Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Night: 36ers against the 'Goons

Seems as though everyone has written off the Sixers in their game against the Dragons. Poor road form, injuries to key players, and a "rookie coach" seem to be against the Sixers, whereas the Dragoons are top of the table and at home at the "Hyacinth" arena so everything should go their way.
But pride cometh before the fall and these games seem to have shock results. We've got Maher and Davidson back and there's a point to prove to knockers.

Worthington is their #1 danger man with impressive stats of 17.6 ppg and 7.6 rpg, Jingles sits with 13.7 and 5.1, Groves is 40% 3P and even Horvath seems to be a threat!

The 'Goons seem to have us with a better 3P% and around 8.7 more 3PA/game. We have the edge in RBs, but they have the edge in ST, BL and TO.

With 1 on 1's, I reckon Jacob would have the edge on Jingles, Luke on Horvath, and Balls has got more game than Worthington.

That leaves Azza and Brad to tie up Groves to stop his 3P play.

Punters are tipping Dragons by 11, I reckon we stand a chance to win this one if we shut down their 3P plays in defence, feed our talls in offence, and don't try too many silly passes when bringing the ball down.

What do people think?

(Mod: Bumping date.)

Topic #18010 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

Tyndale on Ingles would be an interesting match up I reckon

Reply #211322 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Is Horvath stil out?

Reply #211323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the South Dragons ever been labelled the "goons" before?

When I opened this thread I thought it was about another lame half time entertainment match!

Reply #211324 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Horvath still has a couple of weeks out.

I think you guys are a real chance tonight.

Reply #211326 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Good Report Jack Toft!

Davidson and Maher will make a big difference. If those two can have a good game then we will probably win the game.

However, I don't think we will win. Both the Dragons defense and offense is great due to Goorgian.

I think the match ups also favour them.

Schensher is better then Burston (Harvath isn't playing as far as im aware)
Worthington is better then Ballinger (however this is debatable)
Holmes is better then Darden (However Darden I am expecting to be very athletic and might cause us problems)
Inges is better then Tydnale (With Maher and Davidson back i'm expecting to see another bad performance by Tyndale hopefully he proves me wrong)
Gibson is better then Bruce

We have a better bench so hopefully they step up. Hopefully Winatana can come out of his shell and give us a much needed scoring boost.

Tab have the Line at 10.5 while center bet has it at 9.5. I think we will lose by 8-12 but it will be competitive most of the game However I wouldn't be brave enough to bet.

Good luck Worthington trying to shoot over Luke inside!

Reply #211327 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those fancying Adelaide's chances, Centrebet have the 36ers at about $4.75. The line is -8.5 or so, favouring the home side. I am staying out of this one I think.

Edit: Beat me to it KJ - I think a -10-12 point line is probably on the money.

Reply #211329 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Bruce is better than Gibson, people are very quick to forget this guy has a bad knee right now, and when fit came out of the gate son fire in first few games!

Id take ballinger over Wothro everytime...
Without Horvath, 6ers should win

Reply #211331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide will also need to contain Dragons bench. The often forgotten Herbert has hurt Adelaide in the past and Carter is having a good season. Dragons by 10 for me.

Reply #211332 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'm lik'n our chances now that we've got a full squad. Horvath's been a factor for the Dragons & he'll be missed. They've got plenty of options to chuck around just the same, but so have we.
My vibe is for a tough close game, but a smack'n to Goorj & some of their tool fans (not you DICKO, but you'd know who I mean), would be a nice surprise. : )
Scottie, Jake & Hillster's reception could be interesting too, not that I'm expecting boos by any means (the opposite in fact).

Reply #211336 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Wortho's size will trouble Balls and could well be the key.

Reply #211339 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DJ, Ballinger is taller and weighs more. What size are you referring to? :P Ballinger's height and weight is alot more then it seems, so I understand you thinking Worthington is bigger.

Reply #211345 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This is a game we should lose, therefore going by history, one we will probably win! The Sixers have a habit of knocking off the top team, away, over the last two or three years, particularly when they are on long winning runs (Melbourne and Sydney come to mind).

