skip
Years ago

Tonight - 36ers v Spirit

Can we get the W tonight, I think we can. Otherwise Im jumping on the EC bandwagon and will support everything she says!

Sixers by 14
Crowd 4651

Topic #17892 | Report this topic

CAMPBELL  
Years ago

sixers by 8 tonight
high scoring, over 200.5 i reckn

if we dont win tonight i would have to say our season is just about over... we just gotta win!!!!!

anyone know if brett is back yet?

Reply #209863 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

You'd think with Spirit playing a tough game, last night, and travelling, puts it in our favour.
Bruce injury on Friday... wouldn't think he'd be 100% fit.

Reply #209865 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Injury report says that Rush was playing injured I think? Given they will have just played and then travelled we must put them away. Unfortunately, I think these blue-collar teams have been our foil these last few seasons and they are still a threat.

Reply #209870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit easily by 15-21, crowd 3400-3900.

Reply #209872 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

If the SPirit can manage the travel aspect, you guys are in trouble.

They hustle hard man, and you guys have been lacking intensity big time.

We escaped only through a great individual display by Nathan Herbert (yes, Nathan Herbert) in the last quarter.

Reply #209874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wat time is it??

Reply #209875 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

6pm tip off.

I beleive the half time entertainment tonight is some good old fashion stick fighting!

Reply #209876 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I've seen what Spirit can do, twice. They are a big threat.

Reply #209877 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Agree DICKO.
If Herbert hadn't taken that last 3 point attempt last night, would've been 5 from 9. I doubt whether Goorj would've put money on that saving his ar$e.
We need to be on our game tonight, or we're done. Big ask with Brett & Winnie out.

Reply #209878 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sydney Spirit are a really good team that play an exciting style of basketball. They are a danger team that can beat any team when they have a good game.

Keys to beating them are:

* BOX OUT!!!! This team leads the league in offensive rebounding and they crash the Offensive glass hard! Luckily Adelaide is a good Rebounding team so we can hopefully limit their chance points.

* Following on from the first point... Box out Julian Khazzouh. The guy is turning into Simon Dwight and is absolutely dominating offensive rebounds (and defensive rebounds for that matter) with almost 5 a game. 3rd in offensive rebounds in the league is David Gruber whilst Matthew Knight is 7th not to mention Liam Rush who will crash the boards as well. It is hard to box out in a zone so man to man defence must be used most of the game obviously.

* We must upset Spirits offensive rhythm. They only have one point guard!! The rest struggle to bring the ball up against extended pressure. Therefore we need Bruce and Davidson hassling Damian Martin every minute he is out there. Even denying him the ball and make someone else run their offense will work in our favour. Furthermore, when Martin is on the bench we need to have a full court press against this team like Townsville employed against them and got several turn overs from it.

* Offensively we need to attack Derrick Low who is a really weak defender. Run plays to get our players posted up low against him. They will need to double team us leaving players open. If we keep attacking him he will get tired and this will impact his offence. Perhaps get a bit physical with him also might intimidate him on the offensive end.

* Do not let Khazzouh shoot base line jumpers he will hit them all night.

* Liam Rush will rather shoot 3's then drive. So get out to his 3's and make him put the ball on the floor. When he does attempt to drive if he doesn't beat his man first of all he usually gives up on trying to score and looks for the pass.

*Damian Martin is a passing point guard so we should force him to shoot more jump shots as its a very weak point in his game (Last season 38% FG, 24% 3pt, 67% FT... This season 34% FG, 19% 3pt, 62% FT). Also it seems he cant draw shooting fouls much so when he drives have more emphasis that he is going to pass the ball.

* We need to limit their bench scoring. Williamson should obviously be not left alone on the 3pt line, he is a one dimensional player without hitting 3's he offers pretty much nothing. Dann is a confidence player and easily goes of his game. Also due to his size he usually has to guard forwards so post him up and attack him when he is in the game. Gruber will look to post up and score and not really look to pass. Reed is in the coaches favour at the moment and is hitting 3's so he can't be left open also. Rampton is very turn over prone (and foul prone) so make sure lots of pressure is on him whenever he has the ball.

Yeah that should about do it :P

Reply #209884 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Also I forgot to mention when they win they usually have dominate second halves compared to their first half. Strangely, when they lose they have dominate first halves and poor second halves. So if we are down at half time that could be a good thing :P

Reply #209886 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Nice scouting report KingJames.

I look forward to 20 and 10 from Tyndale while shutting down Low and Rush.

Schenscher vs. Khazzouh should be great to watch.

As KingJames said, Low is a terrible defender, and with Maher out I think we should play Bruce at SG for 20-25mins tonight (with Davidson at PG) to exploit that.

Reply #209887 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

skip, I'm honoured but there is no malice towards the 36ers poor record so far this season. I'm a passionate supporter and desperately want to see them do well. As I am writing this thread I am thinking about how quickly I should do it because I am virtually racing out the door to the game tonight. Good luck to the team and hope tonight's win is the turnaround for this season.

