Kent Brockman
Years ago

Hack a Shaq Comedy gold

if you didn't see the game on ESPN last night this is how Pop chose to start the game against the Suns.

Good to see that in the pressure world of the NBA there is still some time for fun.

Topic #17871 | Report this topic

ankles  
Years ago

You're right Kent, the start of the game was gold - I think initially Shaq was just bewildered!

However, (I'm only up to halftime in watching the replay) but the debacle before halftime when they were genuine about the hack-a-Shaq (and admittedly closed the gap - so it was effective) was awful. Can somebody explain to me how it serves the game's interests to see this sort of thing.

My vote - its an unsportsmanlike foul (the ball is no tin the vicinity and its deliberate contact not incidental to the game), call it as such and give them 2 and possession and remove the incentive to employ the strategy.

Signing out as Grumpy Old Man!

Reply #209631 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

I agree with the unsportsmanlike foul strategy, I can't believe it hasn't been implemented already. How can you hug someone, without making a play on the ball, and not have it called unsportsmanlike/intentional?

Reply #209644 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

depends ho much you see of it this season, i think if seen a bit more there will be a rule change.
it wasn't really funny, more annoying as he couldn't even get past half way....

Reply #209649 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ExWhy - it's funny because Shaq called out Popovich in the pre-season for the tactic. Said he would "make the Spurs pay" if they did it this season. So Pop did it first play of the year.

By the way, Pop trimmed the beard. Was looking very Anthony Hopking in Instinct for a while there

Reply #209654 | Report this post

ExWhy  
Years ago

the one where Mason hits shaq and goes down wasn't very funny....
i get the story, i just think it was a poor spectacle of the game. joke or not

Reply #209656 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Nice Christopher Lee impersonation by Greg Popovich with that beard.

Reply #209659 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

First one was fine; 2nd one was a definate unsportsmanlike foul; 3rd one should have been a technical; beyond that the coach needs to be called on it.

Nothing stops a stupid play in its tracks then a double-technical on the coach.

Reply #209694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wasnt able to catch the game, but did this happen more the once in the game or was it just the first play?

Reply #209713 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

He did make them pay, as PHX left with the Win.

Reply #209744 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

suns won by 5. Shaq hit 5 from 8 foul shots.

Definately made them pay

Reply #209751 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Happened in the first play of the game as per video above as a joke.

Then towards the end of the second half they did it three or four times within 5 seconds of the Suns offense. Did ruin what was a pretty good first up game. At least Shaq went on and sunk the FT's and the Suns got the win.

Reply #209780 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754