Kent Brockman
Years ago

Controversial Finish to Wildcats @ Breakers

Scores are tied Penney gets fouled on a 3 attempt by Ben Knight and then someone from Perth gets T'd up.

Penney hits all 3 foul shots and CJ hits 1/2 for the tech plus Breakers get the ball back with around 2 seconds to play to take the win by 4.

Anyone know who got the tech?

Topic #17870 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

My guess would be Connor Henry

Reply #209633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Penney was going for the last-second prayer from half-court. Knight appeared to clip and trip him, sending him to the stripe. Replays seemed to show it might've been accidental, or Penney tripping himself, though most reporting from the game say there's no way the refs could've told from watching it live and full speed.

Henry indeed went nuts and gave up the tech and resulting last possession to the Breakers.

Needs to control his temper! Was lucky not to get a tech in Adelaide.

Breakers had come back from 18 down too.

Reply #209634 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

make up your own mind here.

http://linky.com.au/56hf6

To me the way Penney trips himslef makes it look like Ben Knight did get him. I dont think he did because there seemsto be distance between the two of them at the time and also Ben Knight knows better than to trip / foul someone on a half court prayer shot that you know will cost you the game.

Reply #209638 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

I think the only controversial thing is the way a Rookie Coach handles him self.

The original fould called on Knight in the context of the game was not an unexplainable call, and probably needed calling.
Knight appeared had a hand on Pennies back and was trying to impede him/get in his way.

What happened after certainly didn't need to happen if the Coach stopped being a hot head.

Reply #209641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think any contact might've been a half-step before he trips, throwing him off balance? I think you'd need to see the angle from the other side of the court to get a better picture?

I guess it would've otherwise gone to overtime. Breakers had the momentum, and Crawford and Knight had five fouls each. But then, NZ went down 12-3 in overtime in Cairns.

Reply #209647 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

i wouldn't be surprised if that changes the wildcats season...and not in a bad way.

Reply #209648 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah that looks like a terrible call. Only a home team would get a call like that. Like the other week where Derrick Low got fouled with a few seconds left for the Spirit when it was clearly a shooting foul instead it was given a non shooting foul.

Also looks like Perth got robbed twice in that game as that 3 by CJ to give them the lead was a moving screen by Ricket. A NFL blocker would have been impressed with Ricket's effort :P

However, if Perth were up by 18 then they have no one to blame but them selves! So far this year Its actually good to see no matter how much a team is up the other team can come back as has happened lots of times this season. This shows the talent of the league.

Reply #209664 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

Perth outplayed the breakers bigtime. however they choked yet another big lead.good sign is there blowing teams out, but there just letting them back in. and in the end the refs saved the breakers bacon. the better lost. but there is allways next week.

Reply #209668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't "save their bacon", just prevented it from going to overtime.

Reply #209680 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Well I've replayed the incident multiple times, & at the 1:47 mark of the clip, see Penney with his feet caught up & clear space showing on the 'Cats offender/defender (?).
I wonder, why Penney would put up a prayer 2+ meters on the wrong side of the centre line, with 4 seconds on the game clock?

BS call.

Reply #209684 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Hahahaha!

The reporter on that video about the Perth Wildcats: "This is no team of pussies"

Reply #209706 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Waxing lyrical. ; )

Reply #209711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754