Reply #209894 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Some nice points KingJames. I think the 36ers will win this one, back to back road games for the Spirit should help us. Time for Tyndale to step up.

Sixers by 8

Reply #209895 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

on the radio anywhere???

Reply #209896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixer win by 29. Tyndales stinks it up again.

Reply #209903 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Thought Schensh very good at both ends was best.
Davo got us started. Ballinger great, as usual.
Tyndale tried just hasn't got it.

Reply #209905 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

sixers by 32, luke with a nice throw down in the last on his 19pt 20reb game

Reply #209906 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Crowd 3890 ..Perhaps Sydney a bit flat second half.
But sixers looked pretty good. Bruce OK..
Like to see Burdon get more time.. much better shooter than Tyndale

Reply #209907 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Schensch has very quickly become our most important player! He gets it and good things happen! Great win, against a gutsy side that given the chance couldve over run us in the 2nd half. 76 points? Now i see what coach Ninnis is on about!

Reply #209909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Mark....You are a fine young man but we need a scorer. Another import to dominate and take games over when need be. Harsh to say after a 30 point win but he still gave nothing.

Unfortunately with Maher not doing anything we cant keep going with a "glue guy".

Get Julius here now !

Reply #209910 | Report this post

Fritz  
Years ago

Ordinary game tonight, prob should have won by more
Tyndal has to go he is useless 4pts and 4 fouls to 3 quarter time and ends up with 8 with 4 more in garbage time.

Schench was brilliant, as were all our gurds except Tyndal, even Burdon was better than him when on for a 5th less time.

Q; Getting rid of Tyndal wont change a thing on this team, I think I would rather see a cheaper taller player instead.

Reply #209911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another excellent game from Schenscher (19 and 17). Davidson got the team fired up early from outside and had a nice line of 14/6/5. Ballinger was back to his best as well, finishing with 24 and 8 - at one point, it seemed as though he couldn't miss.

Holmes didn't get his usual boards, but 14 points and six assists was useful. Bruce with 15 and six assists was decent as well.

The Spirit were backing up from a Saturday game and had to travel, but the 36ers did look good regardless and didn't drop a quarter.

Five steals from Tyndale and he picked up a few boards, but as has been said, four points after three quarters isn't going to impress many.

Rush topped the Spirit with 16 points but only played 24 minutes, probably due to his knee injury. Williamson and Reed were decent for them, but both their imports were poor, Knight struggled to score and their starting point had no assists at all.

Sydney were 33% from the field and 50% from the stripe - not going to win with those numbers.

Reply #209914 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Spose only 3890 and quiet 'round me with an easy win.
Not quite sure what you'd do about Tyndale... looks awkward.. outta place.

Reply #209915 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Spirit only scored 25 points in the whole second half! Also we really shut down Khazzouh as he only had 5 Rebounds for the whole game! This made him a non factor.

Good game by the Sixers and good to get a win. Has the Giant finally been woken up?

Reply #209916 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

thought bruce was much more composed, still a few loose ones but that will always come from him i think. actually liked bruce/davidson at the 1&2 they were good at getting the extra pass and opening up the three, especially in the first quarter. Luke was great again and balls being back just makes the team so much better and relaxed knowing that another scoring option is on the floor. Shame about tyndale he was visibly relieved that they got the win and he must really be feeling it, but in the same breath we need the extra points wether thats him or someone else they need to come.

Reply #209918 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

In fairness to Tyndale, he looked like he was really giving it his best shot. The determination was there but just wasn't resulting into anything useful. I was surprised by 5 steals as mentioned by Isaac, it looked a lot more. That side of his game was impressive but once again did not convert to anything useful. He very reluctantly shoots the ball due to lack of confidence. I can't help feeling that he has been surprised by the quality of the NBL and now lacks confidence because he is not up to that standard. It was very risky on the part of the club to recruit a college player without much history behind him.

Reply #209919 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

So does Tyndale get more time to prove himself after tonights performance?

Reply #209922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doubt they'll want to pay to replace him. i reckon we've got him for some time to come people so get used to it.

Reply #209923 | Report this post

weezy  
Years ago

tyndale only took the 9 shots. He is a good fit for 6ers as me dont need him to be a big time scorer. we got schens, balls mahar bruce to help score so he donesnt need to take over on offence. on D man to man is great. Im all for tyndale

Reply #209924 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

I think this was Tyndale's last game. Mal even went to sit on the bench in the second half, and I would think that it would have something to do with Tyndale. I dont know why some peple think his defence is good, I think that it is pretty poor.

Reply #209925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mal sat on the bench from half time last game too.

Reply #209926 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Came to the page happy but now I'm pissed off. We get a much needed 32pt win and all the majority of you can talk about is the ONE negative to come out of the game, who almost had a double-double anyway. Thankyou EC for at least being the only one to show some sense towards Tyndale's game.

