vanexel31
Years ago

retired NBA stars to NBL? why not?

one thing ive always wondered is why nbl teams are not chasing some of the recently retired nba players. players like hodge in there prime are after money to set themselves up fnancially. If the league chased retired nba players who had a long career, money wouldnt be an issue. take guys like van exel, allan houston or penny hardaway. 3 guys who have made millions, wanted to keep playing but couldnt get through the riggers of an 82 game season. the nbl wold be perfect, great weather, good schools, 30 game season and as kevin brooks once said a high school atmosphere. were english speaking, and the girls here druhl all over them. they would draw big crowds, hell if penny hardaway was playing id pay to go see even at this age. thoughts?

Topic #17823 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

They would be similar to players like Romario. Too old, too slow, not strong enough. They wouldn't be worth it.

Reply #209081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it all depends on the age of the player, like kingjames said some people would be to old, but some people retire young so it might be worth a look at some people, no one comes to mind for me at the moment though.

Reply #209085 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Because they wouldn't get out of bed for less than 6 zero's...doesn't matter how much money they have, they have been acustomed to big dollars.

Reply #209087 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

This topic should be banned....comes up 5-6 times per season

Reply #209088 | Report this post

Years ago

Coz they can live off their NBA pensions, in great weather, good schools, in an english speaking country... where the girls still drool over them...

Reply #209094 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

id take all three over what tyndale is doing at the moment. allan houston could average what tyndale is averaging and draw a much bigger crowd. derrick alston played decent for the breakers last year and he was a nba dud past his prime, never a quality nba player. not saying it would always work out but they are better than some of the imports playing in the league right now. we got mark price to come out here and coach, dont think the dragons paid him 6 figures.

Reply #209099 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

shawn kemp, rodman (who does want money though),,, theres 2 players who are older and want to play and will draw full crowds

Reply #209103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Houston is on the Knicks roster.

Price would've definitely received six figures (you might be thinking zero instead of figure though).

What about Hawkins at the Blaze? Injuries are the last thing we need!

Reply #209105 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

You could probably sell SA's progressive 'hoochie weed' policy and primacy within the national supply chain to a few guys i'd say...

Imagine - Damon Stoudamire and Sheed Wallace being introduced to the Dome home crowd with (fresh bong) smoke and lasers - tastefully accompanied to the soothing melodies of Cypress Hill...

Reply #209109 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

sorry meant 6 zero's, whoops! houston got cut, here is small article: Allan Houston will likely be moving from the backcourt to the front office. The New York Knicks announced yesterday that, starting immediately, there will be on-going discussions with the guard about a new position within the franchise. The 37-year-old Houston has not played since the 2004-05 NBA season and was hoping to make a comeback this year. A sore quadriceps muscle has sidelined him for all the Knicks' preseason games.

Reply #209111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the NBA pension has a clause in it that they don't get paid if they play in a professional league...

That was why Luc Longley couldn't play for the Wildcats... he gets something like $4m a year through pension, so why would you play for $175000 to lose $4m?

Reply #209114 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I am not sure that is quite right anon.

Longley cant play due to his insurance pay out and the Sixers came close to signing Sedale Threatt a few years back as a 40 something who was still able to tear it up.

Reply #209154 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Don't get the NBA pension and Insurance mixed up. A player who has qualified for the NBA pension (something like 5 years in the league and/or 300 games)will receive it for the rest of their life, regardless of their playing future.

And don't underestimate the talent in the NBL - our league is well coached and deep in talent - to just assume an ex-NBA player could come down here and tear it up is wrong.

I think Penny Hardaway would strugggle, as would Houston. They are just not quick enough anymore.

Reply #209182 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

i disagree with them being to slow. hardaway strated a few games last season for the miami heat and houston only just got cut from the knicks and there too slow for the nbl? there both 37 years old and what darryl mcdonald a player who never played nba is still a quality pg in the league at age 43. shane heal is 38 and still decent. gaze and copeland were still decent players after 40, so why couldnt a former nba all star be productive in the nbl at 37?

Reply #209225 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

vanexel31- you have to think about the milage those players have, anytime you're put through 81+ (back then it was 81 game regular season) games season that's tough on your body. *Note: that more than doubles the amount you play in NBL. (something funny...Sedale can't really even walk properly no more)

NBA all stars simply don't think it's worth the energy to put through the whole season of basketball especially if they've already had success with the biggest basketball stage in the world. They got nothing to prove.

Mentally even if they're signed they won't be productive because they're not really playing for the history page...(internationally people won't remember them as NBL MVP etc.)

Reply #209267 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The Aussie dollar so weak now.. (as Isaac mentioned on another thread).. It would cost us a whole lot more

Reply #209268 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

LA BOY why do these players need to prove anything? what did jordan have to prove when coming back to washington? what did magic have to prove when he came back to la in 96? sometimes people just enjoy playing and that is enough alone. I also understand the risk in this, these players have considerable wear and tear but look at robert parish, kareem abdul jabbar, jordan and kevin willis who all did fine in there 40's. gaze hardly ever took a off season and played well into his 40's. with the import quality decreasing rapidly and the league in need of fans and support to survive my opinion is someone needs to look at doing something different. personally im not drawn to go see the mark tyndale's, derrick low's, rick rickert's the list goes on. julius hodge was great but i think is signing last year was very lucky and finding another hodge just impossible.

Reply #209292 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I said, they came back to make mark on history page of NBA, MJ came back to save his team (he was the owner of Washington) and they did end up making truck loads of money when he played...

Trust me, I'm right involved in this, the physical demand of a NBL season is in no way comparable to NBA. It's not right to talk about Gaze and Mac playing well in NBL in their 40s because it's a different game. And if you ever get the chance to ask Mac about the difference of basketball in Australia and US he'll tell you exactly what I'm telling you right now.

Even if Gaze played all year round the amount of games added up still won't match let alone the difference in physical demands of NBA (and that's why he couldn't stay in there)

You have to understand, those players come back from retirement for two reasons: 1. make money because they're financially struggling 2. make history in the page of NBA
no offense I don't see NBL offering neither and I don't think they really played that well, coaches played them more so respect then anything...

Reply #209415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754