john
Years ago

PLAYOFFS just 3 rounds away

just looking at the remaining rounds of the season. the 36ers play the hawks twice (this saturday and the following wednesday, with the wednesday game being an away game). after that, we have cairns and brisbane both at home followed by cairns in the last round of the season (away).

with that in mind, our last 3 games should be wins. the two games against the hawks, id suggest we'd take the home game (this saturday). that would leave us with a win/loss record of 20 wins and 12 losses.

i also saw that in the last 3 rounds of the season, the king and hakws meet twice. the hakws run home is...

29-Jan-05 36ers Hawks (loss)
4-Feb-05 Hawks 36ers (win)
9-Feb-05 Kings Hawks (loss?)
11-Feb-05 Razorbacks Hawks (win)
18-Feb-05 Hawks Kings (win)

i think they'd split the two games with the kings, taking the home game.

a tough run home with 2 games against the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams.

sydney's run home...

9-Feb-05 Kings Hawks (win)
11-Feb-05 Pirates Kings (win)
12-Feb-05 Kings Tigers (win?)
18-Feb-05 Hawks Kings (loss)
19-Feb-05 Razorbacks Kings (win)

the kings, similar to the hakws, most likely to win 3 or 4 of their remaining 5 games.

all very interesting. a chance perhaps for the 36ers to get 2nd spot if either sydney or wollongong can win both the matches played between the two teams.

thoughts people? what spot do we want to finish in? what teams do we want to avoid in the play offs?

Topic #1785 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

None of those games are guaranteed wins for the Kings or Hawks. Even the Razorbacks (probably the easiest opponent for each) could surprise them.

5th to 8th play a knockout game, so we want to be top 4.

Unfortunately, 3rd and 4th place then play the winner of the previous two games in a knockout game. Harsh. We could finish 3rd and get dumped in one game by a visiting team (Tigers and Crocs would both be dangerous).

We have to finish 1st or 2nd to be guaranteed a three game series but we have a chance given two games against the miserable Taipans, one against Brisbane at home, etc.

I hope we can move into one of the top two spots because losing in a knockout game would be horrible.

Reply #20265 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

none of them hey? not even when the kings play the pirates? isaac give us a break will ya, im going by where the teams are on the ladder as this point in time, and as i said previously, they (hakws and kings) would MOST LIKELY win those amount of games.

the razorbacks wont be much trouble for them either by the way

Reply #20267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

john, well, no, none of those wins are guaranteed if you want to use the literal sense of the word. If you think they are, care to make a bet at extremely tough odds?

I didn't disagree with anything you've said, so I'm surprised you've become defensive.

Nov 6 2004: Pirates 90, Hawks 81 (they held the Hawks to 9 points in one quarter)

Dec 16 2004: Kings 97, Pirates 96 (Kings came from behind in the fourth to win by 1 at home)

So you're saying that the Kings are guaranteed to win in Newcastle, after it took a fourth quarter comeback for them to beat the Pirates in Sydney?

Sure, Sydney would be favourites to win with Bruton back, but I wouldn't be betting against any home team this year.

Look at the results recently:

- in-form Tigers barely hold off the struggling Breakers in Melbourne; win by 1.

- Kings take their full roster to Perth (Wildcats not playing very well recently, and certainly not well at home). Wildcats beat them by 15.

- Tigers visit Wollongong and beat the league-leading Hawks by 19.

- Sixers visited Sydney and, without Rychart, were close to (and should've beaten) the Kings.

That's from last round alone.

I agree with your tips, but all I was saying is that none of those wins are guaranteed and a string of losses for either team could leave us with a good opportunity to replace either team in the top two.

And, yes, the Razorbacks are duds, but the last time they hosted the Kings, they kicked their butts 93-76. The last time they hosted the Hawks, they beat them 96-82.

Reply #20269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me if the NBL have released dates for the play-offs? If so, where can I find them?

I want to make sure I am here for them!

Reply #20280 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

Last year the first round of the playoffs were on the Wednesday (Taipans v Wildcats) and friday (Tigers v 36ers) following the last round. The second round was played on the Saturday night (winner of Taipans v Wildcats v Razorbacks) and then Sunday night (Bullets v Tigers) after that I cant remember. It all depends on court availability.

Reply #20286 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Dates cant be confirmed until the actual teams are known, and venue availability confirmed.

The quarter finals are scheduled for 23-26 February (so winner of first lot of knock offs will have to travel and back up within 2 days)

Semi Finals are 1-6 March

Grand Final series 11-26 March

Reply #20296 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

How much would tickets be?

Reply #20552 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Yogee, you wrote that venue availability has to be confirmed. If Adelaide has any problems, I'm sure Journo12 can pull a few strings to make the Icehouse available ..... and I might know more about the place than just where the Blue Lake is by then.

If you need the Icehouse, all you have to do is ask! Heck - the Power are coming to town next week!

Reply #20581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:00 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754