Anonymous
Years ago

Where are all the Umpires

An already shortened season was made even shorter due to some games tonight at Pasadena not being able to be played due to lack of umpires.

When was this known - couldn't alternatives be arranged?

Topic #17881 | Report this topic

poolie  
Years ago

Similar problem at Wayville with at least 4 games having only one ref. However, games shouldn't have been called off. Each club should have provided someone to referee as it states in the by-laws. But I guess non of those parents who referee from the sidelines have the guts to get a whistle and help out to see their kids play basketball.

Reply #209770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just read this in the junior bylaws...

3.22. Failure to Supply a Referee (C22)

Where Referees are not available to officiate in a game, the two teams involved must supply someone to referee the game. However if the teams are unable to supply someone to referee the game, the game will be declared a double forfeit but the fines provided under By-law 3.23 (a) will not be imposed.

Wonder why this bylaw wasnt enforced. surely all you whinging parents who are all expert referees would have done something if you knew the game would be a forfeit.

Reply #209773 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

One of the viewers in our house wants to inform you that the young umpire set are sick of the abuse(some D/H spectator was warned yesterday for instance) and the other limiter is the Year12 exams are close or started.

If are you are still reading ,do you know some of the new rules?The crap thrown at Umpys wil elevate this season because of the ignoramuses dont do their "Homework".

Reply #209866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game at pasadena was canceled due to two refs pulling out on the last minute, one due to an injury while playing in a previous game and the other im not sure about, these things happen, although it would be good if there was a back up plan incase something like this happens...

Reply #209873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the visiting teams given the opportunity to supply refs. If not why should it be a double forfeit?

Reply #209946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the visiting teams given the opportunity to supply refs. If not why should it be a double forfeit?

Reply #209947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

probably in jail for pretending to be competent.

Reply #209965 | Report this post

I can tell you my sons experience; He is 15 years old. He had umpired for approx 2 years. In his time he had umpired regular junior district games, a few country carnivals, social games and a number of U18 & U20 games. He enjoyed the challenge and the extra spending money it gave him. He also met and became freinds with many new people he never normally would have met. He was graded well by his UIC and that was why he was able to be trusted to handle games that were way above his age level.

He has now turned his back on umpiring because of the recent changes that have been made to the system.

At the start of last season, or maybe the season before, he was asked to nomintae 2 or 3 stadiums that he could umpire at. He was then told that if he was available he would have to email the Umpires office a week before to say he was available. He did not have a say in what one of the 3 stadiums he was going to be sent too, or what times he would be rostered onto.

My son plays Div 1 for a district club so he was happy to umpire before or after his own matches at his home stadium. On some occasions he was asked to umpire before or after his game at another stadium that is close by when his team was playing there. This he happily did; he only ever refused an umpiring gig when he was injured or had another commitment.

This worked great. My son was able to play and umpire almost every friday night and put his hand up for most Saturday mornings at his home stadium.

With the new system he has thrown in the towel because it is to hard to organise and plan transport arrangements while playing at one stadium and umpiring at another. He gave the new system a try for the 1st 4 weeks. He went from umpiring every week, to umpiring once in four weeks.

We now keep getting a bill for a $25 umpire registration fee. We had never had this bill before the "new" changes were made.

I understand what they have tried to do; however what they have done is turn off a large amount of current players from umpiring. These kids needed to umpire when it was handy and convinient for them, not the other way around.

The last year my son umpired a full season he was even considering if he could make a living out of umpiring at an elite level. He now has lost interest completly.

Abuse did not worry him; the small pay did not worry him; it was not being able to choose when and where he played that has lost him to umpiring.

Reply #211810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't see a problem with umpiring at the club you play for?

Reply #211837 | Report this post

I have been involved with district Bball now for over 15 years.

In that time I cannot think of a major incident that has stemmed from a junior ump being biased. Sure, we all winge and moan about home court umps not calling a foul or travel; however it is not game changing. When you have a child umpiring you all of a sudden become very aware of how "petty" some small minded spectators can be.

I know that the junior umps work very at calling from an unbiased position despite what club they play for, but hey...the question was asked and I can answer it from my point of view.

The current system is inflexable and has lost a junior that was interested in taking it further.

Reply #212741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the current system is the problem. I think your understanding of the system or the incorrect information you've been given is the problem.

I'd suggest giving the Basketball SA office a call to raise your points with those in the office rather than on a forum.

Reply #212751 | Report this post

The question was asked, & I have answered it from "my point of view". I don't need to ring them; I don't need to keep it in house; they made changes to a system that worked for my son resulting in a system that was really bad for my son.

I think that if they are going to make changes to a system that accommodates 12-15 yo kids you had better try make the system as easy as it can be.

The horse has bolted now; my son is fully into fitness and his district team, while working for a company during the weekend that makes allowances for his sporting commitments.

back to the original question; Where are all the Umpires?

Seeing as you have already contributed to the topic, do you have any answers?

Reply #213000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they try and keep kids away from reffing games at the same stadiums they normally play in, IMO it's a great idea. Bias is one of the major points of contention in officiating and any small step towards removing it should be welcomed.
As for losing a junior who was interested in taking his umpiring further, it seems his passion diminished at the first hurdle and rather than criticise the decision that saw him quit it may have been better explaining to him why such a decision may have been made.
You see good and bad umps every week and you see good and bad players. However, players make mistakes unintentionally which impacts on their team whereas the criticism of umps is that they make 'errors' that almost always favours a particular team.
It would be hard to play for a club and then turn out to ref a game in which your club was represented. It happens but it would be better if it did not.
The answer to your question, 'where are all the umpires?" is simple, they are out there officiating and taking the knocks on the chin, not curling up and dying because they didn't get a call right or didn't get their way which it appears is the reason your son is not continuing.

Reply #213054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From my point of view,

My arguement was simply that based on your post that no one made your son clear as to what the new system was. I blame those in the office and his UIC for that and they are the ones who need to understand that they have lost a referee because of a lack of communication.

The system of centrally rostering all Friday night referees will work and isn't to blame for your son quitting. The people involved are and the BSA office need to be made aware of that, and you as a parent need to be given the facts. Your post above shows me that you appear to be given some incorrect information.

Reply #213068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree with 213054.

Reply #213113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im a fifteen year old reff never have been biast and never will be and i also play

Reply #214536 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754