Reply #211348 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

i would love to see big luke stick it to goorj tonight
after being cut from the olympic squad in the first round!!
plus its goorj's style of coaching that has seen big
7 footers become obsolete in this league, the 5 spot is so watered down in the nbl it is pathetic.a bunch of 6'8,6'9 multi skilled guys parading as centers!!
hope big luke dominates the league this year and we see more 7' soon

Reply #211349 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If we can beat the Breakers in Auckland, we can beat the Dragons in Melbourne.

It's just a matter of them putting in the effort to do it.

Reply #211356 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"If we can beat the Breakers in Auckland, we can beat the Dragons in Melbourne.

It's just a matter of them putting in the effort to do it."

Or it's a matter of having the starting point guard and the sixth man out of the side.

Reply #211366 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DICKO are you referring to NZ or the Sixers as both teams had that same scenario ;)

I understand your point though Dragons have a full line up and are on top of the ladder. Sixers will have to play 4 quarters of basketball to have any chance.

Reply #211367 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

DICKO, are you just reading the Melbourne press?

Both teams were missing key players..

Reply #211370 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Dragons with a very easy win,21-34.

Reply #211397 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Should have clarified more, Wortho size as in being smaller is an advantage in this matchup IMO. Balls will struggle to contain him even though he isnt exactly quick he stays well composed with the ball.

However if Horvath is out Dragons should struggle to defend our inside presence as long as we go to it often, this will work even better if our guards can hit their long range shots and is the key to the Sixers success this season. Having that inside outside option that forces teams to gamble on one or the other, at the moment I'd be gambling on the Sixers outside ability and defending hard in the paint.

Just heading out the door now for the game. Go Sixers! And for those in Adelaide that don't have Fox surely must be going to the soccer, so go United (although that will be a long shot! maybe the heat can be a factor).

Reply #211399 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

looking fwd this game . Schensch although he will be mugged will be the key and should help get our outside shooters free. Having Davo back will be huge to stabilize team . Brett and Adam will keep us in the game if given opportunity.
I am worried about Worthington and Inglis espec. if they put Tyndale on him. He would blow pass him with no effort.
It will be tough but hope our work effort gets reward tonight

Reply #211401 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

36ers 8 TOs to 0....
4 mins to go in the first quarter.

Reply #211408 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Can't win games with that many TOs.

Reply #211409 | Report this post

ando  
Years ago

these turnovers are killing us. we need to stop these stupid passes

Reply #211410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the score? I dont have foxtel and of course the NBL live scores doesnt appear to be working.

Reply #211411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont worry. finally got it to work.

Reply #211412 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We were up 6 to 3 at after 4mins.. Goorjian time out and away they went.. wonder wot he said..
We dont call many time outs ..do we..

Reply #211415 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Adelaide down by 6 at the quarter. 29 - 23.

Reply #211416 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

35-23 8:35 to go in 2nd

Reply #211417 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Could we play any worse?

Reply #211418 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

dont wanna sound stupid but will go ahead where is the live scores?

Reply #211419 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You can check them out here:

Live Scores

Reply #211420 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

cheers

Reply #211421 | Report this post

rookie  
Years ago

no wonder we have been playing crap according to fox sports phil is still coaching.

Reply #211422 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

That was great D by Brad Hill and an offensive foul on Jingles IMO.

Reply #211423 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

50 - 41 at halftime dragons up.

36ers 16 turnovers????

Reply #211424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons are making the 36ers look very average

Reply #211425 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

at least we are within striking distance despite our bad play. Hill was great last week as well.

Reply #211426 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What about Carfino.....

Bretts' new book, Mahervellous. Get it Brett Maher, Mahervellous???

Reply #211427 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Gaze: I would like to see Adelaide use Luke S and Adam Ballinger a bit more inside....

Reply #211428 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Bruce needed to hold for the last shot on that last play. Turnover and 1 more chance to draw a 4th before halftime! Brad Hill is a liability trying to make that first pass to a wing, when starting up the offense. Ballinger is the key, he will need 25 shots. Luke missed a 'Luke like' shot, and Cooper missed a sitter at start of the 2nd. Some real frustrating things to watch, and thats before you put the cameras on Gaze and Carfino!!

