Quagmire
Years ago

NBA Free Agents- Theory of relativity

All things are relative right?
Like in an island of blind people, the one eyed man is king.

So i got to thinking about NBA players and how players with big production for poor teams can sometimes slip when moved to better teams.

Why does it happen?

(the cynic in me suggests contract withdrawl syndrome...)

Looking at Mo Williams, i know its early days (please no replies about it being too early, of course it is, i'm just using the example), but his production so far has been poor and worthy of comment.

He scored and shot the ball well for the Bucks so why the decline now he is a cav?

Some would say the system changes from team to team and therefore the decline, but experts picked Williams as an excellent fit for the cavs...

My theory is that the level picks up when you play for a contender.

Sure- your playing the same opponents every year whether your on a contender or a lottery team, but do the opponents play with the same intensity? No way.

So we see players put up good numbers for weak teams in losing games; and expect them to replicate the numbers under greater intensity and pressure?

Now this theory doesn't fit for franchise players, they command the best D from opponents anyway, its more the fringe types like Williams. eg, Paul Pierce was always good, Anotione Walker was NOT.

This is something GM's should really be aware of before handing contracts to players benefiting from being on a lottery team.

Topic #17902 | Report this topic

jules  
Years ago

cool...

Reply #210012 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Totally agreed, If you wanna make a name for your self go to a crap team.

On a good team these players get no where near as many shots, because they are not the go to guy anymore.

Would be interesting to know who has gone from a crap team on to a good team and contributed just as well as on his other team. Not many I would say. Even Garnetts numbers dipped slightly, but he probably played better ball in that team. I guess some times stats dont show everything.

Reply #210018 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Your numbers are better on lottery teams and people play harder against top flight teams... i think your on to something

Reply #210021 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

jerome james????

Reply #210046 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Don't stop at james- the WHOLE KNICKS ROSTER came from losing teams.

Except Q-rich i hear you say- He from the phonix suns-but he was a stat stuffer the suns got from.... you guessed it- the clippers.

Reply #210132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754