marc
Years ago

36ers

Should Daniel Cofie be in the nbl?
Apparently this fine player is being approached by European clubs. My thoughts are that he should be in the 36ers squad to avoid this tragedy

Topic #179 | Report this topic

marc  
Years ago

that was meant to read chofie

Reply #1234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That should be Cioffi.

He was in the squad a few years back with Blake Truslove.

He turned down a three year contract with an Italian team recently to play for one year and get a feel for how he felt about it.

Reply #1235 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

With all this talk about Australian players playing US college and European basketball, how come I never see any of them on any NBL list? Surely if they are good enough for these leagues I would think they would be good enough for the NBL, even as a 17 or 18 year old.

Reply #1244 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because they can't accept a paid position if they want a US college scholarship.

Reply #1246 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Further to that, they can't even play on a team with people who ARE getting paid. That's if they want to go to an NCAA school. IE - Joe Ingles has now forfeited any chance of playing for an NCAA school. He cuold (like Michael Zorich) play for an NAIA school, although the standard is similar to a div 2 college... a bit below someone like Ingles' standard (Adam Peck played NAIA college ball!!!).

This is the reason Deb Wilcox is sitting out the ABL seasn this year, she's off to the states soon.

Reply #1251 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing that up, makes sense now!

Reply #1257 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Cioffi!!!!!
Are you Joking????

Wow! I just fell off my chair laughing!

--------------

Zip up the bag! He's flat lined, and I have somewhere else to be.

Reply #1258 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

how was andrew gaze allowed to play for seaton hall(???)seeing as he had already played nbl.

Reply #1266 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

The rule was only passed recently, in 2002 i think.

Hence, Gaze at Seton Hall was many years before the ruling came into play (i think Gaze was at Seton Hall in 1989).

Reply #1269 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I think you will find that the rule was introduced one or two years after Gaze was at Seton Hall, hence in Australia alot of people refer to it as the 'Gaze rule'.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #1279 | Report this post

Da Houndawg #55  
Years ago

Only 2002?

I thought CJ Bruton was disqualified too, from playing NCAA as well.

Reply #1282 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Sorry, I was referring to the rules extention to include our ABA competition. Previously, players could play ABA and then go and play college. I'm pretty sure they changed the rule in 2002, and therefore players were no longer allowed to play ABA if they wanted to pursue a college career.

Reply #1283 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

TO simplify. The rule states that any player who has played for a team in which any players has received payment is classed as a professional lpayer and ineligeble for NCAA competition. They where allowed to recieved a reimbursment for travel, free tape, and some other expenses like team clothing but my understanding is that even these have been closed up for next year.

Reply #1301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754