Our D is solid and we are still in it, last couple of games our 3rd quarters have been brilliant, in this game we need that to continue!!!

Reply #211429 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

If it wasn't for turnovers, the 6ers would be flying in this match! 7 out of 10 of the players have registered at least 1 turnover - what does this tell us, that they don't understand the offence or that we're totally careless with the ball? I can't believe so much is being thrown away. 5 of them have more than 1 turnover to their credit

Reply #211431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

way to come out in the 3rd with 0 passion at all.

Reply #211432 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

74 - 57 dragons. end of the third.

Too many turnovers
Bad defensive pressure
Bad shot selection

Meanwhile the Blaze are getting it done against the Spirit.....

Reply #211434 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

24 bloody turnovers....

Reply #211435 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

We basically stink, think that is the problem.

Reply #211436 | Report this post

Iluv2ball  
Years ago

)Quasi said )If it wasn't for turnovers 6ers would be flying..... well um... aren't turnovers a part of the game???? I don't think you can use that as an excuse.

The sixers had no chance against a very strong defensive team. Bruce is injured and frankly there is no one at sixers who can cover ingles... holmes???? must be joking not quick enough... Im not hating I am just sick of hearing about the sixers are going win and how good the players are... The sixers have great individual players and need time to gel... Tyndale is not an appropriate fit to the team... and bruce needs to rest.... Dragons are the in form team and everyone must have expected them to win by 20....

Not hating just stating the trith.

Reply #211437 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

29 TO's.

Reply #211438 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

3 minutes to go "Dragoons" up by 21.

Reply #211440 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Agreed Iluv2ball, of course it's not an excuse and turnovers are a part of the game, it's an abominable stat to have. And we can't only blame 1 player for turning the ball over in this match - there's a truckload to choose from.

Reply #211441 | Report this post

Harold Miner  
Years ago

err...is it time to cut loose Tyndale?? The guy stinks.

Reply #211442 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Surprisingly, Tyndale seems to have a few fans that think that it's worth keeping him. He had another stinker today to add to the tally

Reply #211443 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Mark Tyndale must be either replaced or simply paid out and not replaced. Fact is we are a better more balanced team without him in the lineup.

VETERAN IMPORT WANTED ASAP

Reply #211446 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

We will get nowhere with Tyndale. The decision should have been made ages ago. Was it just me or did we look totally outclassed tonight? It was embarrassing in my eyes.

Reply #211447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Bruce is injured anymore, just his brain shortfusing with all those stupid passes.

Reply #211448 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

How much time did Luke & Adam spend together on the ciurt? Unless I messed up following the live-scores, it didn't look to be much at all.
It also seemed to me, that Aaron was played without much help from Brett or Brad.

Dirty word of the week - TURNOVERS : (

Not looking forward to Scottie's interview.

Reply #211450 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Another great game by 'The Glue Guy' hey Xztatik? Whenever you want to admit you were wrong we can move on.

Reply #211451 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

OK i have given Tyndale the benefit of the doubt but after tonight the move has to be made.

I would also like to see the sixers bringing in an experienced head in the ilk of Breheny or Palmer to consult with Scott.

For large patches tonight it looked like the guys had never met each other before let alone played together

There was a lot of unselfish passes that lead to botched shots. Problem was that the passes were being made because it was almost like a hot potato with no one realy looking to step up and be the focal point.

Do we have too many go to guys on offence? Is that creating a balance issue? Jake wants his, Brett will always be the man to shoot when on the floor, Ballinger and Scensch have shown that they deserve to see the ball alot.Aaron has shown potential to be a consistant scorer as well.

We have seven guys that could all go for 15 plus on any given night rather than looking to have 3 guys go for 20 and everyone else be happy everyone looks to be trying to get the next guy a shot.

Reply #211452 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Looking at Tinnie's stats, it didn't look like he wanted to shoot at all. 1 of 3 inside & 1 of 3 from the stripe. What worries me more, is that he only copped 1 foul, with zero steals & zero blocks. Doesn't read like he brought his usual hustle game.
Did Poxtel paint a better picture?

