Quagmire
Years ago

Unlucky Kobe? Celtic D questioned.

Anyone who has read my posts knows i'm no Kobe fan. But my spirit of fair compitition outways personal beefs. This video shows some pretty damning footage of the techniques (most illegal) used by the Celtics to defeat the Kobe lead Lakers last finals.

http://linky.com.au/2mt9f

It reminds me of the how a game can be decided by what the refs will or won't call. Like the old Melb Magic teams coached by Boy Goorj- physical teams that relied on the refs letting it slide. Pushing the rules to the very extreme.

It also shows how once a team has a certain identity, it can have a great influence on how the officials call a game.

The video shows how much pressure the Celts put on Kobe- but i am still left noticing the wide open shooters Kobe ignores. You gotta take what the D gives you- if they double or triple you every time- make the pass every time, not when it suits you. Also, Kobe seems to like the flash pass to a player near the bucket, yet refrains from the simple kick to an open Fisher or other Laker gunner.

Anyway- good video worth a close look.

Topic #17841 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Who couldn't have guessed it was your thread :P

Whoever made that video needs a box of tissues and needs to get over it! For the first 5 minutes of the video he talks about how the Celtics played good team defence on Kobe.... errrr So what it is the NBA Finals what is his point? How is this unfair to Kobe??? He makes the comparison that it is unfair as Jordan never had to play against taller players and Zones... So what?? The next 5 minutes he goes on about how Boston did unfair tactics the whole series including holding Kobe (Who doesn't?), Hand checking Kobe (everyone in the NBA hand checks!) and what ever rubbish he could find that could have been called fouls. I'm sure there was lots of plays where Lakers were holding, hand checking etc that weren't called for fouls yet here is this guy trying to act like Kobe was robbed. I give him credit for the dramatic music and zooming up of plays however anyone could have a good argument by showing one side of the story like he did!

He tries to show assure us that he is not biased yet the whole thing is a biased one sided example after example

Reply #209335 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Kobe never had to play the Bad Boy Pistons or early 1990's Knicks teams to get to the Finals. End of discussion.

Reply #209336 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Oh it screams bias, but the moving screens by KG are pretty damning, as is the amount of holding that goes on- did you see the way PJ Brown cleared the lane!

I maintain that Kobe needed to make the simpler passes to open shooters. Every time he cut across the lane, shooters were open in both corners. And i mean open.

It does seem odd that the holding and pushing that went on seemed similar to the way the Jazz defended Kobe, but with completely different results... The refs torched the jazz which brings me back to my point about how the style of officiating can have a huge influence on the game.

Reply #209338 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Quagmire, has anyone looked at whether LA's defence was "fair" on Paul Pierce? Not having a go at you, but it is relevant if the same calls were let go at the opther end.

That is of course if you consider what LA served up in the Finals as defence. :)

Reply #209343 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Its pretty obvious that the video is real biased- just thought i would post it and let people make of it what they like.

My observations were that Kobe only likes to make the flashy pass to the hoop for a big finish as opposed to a simple pass to an open shooter. Whether that was at Phils request i don't know (i havn't spoken to phil since i sold him that sketchy weed).

I also noticed how a team can create an identity and influence officials like the Goorj teams of the NBL.

I remember hearing doc rivers talk about defending MJ using the elbow tap. When MJ shot those fade aways, doc knew he couldn'y block the shot, so he would every so lightly touch the elbow of the shooting arm. Apparently the slightest touch can make a shot powerless and results in short airballs. It is also real hard for the refs to spot it as it only has to be the slightest contact. Its no surprise to see the celts using this technique to great advantage.

Also- how about Posey and his technique of fouling extra hard after the initial whistle?! Slight blocking foul gets called, then Posey goes the bear hug! Just to fire the opponent up. Dodgey.

Reply #209345 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trash talk also fires an opponent up - so be it.

Brown clearing the lane just looked like a one-off awkward blunder more than anything.

Reply #209351 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Dodgey? Maybe. Doing everything to help your (2nd)team win a championship and then netting yourself 24 milion dollars as a reserve from that exact kind of play? I'd say its very savvy play

Reply #209356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i huge Celtics Fan i went over last season & saw 6 games ...the lakers are LOSERS!!! Long live BANNER 17 ...BACK to BACK here we come...

Reply #209408 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

The one that really pisses me off is Posey. I reckon he's the type of guy who would be great friends with Russ Hinder.

Reply #209417 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Thanks Quagmire for posting it up...Ready for the new season though!!!

Actually last week I was at the coaching clinic with Mac and Sedale and Mac was like "you boys got to suck it up! ref don't always call the fouls just keep playing!" that was pretty funny because Mac was reffing and there WERE pretty hard fouls during training uncalled.

Reply #209419 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

the whole video all i see is man to man defence, and when kobe gets ball and make move to score he gets double teamed and rest of defence looks at him, wow didn't know that was now a zone, WTF!!! as for "hard fouls" didn't see many of them if any, but did see a shit load of travels

Reply #209433 | Report this post

sharpeshooter  
Years ago

Posey was great for the Celts in the post season.... nothing wrong with what he was doing.... i'm sure the ref's would have called him for a tech or un-sportsman like foul if it was warrented. Him not being in a Boston uniform hurts their claims for back to back titles.... IMO

Reply #209445 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

now I didn't really follow his movement. Anyone tell me why he left? Hornet offered him more money? Because if he wants to win a championship Celtics is probably his better bet (now you'll never hear that from me again)

Reply #209464 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

He's already got two rings, and NOH could be up there this year.

Plus at Boston he was battling Pierce and Allen for minutes, at the Hornet's he could almost be a starter.

Reply #209468 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

NO is up there but there's still definite gaps between them and Lakers and Boston though. You looking at match ups: KG, Paul, Allen...Bryant, Gasol, Bynum with the deep bench...There's really a big gap.

Especially NO plays a faster pace game it wouldn't suit Posey but Boston more defense and plays more half court set which is better for him from that stand point

Reply #209523 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Good point LABoy- People sometimes overlook the style of play a team has when rating player movements. Its actually a critical element, especially for role players.

Reply #209541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754