Fritz, I am surprised that i bothered to read the rest of your post after the ridiculous opening line of:
"Ordinary game tonight, prob should have won by more"
But I'm sorry to say I did - didn't get any better.

Schenscer: Superstar! Could well end up leading the league in boards.

Ballinger: 24,8 with a bad back is fantastic. -was very efficient too.

Hoban: Hit a nice hook at the end there and gathered 3 boards n less than 3mins.

Holmes: Hit his open shots and chipped in with 6 dimes as well. good game.

Cooper: 3 blocks off the bench and one funny-lookin hoop from just inside the perimetre was handy.

Tyndale: Quiet but effective. 9pts, 8rbs, 4stls. Hustle and D was great. One big mistake was fouling Williamson on a 3.

Hill: Not bad, attacked the rim.

Bruce: Came off the bench!!! spent a lot of time either in the rooms or on the bike but still managed 15pts and 7asts, mostly from the SG position. 3pt shooting was great (4/8). Looks good when he's aggressive.

Burdon: Wow! That was a big cheer for a development player! Hit an NBA-length three and looked composed with the ball.

Davidson: Brilliant in the first half, really sparked us with 3 early threes.

Kersten: Not playing?

Winitana: What's the difference between sitting on the bench with the team, in uniform, and actually getting out there and playing? If he's not at church then YTF cant he play? sh!t it's stupid! What about if the Sixers somehow didn't pay him for this game, would it still be work or could he play?

Ninnis: Very good, showed some courage starting Davo and it worked. Defensive matchups were good and I'm sure 'bake' would've been happy with the movement on offense.

Stick fighting: LOL!

Refs: Did they just buy a rulebook and discover there was a 'traveling' rule??? I hope they at least informed the players that they would be this pedantic about it. Would've liked a bit more consistency towards the physicality in the paint too.

Overall a fantastic night. Hopefully they can continue with this form.

Reply #209928 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

he does try, and as stated above he just lacks that confidence in his shot, he gave several open look up tonight. If he can just nail his shot all his problems will go away, i think he just need something to release the pressure and his jumper dropping will do that.

Reply #209929 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Kersten has a foot injury apparently.

Reply #209930 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Why does an import always have to be about scoring???
I think Tyndale is ok within this group, defensively he could shut the majority of 1,2 or 3's down, and cause havoc in the passing lanes.

If he was supposed to hit 20+ppg, we would have scored 128+ tonight...? or would someone else not have got the points they got and therefore be the subject to the negative criticism Tyndale is getting instead???

Basketball is a team game, and at times you need ROLE PLAYERS!!! Players that are good at specific things so the coaching staff can go to them in specific situations. Not everyone can average 20ppg and 10rpg!

Reply #209931 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Gold ball for graeme!

Reply #209932 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That was the Sixers of old. Nice number of 3PA too. Got some good rebounds. Luke seems to have found his confidence and is playing really well. Luke, when you get the ball, just go for it!

The cheer when Tyndale drove in for a layup was HUGE! Keep doing it mate! He also hustled quite well too. Got some nice steals.

The Hobbo did well in the trash time - lets see some more of him.

Once again, the umpiring was ordinary - the Pasadena green shirts could have done a better job, but most of them were working at McDonalds tonight (but when they get to 18 I think they will be available)

Reply #209933 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

The guy just looks uncoordinated. He dropped a pass on a fast break and also can't dribble without losing control. An import should be a good scorer or atleast bring some excitement to the game. The only thing that excites me about him is seeing a new inventive way of losing the ball. If we wanted a role player he can do the role of handing out the drinks.

Reply #209934 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Agreed Justin! And whilst I agree that Tyndale doesn't have to go for over 20 points every match with the variety of scorers we have, it would be nice to be able to rely on some sort of regular offence from him! Particularly when the team is missing some of the regular scorers for whatever reason. He can't hit the side of a barn at the moment, and you would assume that that's due to lack of confidence because imports don't get recruited for no reason. His technique on the shot in relation to his hands looks awful - no wonder he's missing.

Reply #209935 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

AHAHA yeah good one justin! you're right though, forget about defence and rebounding! Let's just get an import who can dunk like a maniac, score 20ppg and do nothing else so we can keep justin happy. Is Gerald Green free? What about Derrick Low? I'm sure his 3/14 shooting would've excited you heaps!

If Tyndale's (a) massive dunk in the first and (b) five sneaky steals didnt excite you then you've got problems.

What excites me more is his Defence, rebounding and hustle.

Jack Toft = funniest bloke on Hoops SA lol, should have a closet full of little balls by now. Gd work Jack.

Reply #209936 | Report this post

Fritz  
Years ago

In all honesty Xstatic why do we need a guard who can't defend or score as an import when we have great guards already who the crowd love and make shot.,

I think we could find a guy why is 3-4inches taller who would be better suited to our team that needs extra help with defending and rebounding that can hit an open shot which Tyndal simply can't do.

If the games on the line and we need a score, I don't think I would have him out there at that point of any game to make a winning shot.