Reply #211454 | Report this post

Team player  
Years ago

Where are the Offensive sets. All I saw was undiscpline passing, no screens and no movement off the ball. Its like everyone stands and watches in offense. Ninnis needs to stamp on Bruce's passing NOW.
He is killing this team with his passing.

Reply #211455 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

FOX had it right, phil should still be there...bye bye Scott! and his entourage...

Reply #211456 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Couple quick points after coming back from the game.
Bruce stuck bringing the ball up the court often with a half court trap/2 defenders on him - no help not even a half assed screen. Tyndale was the 2 man often and had no clue in helping bring the ball up.

The first time Sixers looked to press, straight away Dragons sent someone to help/screen (Scotty did you not see this!)

Worth as predicted was all over Ballinger.

Burston had a night out at Lukes expense.

Brad Hill and Maher seemed the only two players to play with much passion.

Dragons had hands on everything, deflections everywhere and Luke really struggled to catch that thing in the post where he should really have dominated and had a 20 & 20 night.

Subs seemed to unrest the team more than help and it was really hard to see much team work going on between these guys.

Reply #211457 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Not a lot of good news from tonight DJ. Most of what you've mentioned is how it looked on the live scoreboard. I was wondering how much help Aaron got, & it sounds like it was stuff all. As you say, the subbing didn't do anything to help either.
Pretty disappointing going in with a full squad & no discipline.
Our offence sounded ugly too. Had a lengthy discussion last year with a 36 fan that was adament that defence wins games. Not without putting the ball through the hoop more often than your opponent it doesn't.
We've got a lot of work to do. Pity I'm barred from sitting in on the practice sessions this season.

Reply #211464 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Just a quickie DJ, do the 36ers look as if their playing without confidence? That's how it's coming across to me.

Reply #211465 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

For Adelaide it seems same shit different coach. I wonder what Ian Stacker is up to.

Reply #211471 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Confidence, hussle and sacrifice. These were the three areas that the Dragons outclassed the 6ers. There is no cohesion (perhaps due to the lack of court time together)and the sixers do, as Boti has pointed out, look very frigite (my words).

Burston worked schench over physically and then did the same to Ballinger. Coop wasn't strong enough either. The 6ers really missed a big strong guy in the middle to clear space for Schench and Balls to work the glass......Neil Mottram??????

This allowed the Dragons to slip base line or slash to the basket on many offense plays. Our big guys were too focussed on trying to contain Burston and to a lesser degree Wortho to help out our guards. When they did they were not in strong rebound position and often too far under the basket.

We need a reliable long bomber on the court. Tyndale is no threat from anywhere much beyond 10 foot from the basket. I wouldn't mind actually seeing him try to attempt a mid to long range shot but he always puts it on the floor like a college player drilled to run offense and not be creative. I suspect much of his college career involved scoring offensive put backs over mismatched guards which is why we had preseason perceptions he was bigger than he actually is.

I conclude that we have too many guards that play similar styles (sorry Mark Tyndale I think your time is up any you throw out team chemistry, its time to give Burdon your court time). With Tyndale's departure that opens a spot for a much needed big inside player to throw some muscle around (well back Motts).

Then again, perhaps I'm wrong.

Reply #211475 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No Big Ads,
you are not wrong.
I am a big fan of Motts. He is welcome back anytime. Hope to see him next year when Coops' contract expires.

Reply #211476 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Another great game by 'The Glue Guy' hey Xztatik? Whenever you want to admit you were wrong we can move on."

Ohh pwned!!! thanks for your input justin.

Terrible game from Tyndale tonight, limited oppurtunity, but his turnovers hurt badly.

He's been up and down all year, against the Blaze he'll probably play a blinder and justin will run away with his tail between his legs again. This was his worst game of the season no doubt, if he keeps playing like that, I'm all for finding a replacement. I have confidence that he won't though.

Also, very sick of people saying he should be cut without telling us who for. You don't know who's out there. Give us a name. An don't say "theres bound to be someone" because without knowing the other imports available, I dont think you are in a position to say they are better than Tyndale.

