AndyOG
Years ago

Murray Magpie Crows confusion

A few weeks back it was announced that the Adelaide 36ers and Adelaide Crows would forge a partnership to cross-promote the two South Australian sporting clubs. However, I for one find it some what ironic that the Crows are so keen to support a basketball club whose beloved mascot just happens to be a Magpie named Murray. Ironic because the Adelaide Crows spent a considerable amount of time and effort in the early 1990s trying to keep the Port Adelaide Magpie out of the AFL!

Surely the powers that be down at Alberton (if they gave a rat's toss bag about basketball  I know they have a lot on their plate at the moment) would get a mild chuckle knowing that the Camry Crow and our own Murray Magpie will appear alongside each other as allies at school events and other promotional occasions in the not to distant future. The confusion for little Billy and Sarah "Crows fan" as to where their allegiance should lie will be palpable. How will their parents explain to them that despite the fact that the Crows hate the Magpies, it is okay to like this particular lovable magpie? For me, this scenario it is the definition of a contradiction.

I also fear also for young Murray, that he may become the ultimate martyr of South Australian sports history. Hypothetically, will uncouth crows fans turn on poor Murray if the Pies defeat the Crows in a nail biter AFL grand final due to the obvious fact that he is a magpie adopted into enemy territory?.

Furthermore should the Adelaide 36ers have concerns that Murray may be wheeled out at the next showdown down at West Lakes, stripped of his 36ers clobber, bent over and metaphorically rooted by the Adelaide Crow as a way of riling up Port Adelaide fans in the grandstands?

Even Joffa and his Collingwood brethren for that matter might take offence to a back flipping Murray celebrating a win by the Crows, and we all know how protective the team from Collingwood is of its image. They won't even wear an away strip due to their dyed in the wool love of all things black and white for crying out loud.

What really puzzles me though is how nobody at either club gave consideration to the fact that the Adelaide Crows are unashamedly, blatantly anti-magpies when they decided to join forces with the Adelaide 36ers. One thing that is apparent is that they were obviously oblivious to Murray the Magpie. So what other things have they overlooked?

Now you may think I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here, and that Murray is just tiny part of the 36ers storied history, but when the dictionary defines a mascot as

"A person, animal, or object believed to bring good luck, especially one kept as the symbol of an organization such as a sports team"

Are we not toying with the spirits of good luck with this bizarre and unholy union of enemy mascots?, particularly on the Adelaide Crows side the coin?

In conclusion, it makes no sense to me at all when we talk about lucky charms that the Crows would adopt a mascot who is so beloved and revered by their arched enemy. It makes no sense. It is on par with asking for a Big Mac at Hungry Jacks, like asking Marilyn Manson to stand in for the Pope on Easter Sunday, or asking president elect Barack Obama to be the guest speaker at the next national KKK convention, it just flies in the face of common sense and is hazardous to boot. I think my musings here show that The Adelaide Crows in particular are wearing egg on the face over this oversight. The sixers should fear less as they have no ill feelings towards crows of any description.

And that's my two cents worth.

* Andy OG is a life long supporter of the Adelaide 36ers and also supports the Port Adelaide Power in the AFL.

Topic #17937 | Report this topic

Black Dracula  
Years ago

That was a mighty rant for such a trivial issue.

Reply #210336 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

This guy probably needs to just sit back and take it easy for a couple of rounds!

Reply #210337 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i would pay to listen to a conversation between ddfan and andy.

That was grade A frontier jibarish

Reply #210340 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

time for a couple of panadol and a good lie down i think

Reply #210344 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol what a load of crap.

Ohhhh no, a magpie and a crow together, IT WILL NEVER WORK!!! It's going to blow up in everyone's faces!

I knew you Port supporters would be unhappy with this partnership but if this is the only thing you can find wrong with it thenI'm pretty bloody confident it's going to work out.

But if it doesn't, and the world explodes in a blaze of contradicting mascots, here's an idea... paint all the white bits on Murray's costume so he's all black. 'MURRAY THE CROW'!!!

Reply #210345 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I'ts his 1st thread. There's years of frustration coming out in that post.

Reply #210359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah the magpie belongs to Port Adelaide NOT Port Power.

Don't the Power have that stupid thunderbolt........

And I think the alliance between the Crows and 36ers goes way deeper and into more important issues than stupid mascot.

I doubt the Dome will see the Crows mascot and I doubt Murray will attend Crows games.

TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!

Reply #210362 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Andy,Andy,Andy.Tch,Tch,Tch.
You are confusing the Australian magpie(Gymnorhina tibicen) of the Port Adelaide Magpies and Collingwood Teams with the Magpie-Lark(Grallina Cyanoleuca) of the South Australian Fauna Emblem.Hence the 36Ers' mascot.Also known in various States as the Mudlark,the Murray or the PeeWee.These are the ones that attack your car Mirrors.The Aforementioned dive bomb during nesting Season and are usually shot by police.Which is where I will stop Typing,Andy!!

Reply #210366 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Is that Murray or Murry Magpie?

Reply #210378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

useless thread - what a load of rubbish!!

Reply #210382 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Reply #210389 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The first paragraph was not entirely correct...

Ironic because the Adelaide Crows spent a considerable amount of time and effort in the early 1990s trying to keep the Port Adelaide Magpie out of the AFL!

I don't think they tried to keep the Port Adelaide Magpie out of the AFL because Collingwood already has it. They would not of been allowed to use it anyway....

Reply #210406 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Very nice Billy Madison reference there B Fresh...lol

Reply #210415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many Power fans (lol) would know who the Port Magpies are???

Reply #210577 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

sounds like somebody could use a hug.

i just spent 3 minutes of my life reading that... and i want those 3 minutes back!

Reply #210892 | Report this post

Flu-Bird  
Years ago

MAGPIES and CROWS are related as i understand

Reply #231549 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754