Maher
Davison
Holmes / Bruce
Balls
Schensch

Reply #209937 | Report this post

Fritz  
Years ago

Xstatic - Ordinary Game as in I was a bit fustrated the way we got out by 10 or 12 a few times and then just let them back in until we finally broke away of course.

Reply #209938 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Fritz! Are you listening to yourself??? seriously? You have absolutely no idea!

"In all honesty Xstatic why do we need a guard who can't defend or score as an import when we have great guards already who the crowd love and make shot.,"

(a) Because he CAN defend. In fact, if we're calling him a guard then I would call him our equal best outside defender along with Davidson. Do you even watch defence or just wait for it to come down the other end again? He's versatile too - can guard PG's, SG's and SF's effectively and he gets in the passing lanes and troubles the ball-handler.

(b) Because he CAN score. He's not going to lead our team but he doesnt need to. As long as he's averaging double figures (which he is - 15ppg) and doing all the little things, we're good.

(c) Granted, his outside shooting needs work. But soon we will have Maher back along with Davo, Bruce, Hill and Eazy who can all hit from outside. Not every player on the team needs to be able to hit 3's. It would be good, yes, but as long as he's doing the other things it's not essential. Do I need to remind you of Julius Hodge's poor outside shot?

(d) Because being a crowd favourite doesn't make you a good player, otherwise Kobe would be averaging about 3ppg in away games.

"I think we could find a guy why is 3-4inches taller who would be better suited to our team that needs extra help with defending and rebounding that can hit an open shot which Tyndal simply can't do."

Ohh god, you're embarrassing yourself now.

A team that needs extra help with defending and rebounding???

How the hell do we need extra help with rebounding??? We have FOUR players in top top15 league leaders in rebounding. And guess what... yep! one of them is Tyndale(8rpg)! I don't care how undersized he is, his strength and hops make him one of the best rebounders in the league. Good luck finding a SG/SF who is a better rebounder than him.

And as I said before, his defence is brilliant.

So please tell me; how is he not suited to this team?

A versatile SG/SF who can score when required (on a team with multiple prolific scorers) while rebounding and playmaking well and defending anyone from Corey Williams to Sean Redhage effectively.

Tell me a player who you think would be better suited, please.

"If the games on the line and we need a score, I don't think I would have him out there at that point of any game to make a winning shot."

No, you wouldn't. but you would have him out there to defend the ball handler with the pressure on, to get clutch rebounds and to win the ball with hustle plays. If you just want someone who can hit a buzzer-beater then lets get Farley back. fact is, we've got guys like Maher and Ballinger to do that, we don't need our second import to be 'the man' when the games on the line.

"Maher
Davison
Holmes / Bruce
Balls
Schensch"

Annnnd he complete's his ridiculous post by calling Aaron Bruce a Small Forward! well done.

Please try to give me an intellegent reply at least. I need to know there's a brain in there somewhere.

Reply #209939 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I agree X, Tyndale does not need to be the guy getting 20 points a game as we have plenty of guys that can do that.

If he can deliver us 10-15 a night at a good clip along with the hustle and boards that he has shown i dont have a problem with him at all.

He also drove the lane well which meant he either drew fouls or collapsed the d which then meant kicking it back out to swing to the open shooter.

Reply #209940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't need to score does he X ? Well where has he been while we've been on the road ? When we need somebody to take the game over while Ballinger and Maher are out ?

We dont need a glue guy....we need an import who can dominate and take over games. With all these abundance of scorers we have, surely we should be able to win on the road against Sydney and Wollongong ?

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe we dont have the scorers you think we do ? Apart from Ballinger we have nobody else. Maher is done...god bless him but his body has shut down.

Tyndale's D is over rated also.... Look, I dont mean to hate on him because we forget he is 22 and playing his first pro contract....but we cant afford to carry a kid any longer. I wish we could, but we cant.

Reply #209942 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wonder how "It's debateable" poll - news/adelaide now , on Tyndale is going. Sounds 50/50 on here.

Not sure that Paora could be accused of legalism.

Reply #209944 | Report this post

Olaf  
Years ago

Schensh was great. Can't buy a call but just keeps going after the ball. His second and third efforts are great. Tyndale tried but i still think we need another swingman shooter. Holmes can move to the 4 if need be as he certainly plays big enough. Personally i like this team with another shooter. A lot of guys who try their arses off who you you'd hate to play against like Davidson and Holmes.

Reply #209945 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Offence: Yes we do have a play book. Ball movement was well above par previously played this season. Honest passes, less of the fancy great if it comes off stuff.
Defence: Better, led by Davidson and TYNDALE. His hustle not only created steals, for which he has been credited, but cause the ball to be jarred loose on numerous occasions.

Officiating: Well below par. Phantom calls and unexplainable no calls were rife during the times the Spirit rallied in the first half.

Memo to the three blind mice: A player is bound to travel if his shirt is pushed up to his armpits from behind when he has the ball.