Reply #211477 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Its time for Tyndale to be replaced. I believe more than a big guy we need someone who can consistently penetrate with success for us. There extended pressure in a simple man caused us 29 turnovers. Bruce is ok, but he makes bad passes in traffic and doesnt have the height to finish himself. When Tyndale doesnt spill the dribble or travel he looks good penetrating and opens up the floor, he just cant dribble and is turnover prone. Maher aint quick enough, davidson can only pass in traffic and Winitana left his game in the pre season. That is what I believe will get Balls, Luke and shooters like Brett and Bruce easy looks, something we didnt get all night. Id love to throw out a name to replace Tyndale.............Julius Hodge!!!!!!!

Reply #211482 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

DDFAN - Big Ads hit it on the head "Confidence, hussle and sacrifice. These were the three areas that the Dragons outclassed the 6ers."

Not only is that an area the Goorjian teams thrive at the Sixers had NONE of this.

Reply #211488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we waited for a foxtel game that showed the sixers we had to get a game where they went MIA I have seen U12 boys make less turnovers.

Reply #211489 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

XztatiK, Tyndale had limited opportunity coz he spent the majority of the game sitting on his ass because of the way he was (or wasn't)playing! In a game with a ton of turnovers, he had 7 of them, and surely only putting up 3 shots for the match shows the confidence he has at the moment in his shot making ability. With Tyndale continuing to take up court time, the 6ers will continue to lose to the majority of the higher placed teams

Reply #211493 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

7 turnovers in under 20 minutes. Wow, Tyndale, way to go, that has to be a new record.

Not that anyone else on the team can point the finger much.

Reply #211496 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Xztatik, this is the 2nd time I've seen you mention that you want a replacement name for Tyndale. Tyndale's game stinks, what difference does it make if he is to be replaced. When was the last time the club consulted with you over who they should recruit. They need to do the scouting and come up with suitable replacements. Just because names are not mentioned, doesn't mean that there are no suitable replacements. God only knows, it wouldn't be hard to get someone better than Tyndale, the world is full of them. The local ABA competition is full of players better than Tyndale. If you desparately want names to justify your comments on Tyndale, you are a fool if you can't see by now that he is not the player Adelaide needs. If you are not a fool and now wish to admit that Tyndale has to go, perhaps you might offer some suitable names.

Reply #211498 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

What a disaster and after watching game have to eat my words over many years about the Goorg. If you saw the interview before the game the guy is so full of sh-- but his team was well drilled and very aggressive
breaking the rules at times getting away with it.
in comparision we didnt have any idea at all. With davo being sick only time we had system was in 1st while he was on and when Brett was able to take over for awhile. Brett you can get fit again Dont retire please. You can hope cant you. Well I have always been a fan of Brad Hill and dismayed at times by strong criticsm of him on this site. He was huge last night under the pressure and his much criticized defence was the best of a bad bunch. His on court nous may not be super but compared to the new Brett in Bruce and Tyndale he is a genius. keep having a go Brad. Ballinger goes missing too often for his abilty
and Jacob a fighter that does a job with due to restrictions Brad and Brett were also ok in what could do. THe Rest
Schenscher -- Bad has it but has to be much stronger and tough it out.
Bruce -- You cannot start this guy he has talent but not ready to be a leading point guard and Dragons knew it and those Brain explosions -- bloody hell
Winitiano -- Sorry but what a waste of a team member
Cant defend cant shoot cant drive . give a kid a go.
Tyndale - No I am not jumping on a bad wagon even when he scored well in 2 nd game I expressed my doubts . How many ways can you turn the ball over well he has shown us and no idea how to defend a player. He has no shot and even when open has to put the ball on the ground . Please cut him now even if dont replace him with another import. Get some system
as he certainly doesnt add anything. Other teams have centre that can shoot 3s we have a import that cant even notch a open shot.
Scotty and team -- Long long way to go. If we didnt go for a experienced coach we should have at the least gone for a experienced ass. coach .
Get Brad and Brett fit and lots of work and discipline will see us move on

Reply #211499 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We have seven guys that could all go for 15 plus on any given night rather than looking to have 3 guys go for 20...
Not sure that's too different to the Dragons (really only Worthington is scoring 18-20 PPG while the rest are sitting at more like 13-14 PPG.

