Thomas
Years ago

Lyall Gillett - Woodville

I have watched Lyall grow up from a junior, but being a player in Adelaide I rarely get to watch him play.

Can fans of Lyall please tell me how he is going in the Summer Silly Season of Basketball & what his chances are of making it into the teams come Winter Serious Season.

Thanks.

Topic #1793 | Report this topic

keyboard king  
Years ago

is he the u18 - plays like a racehorse?

Reply #20378 | Report this post

Thomas  
Years ago

LOL! Sounds about right..... He is having a go in the reserves this year & he is very quiet & modest, so I am keen on any feedback that can be given.
Thanks.

Reply #20381 | Report this post

keyboard king  
Years ago

haven't seen him play for a few months - but he is good - plays like a man possesed

he has the goods

2 main factors in his game i like -

attitude and fitness

good vert leap

Reply #20382 | Report this post

keyboard king  
Years ago

woodvilles reserves have been as strong as the abl men the last few seasons - winning a title or two and top 3 most of season for the last 3 years or so

I believe they are looking for a new coach - meyers must not be doing it - that's not mike meyers either !

Reply #20383 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

i have played in lyalls teams most years since he came to the club. he is playing 20 1's this season, and lin loves him in the team. im fairly sure he will b in the abl team this year, because they will need him, but he will mainly b playing in the resevers i would say. he has great hustle, he is a great team man and a great bloke. if he keeps playing he will b in the mens side for a while to come i would say

Reply #20392 | Report this post

australian open  
Years ago

yes take luck - woodville do not neccisarily get the numbers of country players that say sturt get - but the country ones they do entertain are top shelf

another lachy parker on the way?

any idea what woodies abl ine ups for men and women are for 2005?

Reply #20395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this the kid that used to play for south and used to live out a long way (cant remember exact location)? If so damn he's come a long way if he's gonna be playin for woodies ABL team.

Reply #20397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just remembered... is he the pirie kid? I remember him and another one of his pirie mates came and played for South. Then they disappeared. Is this the Lyall?

Reply #20398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes

Reply #20399 | Report this post

Thomas  
Years ago

Take Luck - without knowing who you are the next time I see Lyall, I will let him know he has a fan!

Lyall occasionally plays a game here for my club Agnes, he is freak!

As for South, Cameron Green was the other player from Port Pirie. Not boasting, we have a lot of talented & committed players here in our league, worth a definite look come SA Champs.

Other going well in Adelaide are Bill Becker for U18's North (we have claimed him for the past 3 seasons), Georgia Arnold in the U16's Norwood Girls, previously Abby Bishop (AIS) and Jenna Hoare who was at North for a while then over to the Mavericks for a season stint.

Reply #20403 | Report this post

australian open  
Years ago

what about your kick ass Pirie u12 boys representative team - they would be u14s now ?

Reply #20404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cameron Green that's the guy... Cheers Thomas. I used to play with the two of them when they were at South. Great people and players. Hmmm... So Lyall's playing U20 div 1 now. I'll have to make an effort to see him play as I havent seen him since U14's I reckon it was.

Thomas you able to tell us what Cameron's playing lately? If he's playing at all that is?

Reply #20405 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

John Myers won't be coaching the reserves or be assisting the league. My mail has ex-team manager Greg Breavington taking his place.

Reply #20410 | Report this post

Thomas  
Years ago

Australian Open - Yep, they are all in the U14's now. That age group is tough anyone can take the title this year I reckon, but shooting for their third straight Country Champs Title might get them over the line.
Anon - Cameron Green is one of the most underrated players I have seen. He has been carving the Pirie competition up for the past years of his life, but he now plays in Roxby after applying for a job (although 1 year too young), they took him anyway, along with contracts to play football & basketball.

Reply #20414 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

Anyway, here's why Lyall is good:

He's super athletic
He's quick
He can read the play
He is remarkably strong for his body and height (fairly skinny 6'3)
He can score easily
He is left handed

As I said before, with Woodville's limited resources, Lyall could make an excellent 7-8 man this year, maybe even a 6th man.

P.s I am not Lyall.

Reply #20498 | Report this post

Thomas  
Years ago

I really can't see the point of staying anonymous, we don't need to know last names etc., but each to their own.

My belief is if you can't accept the responsibility of your own words or actions then don't say or do what you can't back up.......

Thanks for the feedback, although I am a little confused? Which is the more difficult age bracket? U20's or ABA? Portal to the... says he is struggling in 20's but carving it up in the ABA.

Also if staying anonymous is a part of the correspondance of Hoops, then why is Portal to the... pretty quick to add that Lyn (I assume is the coach) thinks he is struggling.... That will keep Lyall's self esteem in tact to try & perform well.... Great team mate!

Reply #20513 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

Lyall doesn't read this forum.

And I don't know the reason behind it. He's not struggling as such... we have a very great team in u20's at the moment, every single player contributes, but Lyall doesn't play as well as he can do. I have seen him in the Summer season ABA (whatever that league is called) he would average about 12 points about 5 boards or so I would assume. I was thinking about it, he should probably give up 20's and focus entirely on seniors, it is too much effort and way too expensive for him to drive from Pt Pirie and back all the time. But whatever. Hopefully with all the pre-season work he's done he can help us dominate :)

And yes, Lyn is the coach.

And Take Luck probably knows exactly who I am, and probably knows exactly why I am keeping anonymous.

Reply #20516 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

geez Ryan W your still posting on this forum.your comp must be hi tech if your allowed to break the 'blocked' system

Reply #20569 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

lyall can bestopped .block his left hand side

Reply #20570 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Poor Lyall. First he merges with P&G today (for those who follow the financial world), and then he cops a hammering on this website.

Lyall - chin up dude. If it means anything, your stock price is rising on the share market!

[But seriously, knowing Lyall, he'll laugh all this off. Tough kid with a good 'tude.] ;-)

Reply #20579 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

I'm sure you are still sooking about being in div 2 Mick, just don't let people see all those stolen gnomes in your backyard

Reply #20590 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

what the ones you put there

Reply #20628 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

its amazing what an oppotunity can do.i deserved one you didnt.your lucky you have a manager

Reply #20629 | Report this post

greg breaverington - coaching reserves ! - he is an old school legend.

go greg - live the dream !

knee high sox and stubbies

good luck GB !

Reply #20699 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thread over. No more posts please.

Reply #21353 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

ok!

Reply #21368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754