Question: Is Luke's singlet too small?

Reply #209948 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

I hate to say this, but a lot of Tyndale's stats in relation to boards and steals tend to come in junk time when the result is out of the question. In fact, about 5 of his total 9 points came in the last quarter when the 6ers were out by 20 or more, when this lead was achieved when Tyndale was on the pine! Also, his ppg average was achieved from 2 early games when he scored really well - everything since then has been below his average. His first couple of games were good, if he could get his confidence back somehow he may be ok, but he is currently struggling big time. He tried really hard last night, but no cigar

Reply #209949 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

This was the first game I've been to this year. I was impressed by teh 6ers' second half effort and half of their first half. The game was played in sreaks. The 6ers' starting five jumped out in teh 1st quarter, executed really well and passed really well. Then, after the subs came, the Spirit went on a streak and teh 6ers' looked ordinary. Result, 32 each at quarter time. Same in the second quarter, the five who started the quarter got the 6ers away (to 47-35) and, after changes were rung, the Spirit came back. Result - 54-51 at half time.

In the third, Ninnis seemed to keep the same five for a bit longer and the 6ers really hit their game. Rush played less for Sydney and they may have tired. This time they weren't able to get it back and the 6ers played it out well from there.

Most players did well for the 6ers but Schenscher and Ballinger were the stand outs with Davidson and Bruce also very good. I was really impressed with Schenscher's reading of the rebounds. A number of times, he timed his jump better than the rest and won the rebound even from otherwise poor positions. The loose ball he was able to get down to (on the floor) and put back in the basket was pretty impressive too, for such a tall guy.

Tyndale's defensive steals were somewhat offset by his turnovers and near turnovers. After 2 or 3 of the steals, he then tried to do too much and lost the ball. We were lucky that it ended up landing in another 6er's hands at least once. He reminds me a bit of David Robinson - a 6er import from around 1990 I think. He's young and developing and shows signs of being good - in the future. The 6ers have to decide if they want a developmental player as one of their imports. In what is looking like an injury prone team with only 2 reliable, every game scorers (Ballinger and Schenscher), there's a significant downside risk in keeping him in that role.

That said, I think Tyndale needs confidence and played too tentatively last night. The turn over on the fast break was just that. He was caught watching to see if someone else would get the ball instead of breaking hard up the court and demanding it. If he'd gone hard, it would have landed in his lap instead of havign to chase it.

I feel he deserves another couple of games and has to find a way to play with confidence and assertion. If he works that out, there's a real upside for the rest of teh season.

Reply #209950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36ers fan Hound made a good observation on OzHoops about Tyndale, saying that he's good at collecting the ball (scraps on the floor, steals, etc) but not great when it comes to receiving a pass or controlling it on a break. Hard hands or just nerves?

Reply #209954 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

My opinion in the overall scheme of things, like everyother contributor to this forum, means nothing. Statistics and season averages are great and can be manipulated to suport any argument. Its team performances during individual games that count. While I would like to see our imports be the top scorers for the team game every week, but I would rather see the team win with an even spread of scorers. Mark Tyndale was a significant contrbutor to a team win. Yes he had only scored 4 points till three quarter time, but he was a key member of the team that had a 20 point lead by that time. He could have had more if he had a few calls go his way. The Coach had sufficient faith in him that he continued to give him playing time. Maybe Mark was complying with the coach's instructons.

Reply #209957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd like to see the +/- for the game because my gut feeling was that the team pushed forward when tyndale was on the bench.

Reply #209958 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Seriously people, because 'the glue guy' has been working for us so well, we are 3 and 5. Do you think Xztatik is actually Mal, the tightass who doesn't want to put his hand in his pocket again, therefor he is trying to convince us that Tyndale can actually play.

Reply #209972 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You are right Bake.

The Sixers won the game in the 3rd quarter outscoring them 30-13. Tyndale played the first 4 minutes with the Sixers Scoring 6 points and spirit 5 points during that time. He didn't play any of the remaining 8 minutes of the quarter and the Sixers went on a 24-8 run.

You all think he had a good game with stats of 9 points, 11 rebounds, 5 steals, 3 assist, 3 turnovers. The official box scores say he actually had 8 rebounds and 4 steals however I'm happy to go with the inflated stats as that is where I am getting my play by play info from. As a result in the first half when the game was in the balance and scores were close at 54-51 Tyndales stats are as follows.

4 points, 2 rebounds, 3 steals, 0 Assist, 1 turnover

His stats in the last quarter when the game was already won are

5 points, 7 rebounds, 2assist, 2steals, 2 turnovers

His stats were padded! Not to mention in the last quarter when he got his stats Spirit had most of there bench players and their starters only got limited minutes:

Khazzouh 4 mins, Rush 3 mins, Knight 4 mins, Low 6 minutes, Martin 8 mins.

To say Tyndale's defence is Brilliant is very laughable. How you could come up with that conclusion I have no idea.