Surprised that, after the great start against the Spirit and Bruce's game last week, Davidson didn't start last night.

Boti notes a dubious distinction:
The turnover tally was the most by any Sixers team in more than 20 years and ranked fifth all-time behind 31 against Coburg in 1985, 30s against Brisbane and Perth in 1986 and '87 respectively, and 29 at Wollongong in 1985.

Reply #211505 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

PS....Help!!!!!

Reply #211506 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Xztaik, are you Ninnis in disguise? Are you that worried you cant find a replacement you literally want fans on the forum to give them to you? Would you like address' and contact details too?? Fact is cut him, i dont even care if he isnt replaced, he is a liability and cant be good for the morale of the players around him, when he goes off on his horrendous dribble tangents!

C'mon Ninny get somwe balls on this one mate.

Reply #211509 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

OK, well that was totally unacceptable. 28 turnover FFS! And I believe only about half a dozen of those were caused by the Dragons defence, the rest were a combination of brain explosions (Bruce), too much jive (Tyndale), and carelessness (Winitana). I don't think we had a single winner on the court. Hill busted his ass, Schenscher fought hard despite limited opportunities on offence, and Maher showed that despite the fact that his body is finished that he can still make a jumpshot if given the slightest bit of room.

Tyndale must go. Watching Winitana, I can't help but wish it was Sunday every day. Bruce, well maybe you have to take the inconsistency with a kid. Ballinger did well not to physically assault Kersten et al, as he was smashed on a number of plays around the basket yet shot a grand total of one free throw.

I was impressed by how well schooled the Dragons appeared, and how unselfish they were playing (absent maybe Cortez). On paper I really don't think their roster is better than ours, but Goorjian has them firing on all thrusters.

Off to the Gold Coast, and I don't like our chances.

Reply #211510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, the problem with that is that the issues reported from this game (hustle, sacrifice, etc and especially on the road) were the same experienced under the previous coach.

Reply #211511 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

So how come it's still happening?

Reply #211517 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Very, very disapointing effort. No hustle, sloppy ball handling, looked totally inept trying to break the press.

Scottie needs to call more timeouts for sure, and I hate to say it, but Tyndale does not seem to be the right fit. We need a defensive, slashing 3 man IMO.

Reply #211518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone here Scotty's talk to the team during a last quarter time out. Was vague - lacked direction. Basically run hard and try to get it back to 15 by the 4 minute mark and then we will have a crack at them after that.

Great - how about being more controlling as to how we were going to get it back to 15. Compare it to Goorj's time outs - very intense very very specific even though at times im not sure what language he speaks.

We need to improve in all areas - playing and coaching!

Reply #211526 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I don't think the issue is balls, when it comes to replacing Tyndale.

I suspect that it has something to do with the money situation, ESPECIALLY if ownership is currently undergoing changes.

Unfortunately, I THINK you're probably stuck with him at least short term.

Reply #211527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For your information THE GOONS won. Nice to see you give the acolaide to the Team and Coach.

36ers need to grow balls, Scotty is trying to change bad habits from years of poor coaching and the skills need to improve, The players should be disgusted except for Jacob Brett and Brad.

A dragons fan

Reply #211533 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

Dana you are unbelievable it wasnt good but at the least we will know they will work hard to get it right not like previous.
Dicko of course you are right not replacing tyndale was same as getting him - MONEY. Thats life we want to remain as club so we do what Syd & Hawks do. Do the best with finances you have.
But you wont get any system right by using Tyndale as he has no team play and cant keep hold of the ball .
Take him out of the equation and use Bruce sparingly until he gets it right and feed the strengths we have .
Bretts not right at the moment but dont right him off yet. Isaac re Davo not starting which I also was amazed at. I thought on fox they said him and Cooper had sickness problems before game.
I agree with anon also that Scottys address lacked direction and I am sure that Dragons had no idea what Goorg was talking about as well

Reply #211540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winitana - 20:37
Hill - 31:08

Hhmmmmmm........?

Reply #211541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, hard to say, but given the problems I am sure that said PS is not the answer.

