Isaac
Years ago

Ronaldson poised to overtake Gaze's games record

Tonight against the Perth Wildcats, Tony Ronaldson is set to draw level with Andrew Gaze's NBL record of games played: 612.

Barring injury, he will take top spot in the record books on Saturday when the Breakers visit Townsville.

A bit from the NBL about Ronaldson:

Ronaldson, a 203cm forward, made his debut back in 1990 when he suited up for Eastside Melbourne. He then played eight seasons with the South East Melbourne Magic and another four with the Victoria Titans before moving to Perth prior to the 2002/03 season. He is currently in his second season with the Breakers, his vast experience already having helped the New Zealand team make the playoffs for the first time in their history during the 2008 NBL Finals series.

Born in Adelaide, Ronaldson is renowned as one of the game's great ironmen, having missed only 15 matches due to injury in his 20 NBL seasons, including a run of 324 consecutive games.

Ronaldson has deservedly earned a reputation as a true winner, having appeared in seven NBL Grand Finals and being part of two Championship-winning Magic teams in 1992 and 1996. No player has won more NBL matches than Ronaldson's 401 career victories, and he also has appeared in an NBL record 81 playoff games.
Boti includes a bit more about Ronaldson in this article.

Topic #17863 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

2 rings from 7 Finals...not exactly a winner ; )

Bet he will love the born in Adelaide comment...

Reply #209563 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

... How about THE SHOT - Australia vs Croatia at the Atl. Olympics - might have been the greatest moment in Boomers history... Say what you will about the guy - but he was a player (if "Sir Mix A Lot" was gay he`d have written "Baby Got Back" for Big Tony...)...

Congrats Tony...

Reply #209568 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That three by Bear was massive! I brought out the tape and watched it just before the last Olympics. I still get the shivers up my spine!

Reply #209571 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Good call johhnysack, especially as we were not a chance before that game..

Reply #209572 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I do respect Bear but a part of me will be sad to see Drew Gaze overtaken as all time games played

Reply #209579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guess the thing with our league is that players like bear can keep playing and not getting out of the system as we dont get enuff payers to kick him out...

good on bear for the job he has done...past his prime once he moved out of melb IMO!

Reply #209582 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Was looking for Bear's shot on youtube but to no avail - anyone have a link to it? Would love to relive it.

But while searching for it I came across this rather funny Bear interview:

Reply #209661 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

DB5, having one ring makes him a winner....

Reply #209778 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sturty, I know it does, there was a wink there. It was more a dig at the ones lost to us..

Only missing 15 games in 20 seasons is a great record..

Reply #210040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754