"Do I need to remind you of Julius Hodge's poor outside shot?"

That is a stupid comparison! The difference is Hodge was unstoppable on the drive, and unstoppable in posting up hence. On the other hand, Tyndale is a terrible driver usually only requiring single coverage. Also he never post up so obviously thats not part of his game also. The difference is Hodge averaged 24ppg while Tyndale only gets 13 ppg. So to say Hodge's poor shot is relevant is incorrect as he barely took any 3's (in which case he hit 50% 4-8 of them) and could score inside at will. While Tydnale has no consistent offensive avenue that he can score from or look dangerous to the opposition.

In games where we have gotten killed and needed him to step up he has delivered nothing!

A friend said to me "Tyndale is like getting Brad Hill as your import" which is true however at least Hill has the height!

The coach should at least start looking at possible replacements. If there is not significant improvement by him against NZ and Cairns this week and the coach is serious about us being a force in the finals then Tydnale needs to be replaced. An import that is about 6"6-8 is required. Surely with NBA rosters being set as well as European rosters there would be an abundance of possible imports out there that could fill this role.
I still think this team can win the championship however Tyndale is a massive weak link. I would love to eat my words and see Tyndale have a massive improvement but I don't see it happening because he doesn't have the confidence and he doesn't have the skills.

Reply #209975 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I don't think it was so much that they pushed forward when Tyndale was on teh bench. He started the game and the third quarter and they were both periods where the 6ers executed well and pushed ahead.

They lost ground with some groups on teh floor that just didn;t seem to gel. I think Tyndale sometimes was in those groups and sometimes wasn;t. When he was, he certainly wasn;t the stand out reason the offence stopped working.

Some comments above about officiating and non calls too reminded me of the appalling lack of calls on the dribbler elbowing his player out of the way. Reed did it twice in the same play sequence, to two defenders and still wasn't called. Low clearly lives off that no call to get past anyone and Bruce got away with one at half court to get past Low. There were others but the absolute classic was the call where Low (I think) pushed off Davidson and Davidson was called for the foul. Then one of the refs decides to call one late in teh game. Sure, it was there but so were the others. Travel fits into the same boat - why call some and not the others?

Moving screens - Low's jump into Tyndale (it's called shirt fronting when you do it in football) who was chasing his player cutting across the base of the key, happened 2 metres from a ref with unimpeded view (they were right on the boundary line under the backboard and he was two steps from them) and not called. There were several others in similar vein if not quite so blatant.

The grabbing and holding - both sides' players were guilty - was rife and calls by the (unsighted) referee just gob smacking. It reminded me of why I gave my season ticket away (to my ex wife) 10 years ago, after having had it since 1985. The refereeing - or the guidelines the refs are given to work to - is too erratic and confusing for people like me. I just get infuriated trying to work out why some things are penalised and others not. In the end, it got in the way of my enjoying the game and was one (not the only) reason I gave up going.

Reply #209979 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

King James what was our win loss record with Hodge in the team?

Reply #209980 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Your last paragraph (re. weak link) mirrors my thoughts on Tyndale, KingJames.

The Sixers with Tyndale are like a plain chicken schnitzel. It's still pretty good, but you wish you were eating chicken parm.

Reply #209981 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kent, he played 12 games and I'm pretty sure we were 6 wins and 6 loss's during that time. What is your point?

Reply #209982 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

So you are favouring a guy that took us to a 50% win loss record with a full team over a guy that is in a team that is not fully fit ( Game 1 was the only time everyone played and we won that easy) and has us at a around 40% with 2 starters missing almost every game.

Just wanted to bring some balance and perspective to the discussion.

I am not saying Hodge was great or that he was bad. Individually he was brilliant but the team still did not move to the winners circle with him involved.

Give the sixers a full squad and i reckon you will find Tyndale will be just fine.

It kind of reminds me of the anti CT emotion. Look at his stats compare them to Darnell and then add onto that the people he was playing with.

Jordan did not win in the NBA until he had the cast around him to get it done. One man does not make the team.

Reply #209988 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Well it would appear to some that Tyndale is a great import. It must have been a coincidence that the team performed so well in the third quarter when he was on the bench. I am sure he is a vey nice young man, but he has so many deficiencies, the biggest one being his "iron gloves" hands.
There were some real positives that came out of last night's game. Luke continues to play brilliantly, Ballinger total class, Davo showing the best for this season, Jacob as usual playing his heart out, Hill not as ordinary as usual and Bruce showing us what he can do.
And we killed them! But remember that we have not beaten anybody so far who is any good, so unless some change is made, we will continue to struggle against the better sides.

Reply #209991 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

"Well it would appear to some that Tyndale is a great import."

I don't think he is a great import but I also don't believe he is as bad as many believe that he is. I think he started each quarter and was on the court when the foundation was laid for a win in each (although the first was drawn). He must have performed at the level the coach required or he would not have had been given the minutes. If a couple of calls or non calls had gone his way he may have scored more in the first half and who knows what would have happened.

