Frank Drebbin
Years ago

Worst Basketball Moments

With the recent spitting incident in Tennis I wish for people to shed some light into the nasty world of Basketball. I know we had the huge brawl in America but I'm looking for other interesting incidents that may have occurred in the NBL

Topic #1779 | Report this topic

Street & Smith's  
Years ago

Grant Kruger?

Reply #20199 | Report this post

The Sixers signing Charles Thomas

Reply #20202 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Kermit Washington and Rudy Tomjanovich. A broken cheekbone from the ugliest incident to then in the NBA.

The Sixers and Victoria Giants melee the other year wasn't good.

John Stockton's shorts in the late 1990s were bad. Move with the times, Stock!

And finally, David Spear's beard from the mid to late 1980s. It was bad then, and still makes the all-time list!

Reply #20203 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anything involving Marcus Wright.

Reply #20212 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Marcus Wright? Let's not get defamatory here. I was going to say something about Lester Fonville's offensive arsenal, or Kent Lockhart's willingness to play defense ..... but I decided not to.

Reply #20215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Find anyone in basketball to say something positive about Marcus Wright, and I'll take it back. ;)

Reply #20216 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Hey Moses what about Lester's offensive arsenal??

Reply #20217 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

The worst NBL incident was a few years ago, here at The Powerhouse (as it was back then).

WE were playing the Kings, back in their "choker" days, and I think they managed to beat us.

There had been a few minor skirmishes during the game, with Rees, Cattalini, Heal and Nielsen being the main catalysts (when Neilsen was that very young hot head he was known for).

The marketing department had wisely got all these little computer shaped stress balls, which went into the corwd during the game. End of the game, Nielsen was pelted with a few of the balls, and he promptly retalitaed with a nice little finger gesture.

Also, probably the incident with Melbourne owner Seamus McPeake, and the FOX camera, and the finger to the cheersquad a few years back is probably a note worthy one.

Reply #20225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant remember which team it was against but the then South ABL coach, Scanlon, head butting the opposition coach at the end of the game was not too good.

Reply #20229 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Lester's offensive arsenal? If the guy had moves, he would've made it to the NBA. Top bloke to hang with, and a wicked dunk and blocking ability, but sadly that was it. Was sad he never played NBL - the guy had it "going on"!

Reply #20230 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Remember a game that Lester played at Athol Park v Woodville. Cant be exactly sure of the numbers but they were something like 43 pts 28 RB 12 assists and 14 blocks.

You are right when you say it is a shame he never made the NBA. His attitude sucked most nights but in that one game he showed how much talent he wasted.

Becuase he was not to good upstairs his manager made off with all his money from his signing with Portland.

Reply #20239 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

letting bradke and wheeler go and the signing of paul rogers he did sweet FA for us

Reply #20281 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

When the 36ers had the male cheerleader!

Reply #20295 | Report this post

Karl Marx  
Years ago

Len Bias, gets drafted, dies that night overdosing on coke.

Reply #20298 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

While we're on to Len Bias, Hank Gathers' incident was tragic. Died of a heartattack during a game, expected to be a big-time pro the next year. Had an irregular heartbeat.

Reply #20307 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

So too Reggie Lewis.

Bobby Hurley's car accident before he made a mark in the NBA.

But the worst moment would have to be the Pistons V Pacers fight....global impact for the sport.

Reply #20325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Speaking of that brawl, Stephen Jackson made his return to the NBA today -- 17 points and 5 rebounds.

Apparently Ron Artest has returned to training with the team also.

Reply #20326 | Report this post

Petro  
Years ago

Drazen Petrovic's car accident was tragic too. I still think he is the best European to ever play in the NBA. He opened the door to the NBA for some many European players.

Reply #20327 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Drazin Petrovic's car crash!

Reply #20328 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Malik Sealy's car prang was pretty bad as well. It messed up KG for awhile......

Reply #20333 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

2004 NBA Dunk Comp was a tragic event as well.......

Reply #20335 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Watched a bootleg copy of Petrovic scoring 60 in the Euro Champions league final for Real Madrid. Ridiculous

Reply #20345 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

On a more local, and much(?) less tragic note, I can still see the guy who snapped his patella tendon when shooting from half way to win the car whilst wearing dress shoes....

Ouch....

Reply #20347 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Worst basketball moment - I give my season ticket to my sister's boyfriend for the night, my seat gets picked for the half time shot-for-car.

He played for the then Southern Districts. Of course he can't shoot. Wastes chance with an airball.

I'm still receiving counselling

Reply #20351 | Report this post

H  
Years ago

Let me gues doc - your shot would have been a sky hook?

Reply #20352 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Damn straight.

"No, no. That's Ghana. You my friend, are shooting for the Sudan!"

Billy Hoyle style.

Reply #20355 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

port adelaide being a venue for basketball games
(directed at thedoctor)

Reply #20366 | Report this post

Clutch  
Years ago

Dave Claxton

Reply #20435 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Dan the Man discovering this forum

Reply #20440 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

We have ourselves a winner!

Reply #20442 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Cheezeburgervaluemeal, I'm not sure how a stadium and it's function can be referred to as a 'basketball moment'.

Reply #20456 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Bloody Frustrated with all those pampered american lover boys in the NBA who think they own the world.

Apart from a select few (G.Hill one of them) most are spoiled brats who i wish could have a week in the real world!

Whew! I feel much better now

Reply #20565 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

fix the stadium up doctor

Reply #20566 | Report this post

when petrovic scored 112 points in a croatian league game. he was 40 of 60 from the field. he is and always will be my idol. i personally think he was the best.rest in peace

Reply #28704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754