Isaac
Years ago

Redhage: Keep players informed on reform

Perth Wildcat Shawn Redhage has written an opinion piece on PerthNow:

There's some growing unrest among the players, especially with the consensus that the league needs to go back to eight teams.

In two years, you'll have taken away almost 40 per cent of the pro basketball jobs in the country, which is really going to hurt the development of young players.

I don't think the players have all the answers, but is it too much to ask to keep us informed, especially when this is our livelihood and many have families to take care of?
Perth Wildcats' Shawn Redhage speaks on basketballs merge

For the sake of the players, here's hoping they start with a 10 team league.

Fewer teams might be more attractive to Fox, but more teams spreads the investment burden over more owners. Take out Cairns, for example, and the remaining fans don't shift to watch another team and the owner doesn't invest in another club - that owner and those fans are more or less lost to the league. And, of course, players are lost from the top-tier of the sport too, not to mention coaches, support staff like trainers and physios, etc.

Personally, I'd rather have a ten team league where most games were broadcast rather than an eight team league where all games were shown.

Topic #17982 | Report this topic

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

This may have already come up and been answered by someone, but what happens to players that have signed contracts beyond next season ?
Do all current contracts become null and void ?
I can see a lot of players and clubs losing out big time if the slate is wiped clean.
Maybe the league should resort to school yard tactics and line up all the players while team owners take it in turns to select a player, until each clubs roster is full.
Could be a good way of ensuring that only the best available players are in the league, and would at least start the teams off with a somewhat equal level of player talent for the first season.

Reply #210945 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mentioned by Gaze and Harmison they will go with the best option. If that be ten clubs in good order and condition, they will go with that. Season starts Oct.

Reply #210948 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Naturally contracts would have to be null and void past this season- especially those signed to clubs who ultimately cannot afford to be in next season.
No offence to Red whatsoever, but the players, no matter how much they get told (taking much of it with a grain of salt and sugar coated in many instances) wouldn't have the answers anyway.
The ins and outs would be pretty intricate- I stress that I'm not saying players are dumb, but I disagree they would have the business accumen, let alone time, to grasp.

Reply #210951 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Forgot to mention that he is right- they should be more informed, but doubt it is appropriate they think they can solve these issues in the detail and impartial way that would be necessary.

Reply #210952 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

HAHA, if your livelihood was on the line, even if you weren't given a say (which none of us are), you'd at least like to be shown the respect of being kept up to date with what's going on.

Reply #210957 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

You'd think they'd be kept informed.
I only heard via radio interviews about FOX think MAYBE 8 could be their way of marketing. But nothing is fixed yet. It will come to the quality of clubs and what would be best.

Reply #210958 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Camel 31:
"You'd think they'd be kept informed."

I agree, but obviously they weren't.
Then again, there were 3 owners that felt they were in the same boat. That adds up to a $hitload of people (ALL current 10 team NBL players & owners) that had every right to want the info.

Reply #210961 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

DDFan it might be an idea to not take a part of people's posts out of context. Things are a lot more complex than any of us know, and clubs that still think with a sense of 'what is best for my agenda/ club' are part of the problem and aren't helping anybody, let alone themselves, when most clubs' focus has shifted to smarter thinking such as 'what is best for the greater good and once that's sorted, then it would be appropriate to get competitive again.'
Some players may not like what they discover.

Reply #210962 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Redhage's gripe would be more about feeling involved and informed than really thinking that players are going to be able to contribute to the reform planning.

But then, they'd all be aware of the range of possibilities that might eventuate (eight team league, ten teams, 12 teams; reduction in regional teams, higher salaries, lower salaries, more televised games, more promotional requirements) and could act based on that uncertainty (avoid buying a house, etc).

I don't think the situation the players are in is any different to working for a company. Companies plan reforms/adjustments and rarely notify non-management-level employees until quite late in the picture (e.g., can be notified of redundancy with minimal warning). And redundancy pay-outs won't arise on short term contracts and any long-term contracts may have clauses absolving clubs of responsibility should the league make large scale changes that they can do little about.

Reply #210967 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

For sure Isaac- in a company environment we wouldn't expect anything else.
But how do the powers that be have much control over that, when they fly around the country every 2nd week, know people like other players from other teams, media, etc who can get their wires crossed?
They are essentially 10 different companies operating differently under one logo.

Reply #210973 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can you clarify your question: Which powers (league/reform-board or club owners)? And control over what?

I'm saying that there's probably not a whole heap more that the league can reveal that players wouldn't already be hearing. Also, that they likely already have (a) enough information to lead to a cautious approach on certain decisions, and (b) as much information as most employees in a company undergoing change might usually have.