Remember Rick Brunson? He was also young and received a lot of criticism and questions about his ability when he was a Sixer but he ended up playing in the NBA.

Reply #209995 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Biggest Pro for Bruce was he slowed down. There were at least 10 instances I saw in the game where Bruce could have attempted a fast break or cross court pass but he slowed down. He also signalled several times to drop the tempo down when there was a steal.

He's been trying to play an NBA style game on an NBL court. Passing lanes are tighter; not much room to move in a 2-3 zone and not much breathing space on either wing for perimeter shooting. Now that he is waking up to the fact his fancing passing doesn't work well in this league, he will adjust and make it fit the NBL game (which is ended up doing quite successfully).

Big Luke showed what happens when you gain confidence in your game. He was spanked in the first Spirit/6ers game and returned the favor last night. 33/20 and 19/18 for 2 straight games is top tier for a Centre in this league.

Balls has "the stroke" (aka. the perfect mid-range jumper). Considering his ease of scoring; with him on the team against the cats; it would have been a win. Arguably the best pickup we've had in years.

Tyndale has "farley syndrome" (i.e. relies on fancy shooting and dunks in order to psych himself up). His Perimeter shot is almost as bad as Hodge; don't know why he has to kick his feet out on a 3. Considering his athleticism, I doubt trying for an extra inch of height will make much difference. If he goes for the inside drive more, he can be a 20,6,6 player.

Reply #209997 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Well let me first say that was a great game last night. Big Luke continues to exceed everyone's expectations of him, he is now second on the team averaging 18.3 ppg, and 1st with 10.6 rpg, and he seems to grow in confidence in relation to his shot-blocking ability every game. And Balls had probably his best game of the season last night, isn't he just the perfect import!

But like it or hate it, I have to have my say on Tyndale. Let me first start by pointing out that Tyndale's best quarter (by a freaking mile too) was the 4th when the game was over. IMHO, anything he does in garbage time shouldn't count for him, that is Hoban and Eze time, who BTW both played well. (Hoban's hook shot was just gorgeous!)

One thing that really interests me is the number of people on here who say they can see Tyndale is really trying, but just isn't up to it. I'd really love to know how you guys come up with that view, because with all due respect, that's crap.

The complete opposite is true. Tinny reminds me of Graeme Dann - all the talent in the world, just not the consistent effort. I noticed many times last night that after a TO tyndale would slowly turn around and jog back the other way, regularly trailing significantly behind his man. Is that the effort of someone who is trying their hardest? Hell no! Seriously, next sat night, I encourage everyone to watch him run up and down the court, you will all see how lazy he is. And how many times a game does he fumble the rock? It's just unbelievable.

Finally, and on a side note, Brad Hill continues to impress me. He largely plays the same role as Tyndale, and last night in the 2nd and 3rd quarters we looked better whenever he was on instead of Tyndale. Yes, he still turns the ball over too much, and I'd love to smack him over the head everytime he attempts a 3 (0-8 on the season now), but I'm really starting to like the idea of him being one of the 1st two guys off the bench.

Reply #210005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought Hill did pretty well though the stats didn't show a whole heap. Showed no hesitation driving to the hoop on a fast break that would've surely meant a flashback for every fan in the stadium who saw the Abney incident.

Reply #210009 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Sad to say but Tyndale's best quarter was the third, when he spent most of the time off the court.

Reply #210026 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Have to say I agree with the comment about Hill - he seemed to be good value, even though it didn't show on the scoreboard. He always looked threatening on offence and played well with and without teh ball in his hands. And yes, my mate and I both went "not the shoulder!" out loud on that break.

And wasn't it Hill who was called for that goal tend when he blocked it against the back board? That was a great play!

Reply #210030 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

good to see the sixers get a win, but i agree with those who want tyndale gone. looks un-coordinated on the court, struggles to catch the ball and appears more of a steals guy than a lock down defender. problem is good imports these days are hard to come by, with so many other leagues offering better money i dont like the chances of finding much better. getting julius last year was just a big stroke of luck, dont count on him wanting to come back.

Reply #210055 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I have struggled to find boxscores for last night's game as I was interested to see just how many minutes Tyndale played. It seemed to me (please correct me if I am wrong) that he spent more time on the bench than on court. Now its true as an import you don't necessarily have to be a great scorer but you still have to be a dominant player. Your contribution in whatever way it is has to be a major one. Whatever his role is, he is not bringing it to the court because if he was, he would be spending more time on it. He was benched for far too long last night simply because he was not good value on court. Now people may make excuses by saying that we already have an abundance of scorers, an abundance of rebounders and whatever else the team is lucky enough to possess, but why would you waste an import spot (only 2 per team) on someone mediocre. Is it a bad thing that instead of winning by 32 we won by 40? Why should we be happy with that while we have an import who is not making his fair share of the contribution. Where a win last night of 32 without enough assistance from Tyndale was enough for this game, it fell way short the previous 5 games. Also as someone else has pointed out, the wins Adelaide have had are against lower rated teams. This Thursday night will be a good test in New Zealand, especially if we are unlucky enough to be blessed with the presence of Phil Jones.

