Kent Brockman
Years ago

Woollongong are 4th on the ladder

Is this the suprise packet of the season?

Sixers 2 wins thus far are now against bottom 4 teams as the Crocs are now outside the 8.

Topic #17889 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

I am taking a huge risk here that will probably result in a lot of backlash from anti Rycharters but its a question that needs to be asked. How much influence does Rychart have on the success of the team he joins? He joined Brisbane Bullets and they won a championship that year. He joined North Adelaide Rockets and they won a championship that year. He joined Wollongong Hawks and the team is doing far better than previously predicted. Now before anyone asks about the success of the 36ers when he joined, let me just say that the 36ers have done a lot worse since he left by not even making playoffs (not overlooking other factors that determined this).

Please everyone, be sensible about it and give honest sensible feedback about this.

Reply #209850 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I think all this shows is that the 6ers still have a huge chance of making some noise this season, because long term, the Hawks arent THAT good IMO

Dusty has been very good at being consistant in teams that seemingly cant fail. Bullets couldve replaced him with Jerry Dennard and they were NOT going to lose it that year. That rockets team as very deep too, and without any disrespect to the league, he was a teer above the comp ala Julius in the NBL. Still think Adelaide got the very best out of him, that game against the Kings where he was on track for 50 befor ebeing fouled out early in the 4th still has me amazed!

Reply #209853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wgong have also played 11 games and adelaide 6.

There is still a bit of balancing to come yet..

Reply #209862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dusty brings consistency on the scoreboard and glass - perhaps provides a good foundation for the rest of his team?

Reply #209869 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

#209862, that's a fair point and I covered it under a previous thread title "Tonights NBL games tips".

"Wollongong have gone from 7th on the ladder to 4th after tonight's game. If Adelaide win the next 4 consecutive games they will be in the same win/loss ratio. I guess the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Posted by EC last week"

Reply #209892 | Report this post

Kudos to Cook  
Years ago

I don't think its due to any one player, its due to the coach Eric Cooks. Last year they played with one import, lost their PG/Tait and still won a respectable 9 games.

Due to the financial woes of the Hawks, Cooks has picked the team 100% himself from not only who is available but who he can afford. He has then negotiated the contracts with their agents.
Eric Cooks has had get sponsorships and do it all by paying substantially less than the team salary cap. What other coach is the GM, sales rep and coach?

There are a few teams (hint - the teams above us and a couple below) who are paying TWICE what the Hawks are paying their players.
From all reports the Hawks players love playing under him and totally respect him as a coach and as a person.

Reply #209963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dusty poos on teams when he leaves them though.
That kind of undoes whatever respect was initially there.

Reply #209986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agreed that the Hawks and Cook are doing very well considering (especially liked seeing them beat the Taipans twice - a team of highly paid stars with poor chemistry it seems).

Anon, what Dusty might say or do after leaving a team is irrelevant when you're discussing his contribution to a team at the time.

Reply #210007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754