Quagmire
Years ago

Spurs- Tough road ahead

In keeping with my knee-jerk reactions to recent events, i wanted to ask if it is all over for the Spurs in terms of title aspirations?

Now they may well find their feet at some stage and make the play-offs but honestly- are they a contender or making up the numbers?

NBA champs tend to be very strong defensive teams and although the big 3 can clearly still play the O side of the court- the D is slipping in San Anton.

Bowen has clearly succumbed to father time. He can no longer be counted on to stay infront of the D-wills, CP3's and Kobes of the west, an ability that was so vital in their prime years. And Timmy D seems to be just Timmy these days, not the demon patrolling the paint he once was.

Will a deal be made before feb to help the spurs? Some talk of the spurs attempting to get either G Wallace from the bobcats or Harrington from the warriors- which would really help- but what have they got to offer?

There is even talk of getting Curry from the knicks but that is really just an indication of how desperate the spurs may have become...

So look forward to Parker and Gino's return, but remember that neither of them is going to change the spurs defensive probs. And teams don't win championships without being top 3 in the L defensively.

Topic #17995 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

In keeping with my knee-jerk reactions to recent events...
Funniest line of the week - entertaining and self-aware!

Reply #211203 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Parker out for a month, Manu is due back in mid December. It's going to be a long 4 or 5 weeks for them.

Tue 11 vs New York
Wed 12 @ Milwaukee
Fri 14 vs Houston
Sun 16 @ Sacramento
Mon 17 @ LA Clippers
Wed 19 vs Denver
Fri 21 vs Utah
Mon 24 @ Memphis
Wed 26 vs Chicago
Fri 28 vs Memphis
Sat 29 @ Houston

December
Tue 02 vs Detroit
Thu 04 @ Denver
Sat 06 vs Golden State
Tue 09 @ Dallas
Wed 10 vs Atlanta
Fri 12 @ Minnesota
Sun 14 vs Oklahoma City

I see way more L's than W's in that schedule they way they are currently playing.

Reply #211207 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

When Jacque Vaughn is your starting PG, you know you are in trouble.

Reply #211212 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Trade Manu!

Reply #211217 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Trade Duncan while he still has value.
They could get 2/3 quality players to a team desperate enough to get a legit star on board.

Reply #211228 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

If any team in the league lost thier second and third best players they'd be in trouble. I think it's only a matter of time before their defense picks up... with Mason, Hill, Farmer and Tolliver all playing significant minutes you would expect it to take a while getting used to the system. Doctor i'd think Hill will start, looks like a really good defender and considering his college stats just in a shooting slump atm.

Reply #211230 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think they really missed out when Maggette signed with the warriors. Apparently he was very close, then Baron left the Warriors with a shitload of cash, which they then offered to Maggette. Put Maggette in there, they get a few wins while the guards are out then make a run late in the seaon.

Unfortunately, I think they are in real trouble.

Reply #211231 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

I agree Kent they could get a good deal for Duncan, but I doubt that franchise is going to deal him after their history together. There would be quite a few unhappy fans i think...

Reply #211234 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

agreed B-Fresh. Would be similar to when the Knicks dealt Ewing.

Duncan has sacrificed a heap of cash for the Spurs (in not asking the max) and I would guess they will keep him until he retires or wants to leave as a free agent to sign with a contender. Would be a handy 6th man in a couple of years

Reply #211238 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Couldnt imagine duncan taking a 6th man role. To much pride and pure love for the game not the cash, he will retire on top.

Reply #211256 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

If they don't get to .500 soon then the season could be over for them. In the West this year you are going to need near 50 wins to make the playoffs. Imagine that, the Spurs not in the playoffs!

All of these West teams could be 50-win teams this year:

Lakers
Hornets
Suns
Mavericks
Rockets
Jazz
Nuggets
Trailblazers

Tough times ahead for the Spurs

Reply #211296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are done this season with the current roster. Outside their Big 3 (2 of whom we know are injured), the rest of the squad looks like a D League team. Bowen is old, Finley is past it. Thomas and Udoka are good role players but the rest of the roster is dead set struggling in terms of NBA quality.

Reply #211300 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think Roger Mason is also a good role player and has been and will prove to be a good role player for the Spurs so maybe put him with Udoka and Thomas?

Reply #211301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754