Reply #210093 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

EC, Tyndale played about 33 minutes.

Tyndale is better than half the imports in this league at the moment. If there was a player out there who is available and undoubtedy better than Tyndale then I'd be all for cutting him but until you give us a name or two of players you want to see replace him, stop acting like bringing an absolute superstar to this team is that easy.

Reply #210099 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

XztatiK, how could you forget so quickly? EC wants to see Dusty playing for the 36ers, and he could be our 2nd import.

Reply #210104 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kev, if you wanted to be convincing you would answer the questions raised by my previous post or at very least give a reason why Rychart is not the way to go. You are obviously only interested in coming on this forum and insulting people instead of providing some constructive criticism. If you hadn't noticed, Rychart is one of the top performers for his team. I can hardly say that about Tyndale.

Reply #210108 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

EC,

You make the point that imports need to be dominant. I disagree, as much as I can't stand him Boy-Goorj proved this for many years. His imports often come of the bench and are basically role players.

In regards to Dusty there is no doubt you know what you are going to get with Dusty, but we are already stacked at the 4/5 position with Schensch, Coops, Balls, Jake and I just can't see anywhere Dusty would fit.

Who would you propose Dusty replaces?

Reply #210110 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kent when we had Hodge we had a terrible team including coach we beat the kings that only lost 3 games that season and then lost to the hopeless hawks away. This years team is much better and Injuries to key players should have given Tyndale extra opportunity to step up however he has failed terribly in their absence. Furthermore, in a worse team Hodge still got a better winning percentage then Tyndale has with a far better team.

CT and Mee are in a different league compared with Tyndale. Tyndale is the Paris McCurdy league, there stats prove this comparison!

Bake I think you will find Brunson would have been criticised more towards his ego rather then his ability on court. He ended up as the team MVP and averaged 21ppg, 6apg, 4rpg!

I really think the season is turning! We could possibly beat NZ, that or we will put up a very competitive game! and I think we will beat Cairns at home. We do have some really good positives and a strong (not literally) inside presence with Schensher. We need to get better defensively within the guards position/ Small forward position. Also need that Davidson scoring punch to get us going.

Reply #210122 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol Kev, I didn't forget, just thought it was a joke.

Agree with what Bizzy said in regard to Dusty not fitting in with the twin gingers and Holmes.

We have been so spoilt with good imports in Adelaide recently that we can't see that Tyndale is doing better than the majority of the other imports in the league right now:

Hawkins (gone)
Whitehead
Thomas
Grizzard
Victor
Cortez
Darden
Gruber
Kavossy
Low

Rychart? (calm down EC, just joking :)

and arguably even Hinson.

Reply #210191 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bizzy, nowhere on this thread did I make any suggestion along the lines of who Rychart should replace or whether he even fits on the team. My gripe was with idiots that just post insults for the sake of it. I had no intention a dragging Rychart into this conversation but somebody else did.

In regards to your disagreement on whether imports need to be dominant, no they didn't in Goorjian's team but they certainly do need to be in Ninnis' team.

Reply #210203 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Not sure with your analysis of the other imports being worse then Tyndale. This is how I rate it.

Hawkins (gone)... Tyndale was better

Whitehead Equal - Besides the first 2 games where he was struggling with injury and only had 10 and 14 minutes he would be better statistically then Tyndale. More importantly he had 22 and 19 points against New Zealand and Melbourne teams that imports need to step up against. So I would say he is more likely to be equal with Tyndale and on the rise.

Thomas Better then Tyndale

Grizzard million times better then Tyndale

Victor Better but only playing limited minutes as that is what he is required to do.

Cortez better player. currently in a team that is first.

Darden similar to Cortez and is improving

Gruber. Tyndale is better then him!

Kavossy better then Tyndale

Low. I have no clue why this guy should be here he is leading his team in scoring and assist. He is doing a great job

Even considering Hinson is odd as he is one of the best imports in the league and is doing exactly as Perth require!

So out of 19-20 imports in the league I would say Tyndale is clearly better then one (two if you count Hawkins)

Reply #210253 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Kingjames...

While I havnt seen a single minute of Tyndale I have seen more than enough Whitehead. Even sight unseen Im more than happy to swap the 2 any time the 6ers want!

Reply #210262 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Statman I have never seen Whitehead why is he so bad? From what I hear he seems to be improving. Having said that he hasn't had a good game at home all season. Perhaps tonight is the night. I am looking forward to seeing how Blaze play.

I would bet on them tonight as they have a better team however their coach is terrible! It seems like the decent bigs get limited minutes when they really need them out there. Tonight they would win if they played their bigs for sufficient minutes and play physical with the Crocs.

Statman do you think Blaze will win tonight?

Reply #210264 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754