HAHA
Years ago

Is the NBL finally taking back some control?

In between Goorj being disciplined the other week (unfairly, though) for failing to attend the press conference with Spirit, Conner Henry being fined for his comments after the Breakers win against them and Phil Jones being referred to the Tribunal for a striking charge.
Take out the emotion of whether you agree with any of the inicidents and it seems that in the last 2 weeks alone, the NBL seems to be displaying a bit more control over not quite taking it all lying down.
Let's hope this is a consistent sign of things to come where the NBL powers that be can regain some much needed respect and focus.

What does everyone think?

Topic #17907 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

They still didn't even send Anstey to the Tribunal for elbowing Maher in the head.

The NBL has always penalised coaches for saying the wrong thing or not attending press conferences. They will not allow any criticism of umpires.

I do hope they start taking Control of the league and every player gets treated equally. Instead of getting letting off because who they are or because their owner is on the NBL Board.

Reply #209994 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I know what you mean.
At least McPeake will no longer be both soon as per what they have already acknowledged to be a problem.
Moving forward though, the proactive nature they seem to have displayed recently appears to be a step in the right direction of showing a bit more accountability.

Reply #209996 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Goorjian got an official warning because the Spirit didn't get him from the proper spot at their game (and the same happened to another coach recently too), yet Joyce got a lame caution for some media interference re the Ross Lewis incident. Need to get their priorities right on that one.

Reply #209999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they look more involved than in the past

Reply #210001 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I reckon the excuses from the coach that "no one came and got me" is pretty lame. They know that they have to attend the press conference how about asking someone and showing some initiative.

Reply #210002 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they were explicitly told to wait there. From the bits I read, Goorjian did actually make the effort to then find out where he was supposed to be, but had no luck. Sounded like a definite problem from the Spirit's end and not worth publicising with a caution or warning at all - more that the league shouldn't sorted out a process with Sydney and then notified all coaches to avoid the mistake in the future.

Reply #210008 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Its useless what they do who cares

Reply #210024 | Report this post

9,499th Fan  
Years ago

What a joke - the NBL should look at themselves and the sitution in which coaches (in this Case Henry) have to deal with. What a JOKE that crap was, im not a wildcats fan, far from it, but that is suck a crock of shit.

$1000, the ref should be tossed for the season for that crap.

Reply #210074 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For the end of game call? When, faced with a split second decision to make without the benefit of slow motion footage, he might have made the wrong call?

Harsh call to kick someone out of their job for what's still not conclusively been shown to be a mistake!

Reply #210079 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

In regards to the Goorjian incident, if he did the right thing and made an attempt to find out where he should be for the press conference and was unsuccessful, then the problem lies with the Spirit in not giving clear instructions. Somebody stuffed up whether it be Goorjian or not so somebody should have been penalized for it. Not very fair to a previous coach who did get penalised for not attending a press conference regardless of the reason for it.

Reply #210087 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I wouldn't call anything the NBL has done in the past 2 weeks "control".

The Goorj incident is a yearly occurance and is nothing new.

The Phil Jones saga is nothing more than picking out one from the bunch; picking up Anstey would have been better considering there was open admition to the foul being "directed" and "intentional". I would personally look at multi-game suspension for that sort of conduct.

Reply #210115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754