Isaac
Years ago

Maher: Work to do, creating an identity

Adelaide 36ers captain, Brett Maher admits there's work to do but has faith in his team.

Boti Nagy writes for Fox Sports, quoting Maher on the result of the Hawks game last Friday:

"It was disappointing because the leadership group got together and discussed what we want this team's identity to be," Maher said.

"Through the week we met as a whole team and we wanted to see guys buy in and contribute in different areas.

"I thought everyone did a pretty good job of contributing to that."
"As yet we haven't executed as well as we'd like and 80 per cent of our scores come off broken or one-on-one plays. Defensively I think we've taken one charge in four games and that's always a good gauge of whether guys are willing to put their bodies on the line."

Clearly they're not and unless that changes virtually overnight, all the off-season promise will amount to the same as that of a desperate politician in election week.
Full article: Identity crisis as 36ers in depths

The article also includes quotes from coach Scott Ninnis on what the team needs to do.

The mention of charges reminds me of a story of Reesy not wanting to take part in a charge-taking drill. Might've thought "taking a charge" was money related?

Need to make this team angry. Not some faux-boxing work out. Some surprise beatings with pieces of bamboo? Don't go after Schensch about his hair or height, because he's immune to comments about both - maybe talk down his beloved customised car and see if that fires him up?

What would you try? Maybe start a rumour that the least bruised players will get traded to the Blaze?

Topic #17718 | Report this topic

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Lets start a rumour that the least effective interior defender/rebounder is going to get replaced by Neil Mottram.

Reply #208104 | Report this post

Old Days!  
Years ago

Hey Isaac

I'd bring in Gordon Ramsay to shake things up!!!

He'd either toughen them up or make them cry!!

Reply #208105 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

or they would get lost in the crevase of one of his rinkles

Reply #208108 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I like that Scott points out that defence and rebounding are constants. They are genuine effort based stats. Shots may drop, may go cold, solid D and board work are usually a reflection of endevour.

Noticed the Hawks had 20 Of boards comp to our 11...

10 extra shots...

We lost by 10pts...

It's like Jazz coach Sloan said when asked if his players had the green light to shoot;

"They have the green light to rebound and play D"

Reply #208116 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Money makes the world go round! Start docking pays for defensive lapses. They are paid to win games, so if the reason they are losing is slack defensive either charge them for poor D or reward them for Good D.

Reply #208128 | Report this post

Years ago

Would be interesting wouldn't it if players were paid by stats. with a heavy bias towards the effort areas.

Reply #208131 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would be interesting to try that - maybe in a pre-season series. Top dollar for a block or steal, but you risk fouling out and curbing your earnings.

Reply #208141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Internet warriors demanding effort, when they obviously aren't subject to a "Cap" lock.
Get back to work, you LOOSERS.

Reply #208142 | Report this post

Years ago

Loosers?........FFS!

Reply #208143 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Anonymous #208142:

Go back to 2nd grade, loser.

Reply #208145 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

just have a clause that everyone gets a bit extra if they hold the opposition to below say 90 points, or do the reverse cut everyone a bit if the opposition scores more than say 95, and they lose. Wonder if that would pick up the hustle

Reply #208150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #208142, hear. ; )
Lighten up guys.

Reply #208194 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A "commission" type basis is something that I have suggested in the past but that would not really work under the salary cap in that you would not be able to predict to the exact dollar how much you will be spending on the players. If you want to put them on contracts that total less than the salary cap to allow room for additional payments for performance, then you won't get players to sign. Whilst an incentive of additional payment is good, no one is going to sign on a lesser contract to make room for these additional payments. What you really need is good, honest down to earth players that will willingly put in 100% every time simply because they have the passion for the win and know that is what they are being paid for.

Reply #208196 | Report this post

gregory  
Years ago

like dusty, hey ec! idiot.

Reply #208199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DDFan, a return to the war against "keyboard warriors", eh?

Reply #208200 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

gregory, you are an idiot. Your comment doesn't even make sense. Go back to school and get yourself an education.

