Confused
Years ago

Who rosters Div 1 Referee's?

Went and watched my daughter play last night against South and noticed that the Referee was reffering his own step daughter and also later on I found out the he is the president of South. (That would explain some of the calls for and against them.)

Are the people who rosters the ref's aware of this or is it just pushed under the rug?

While im on here why do the men get 3 ref's and the women only get 2 ref's. (and none of that crap that men are harder to ref please) is that discrimination or what.......

Topic #17854 | Report this topic

Not a parent  
Years ago

I was at that south game and I believe that the referee in question was filling in as another referee cancelled on the night.
Despite the fact that he was refereeing his step daughter and only 2 nights before lost the election for club president I believe that Mike did a fair job refereeing and the South Women were fair to him in return.

Reply #209450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the men's are having three refs as practice for when the ABA season starts again, also for building younger refs to be able to learn how to control the game properly.... at least that what i reckon

Reply #209462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost the election for club president. Wow! So your club actually has an election and multiple people try to take the role??? THats a first then isnt it?

Reply #209472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really, In the last 50 years it has happened on at least 3 occasions that Im aware of.
Back to refereeing,do people really think by doing 3 men that it is going to improve the standard of referees.
You only have to look at the 36ers game last Saturday and it was the rookie in that group who called the piss poor calls that where called and the senior ones allowed it to happen rather then overrule.
What did he learn.......that he can ref poorly at that level as he can at ABL

Reply #209480 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I thought McDonald's first call was absolutely wrong, but at the same time Haines possibly did the right thing in not overruling him. If he had done that, on McDonald's FIRST call in the NBL, how would that do anything but neuter him? Let it go, then at the first dead ball mention quietly that he blew that one (which I'm pretty sure he did), and move on.

Reply #209492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutley,

Completey disagree! How is it possibly better to get the call WRONG? The ONLY important thing is getting the call right - if one of the refs feelings are hurt by that - too bad.

Reply #209494 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Dude, of course it is important that the call is right, but if Haines overruled him then, the players would have been looking for him to do so EACH and EVERY time McDonald blew his whistle thereafter.

Mind you, after seeing him for another couple of games that might be a good idea. He didn't hesitate to get between Winitana and Victor though, which was good to see.

Reply #209514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what? If his call is right, the players can deal with it.

Getting the call right is the ONLY important thing - whether players look for overrules is not. Call should of been overruled.

Matter of fact, I didn't think he was that bad apart from that call (which was a howler). But if he can't take his calls being overruled when they are wrong (and everyone gets them wrong occassionally), he shouldn't be there. Whether it be his first call or his 1000th.

Reply #209519 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Haines signalled the charge, then turned around to watch McDonald call the block. The difference of opinion was already obvious, so an overrule was in order.

Referees shouldn't step between players having a blue, they should stand back & call the fouls. It's up to the players to decide whether to keep going & head for an early shower or to get on with the game.

A referee that steps in could cop a stray elbow or fist & that just makes things complicated.

Reply #209530 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

Good deflection by the south people this post wasn't about the nbl but the div 1 game the other night. In my opinion Mike has always been fair in his calling of a game no matter who's playing or which team he is refereeing. I shouldn't think he'll change now!

Reply #209538 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

benn who ??
not interested game for players
move on

Reply #209576 | Report this post

Runs a mile  
Years ago

When the going get's tuff **** ........

Reply #209578 | Report this post

tank  
Years ago

l think he should not referee south games.
because he's is to close he,s a good umpire but he should do other games.

Reply #209587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South teams would love it if he didnt referee them.
Most players from south thinks he over refs them when he is refing to compensate.

Reply #209592 | Report this post

Team player  
Years ago

Whats Mike's last name

Reply #209600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:26 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754