,upcoming development players like Khazzou,Martyn etc.

Reply #208146 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I expected better from Tigers when you think about how good they were with Mac but then, it's still early

Reply #208160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754