Anonymous
Years ago

Basketball Needs a Champions League

I really do not understand why basketball doesn't have its own equivalent on the champions league. Basketball should follow soccer format of a champions league for every continent (except Australia should also be included in Asia basketball as well) and then a world champions league consisting of the champions of each continent. The Asian champions league has generate massive amounts of excitement and interest in Adelaide with Adelaide United getting to play against the powerhouse Asian teams (and drawing huge media attention as they win!). It also presents Adelaide with the opportunity to play against world-class teams like Manchester United, AC Milan etc if they win the Asian Champions league. Imagine having this in basketball. Aussie teams playing against Asian teams and then even NBA and European teams if they won. Sure the Aussie teams wouldn't stand a chance of winning it all but it sure would be exiting. FIBA really should look into something like this. I believe they used to have something like what I'm talking about called the McDonalds Championship. Why did that close down? Did the Sixers get to play against any NBA teams?

Topic #17724 | Report this topic

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Won't happen - ever notice that the NBA Champions also carry the World Champion moniker? The NBA will not let it happen cause they don't want to destroy their products perceived superiority... The McDonalds Championship was more of a hassle for the NBA team than anything else - and they used what was virtually a summer L team (and still romped them in). The Wildcats played Houston back in '95 in the MC, but the Sixers missed out on playing the NBA rep the time they went.

This all goes out the window if the NBA creates an NBA Europe or NBA Asia for example though.

Reply #208193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think an Asian Champions League is part of the revamp plan?

Reply #208203 | Report this post

lucky  
Years ago

Lets just face it... basketball is going nowhere in this country. They can't even get the NBL format right let alone think about other establishing a champions league. Great game to play by all means but at the end of the day is sport dominated by America and it's players. Even Andrew Bogut looks down on the NBL with everything else a 7 footer has to look down upon! It's no suprise so many talented basketballers who make it professional or to NBL level try their luck at footy.

Reply #208214 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

A "Champions League" style competition does exist for the FIBA Asia zone with SABA Battery of Iran being the most recent winners. Sadly the quality of the sides involved is so poor that there is no point lobbying to for NBL clubs to be a part of it.

FIBA World Club Championship (i.e. the old McDonald's Open) is back on the cards for next year. The 2008/09 NBL Champions will gain automatic entry representing Oceania.

Reply #208281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Source Julian?

Reply #208306 | Report this post

Eruoleague  
Years ago

Can anyone say Euroleague

Reply #208337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah but can you spell it?

Reply #208525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754