Chances are, there will be a league next year. It will probably have at least eight or ten teams. If you're not in an Australian capital that already has a team, your team is slightly less likely to be participating. Salaries could change in either direction, probably not drastically down though. If you're a starter or early sub on your team, you should be able to find yourself a job in the new league; if not, don't necessarily buy yourself a house and assume you have guaranteed income over the coming years. If your health/fitness is good, perhaps have your agent find an off-season gig in the SEABL/NZNBL/ABL to supplement your income. Or learn how to install blinds. And so on.

Reply #210976 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Sorry I meant to say how could the league control what players are told when there are differing opinions of where everything is heading and club reps/owners are sayìng they haven't been told anything.
Some of what's been done and said by clubs (if it looks unfavourable on the club) would be filterìng what players are even told in detail- nobody would want to look back and say they did or said things to players or the NBL that indirectly impedes on progress.

Reply #210977 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I guess the NBL might've said nothing in detail about plans so that things don't get misconstrued, loopholes don't get found to circumnavigate decisions clubs don't like, then a stand-off situation is the result and nothing changes until everybody is completely satisfied which may not have happened until 2020. I agree there are some things players need to know but where do you draw the line when much is still being discussed?
(I am just theorising here)

Reply #210979 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I've heard from a NBL coach 8 teams only and no point cap system for the new league...

Reply #211035 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Not sure about the points cap mate- haven't heard anything mentioned. (this ties in with what I mentioned earlier and the difficulty for the NBL in knowing what is getting passed on from clubs to players day to day)
Personally I'd like to see it gone as it's riddled with holes.
As for the 8 teams, Derwin said they'll take as many teams as who fits the criteria.

Reply #211040 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Sounds like the NRL and Super League debacle crossed wioth A-League expectations

Reply #211059 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Has to be at least 10 teams!!!
Otherwise who are you going to drop??
Hawks and Spirit?? no team in NSW!!
Cairns or Taipans??? Very strong supporter base

The only teams you could possibly drop are Blaze and 1 of Hawks/Spirit.

If they drop back to 8 teams then that is a lot of bball jobs going up in smoke.
Even more juniors will be jumping ship to other sports if that happens.

Unless they are actually going to sort out a way of enforcing the Salary Cap they should scrap it and improve the Points Cap.
Have a panel of 20 former players allocate points and then average them out.
Don't make stupid all in one rules like if you come back from Europe then you are always 10pts.

Reply #211084 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

HAHA, I didn't mean that the players should have input to the outcome, but they deserve to have an official line of communication of where things are. There'd be shitloads of goss fly'n around, & some of it as you say, could be filtered, twisted by certain self interested parties.
I wouldn't like my livelihood on the line & only have unofficial info trickling through. The guys have short career spans as it is, & would have every right to be nervous about the projected team reductions etc.
BTW: This post is not a bash, just trying to explain it a bit clearer. It's all good.

Reply #211158 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I agree they deserve to know what is going on, but in order to know the truth I'm just saying that some of them may not like what the truth uncovers, and some of it will be about their own clubs.
The question is can they handle the truth?

I too believe that the NBL should've sat down with the clubs and discussed it between themselves, but the only reason for it that I can see is that maybe they wouldn't have agreed until they were all happy with all the nitty gritty and the league would still be in limbo for seasons to come.
If that is not the reason why the league hasn't kept the clubs informed then yes, they have a lot to answer for.

So I apologise if we both misread some things- all good at my end also.

Reply #211182 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

HAHA:
"I agree they deserve to know what is going on, but in order to know the truth I'm just saying that some of them may not like what the truth uncovers,"

In their situation, I'd still like to be informed. They're going to have to cop it sweet sooner or later, at least if they're officially informed of the progress, it soothe the un-necessary fear of what's happening behind their backs.

HAHA:
"and some of it will be about their own clubs.
The question is can they handle the truth?"

Simple fact, they have to. ; )

Cheers

Reply #211211 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

We look at it that way, but I'm not convinced that some of them would!

Reply #211241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might it be the responsibility of the club owners to keep their employees informed where they deem it appropriate? Or could they be restricted in passing on that information?

Reply #211244 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'm worried that maybe the owners, might only pass on, what "they wanted" the players to hear. That could be the feeling behind Redhages out pouring, maybe. Dunno.

Reply #211275 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I'd put money on it- and that's in part, what I meant when I said how much can they handle hearing and would they like what they uncover, partly about their own clubs.

Reply #211281 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I get it now. Cool. : )

Reply #211283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754