Reply #208201 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

lol I understood it EC.

you said "What you really need is good, honest down to earth players that will willingly put in 100% every time simply because they have the passion for the win and know that is what they are being paid for."

gregory said "like dusty, hey ec!"

...then called you an idiot.

makes perfect sense :P

Reply #208207 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No need to call them an idiot at all. For one thing, I'd hope we can all aim for some sense of civility, and for another, what team wouldn't want players who will give their all every game on the road or at home? That wish is hardly exclusive to someone who happens to like Rychart.

Reply #208212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac
"DDFan, a return to the war against "keyboard warriors", eh?"

All tongue in cheek mate, intentional mis-spelling included. ; )

Reply #208216 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

No team should ever have stat based incentives.

Give Coops $100 per block and watch him foul out in under 5 min!

Give Bruce $100 per steal and watch him cheat on D all game and the team suffer.

Give Ballinger $100 for every charge and watch him flop more than Vlade! (while the ball handler shoots uncontested shots.)

Give the team a bonus if they hold opponents to under 90, more if its under 80- and watch them play slow ball.

Maybe a simple formulae based on salary and wins?

Just win.

Plus the extra money for playing finals...

Reply #208224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And where is the coach held accountable in any of this? You can't dock players pay as somethings they can't control.

Perhaps the coach should figure out his starting 5 and combinations and take off people who aren't performing............

Reply #208265 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You make a fair point, but on taking out non-performers, he did: Brett Maher came off the bench in the last game. Three of the other starters in that game have been doing pretty well and Tyndale hasn't be awful, nor is there anyone fit and ready to really replace him as a starter.

Reply #208289 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

It'll be a very interesting contest Sat night. Perth've copped plenty from their fans for their long scoring lapses, so they'll come here with a point to prove. On their night they've shown they can beat anyone. I'm not sure that we've shown that yet, but it's early days. Having said that, I'm a bit slow & just noted that we've only got 4 carry-over players from our 10 of last season. I've got no gripe with the roster, & I'm confident that when we get through our injury woes, we'll be on track. Winnie didn't get much celebration from you guys when he was signed, but he's definitely got a place & will be huge, when he returns to full strength.
Last season we saw first hand how having Davo out, hurt us badly. From my experiences through last season, you needn't lose any sleep over Davo's commitment. He'd be more frustrated than any of us, with his injury status & would be working tirelessly to get back to his best. Brett's obviously worked hard in the off-season, & looked in great form in both of this season's home games. Brett's the man, he'll deliver.
Adam's a major part of our team, & he too has an injury cloud. I've got massive props for the guy, & he'd be playing through whatever, to lift the team.
I'll let you in on a little secret, players are deadset angry when they lose, you guys get off lightly. ; )
We've had a massive overhaul in the off season (which you guys called for & got), we've had some SA lads return home (which I appreciate), & we're a lot younger than last year (which you guys called for & got). That last win for you guys, brings with it a significant reduction in experience & stability to our game, so take that onboard before demanding miracles.
Love the game, win or lose. Join the team. *** It ain't gonna happen, but I can dream. *** ; )

Reply #208372 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I actually agree with pretty much all of that DD. A little annoyed that it looks like the first game Winitana will be 100% fit for is NEXT SUNDAY though. 3 of the next 4 at home, I'll reserve my judgement until then. I will say this though, unless the defense dramatically improves we aren't going anywhere.

Reply #208385 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Speaking of injuries, from an article yesterday:

"Paora got through the session today which was very good," Ninnis said.

"Brett didn't train. Normally he trains on Monday and has Tuesday off but we did it in reverse this week because he had a bit of a niggle in his calf.

"We wanted to give him an extra day to help get past it.

Ninnis said 2008 revelation Brad Davidson still was not completely back to his feisty on-court persona.

"He maybe only did about a third of the session before he experienced stiffness in the lower back," Ninnis said. "We train really well whenever we have him out there."
Really need to get Davidson back to full strength.

Reply #208390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754