Either Ninnis has underestimated what it takes to get the team playing like that consistently, or he's unintentionally picked the same style of players as before (whereas Goorjian has gone for Gibson, Darden, Ingles, Worthington, Vukona who all bring defense as part of their core game - Adelaide has perhaps Holmes, Davidson and Winitana that you'd highlight as being similar?).

I'm not sure that you can look for common elements to the teams over the years because that gives you all of Maher, Ballinger and Cooper (and the general problems probably preceded Ballinger?) or admin (irrelevant in this regard once the roster's picked really).

And I don't think picking defensively-minded players is quite the only answer either. NZ are doing well and though Ronaldson and Boucher are often highly rated for their defense, not many would talk up Rickert, Forman, Jones and Penney for theirs?

I wonder how much hustle in this case comes from confidence and how much of that comes from good direction on the floor. Perhaps Bruce is just a bit new and young at this stage to consistently carry a team in this standard of league? With injuries to both measured and veteran PGs, he's been thrust into a pretty major role.

I've only managed to see two games live this season and the one we won had Davidson making a key contribution. And the good run in the third against Perth involved Bruce doing very well and the team firing up as a result.

Trouble at the point is trouble for the team. The Tigers are underperforming for that reason and NZ lost to Adelaide when Bruton was out.

Imagine if we had gone for a pricier SG/SF import, not been able to get Bruce in, and then lost Maher and Davidson to on-off injuries. With Kersten out too, we'd have been absolutely screwed.

Reply #211543 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Everyone needs to relax. There is no point everyone attacking Xztaik! I have disagreed with him from the start about Tyndale but everyone has a right to their own opinion.

As someone mentioned 7 turnovers by Tyndale in 20 minutes has got to be close to a NBL record. I thought his defence was just as bad in those 20 minutes! On about 5 occasions he made unprofessional mistakes, either leaving someone open for a 3, not stopping the penetration or forgot how to play split line defence. He has no offensive game and the Dragons exploited that last night. He can't beat his man off the dribble so he can drive, he can't shoot and he has never posted up in 11 games so he obviously can't do that either. Also he continued with his special trade mark 2 missed free throws in a row. That has got to be an NBL record as well!

Another person mentioned the team would be better with no import then him on the court. I agree with that! As he takes away from other peoples minutes such as Hill and Winitana. Also I hate watching his weak defence. Having said that we do need another import and we need a defensive, slashing 3 man as someone else said.

There is a problem with this team that is right in our faces and is obvious as anything yet has only been indirectly mentioned. During almost every part of the game we have at least one player on that is not a threat on offence! The main culprits are Tydnale, Cooper and Winitana. You can also at times add to that Bruce and Jacob (reasons why I included him later). The problem here is in the NBL you CAN NOT have only 4 offensive threats on the court. This might work for 10 minutes but not 48 minutes!! All 5 must be scoring threats. Name me one player in the Dragons team or even Cairns (the worst offensive team in the league) that is not a threat on offence?

There is two things the Sixers can do to significantly improve which relates to the above point.

1. Cut Tyndale and get another import that is an offensive threat and can play defence.

2. Cut Cooper and replace him with Greg Vanderjagt! It would be a straight swap as well as they are both similar on Points. Lets face it Cooper will probably be let go at the end of the season anyway. Greg could back up Schencher and would provide instant scoring, defence and is a good passer of the ball.

Those two changes would make a HUGE difference! However as DICKO said we are probably stuck with Tyndale due to money constraints. However, I think it is an investment. Lets say a new import would cost 100k and Greg at 30k for half a season (Plus a good opportunity to be in the team next year). We then start winning games and get an extra 1000 people (as aposed to a decline which we will get if we keep losing) to the game at $15 each. That means we will get $150,000 from those 10 home games. As well as a realistic chance of making the playoffs which will bring even more income! It's worth considering!

Even that there were so many negatives in the game last night as everyone's pointed out, I see positives from it also. Due to the following:

* At half time we had 18 turnovers and were only down by 6!
* Our defence was horribly lazy
* Brad Hill is emerging as a play (Even that he had a few bad turnovers)

They ended up scoring 20 points from our turnovers. So if you eliminate most of those turnovers, not allow open 3's or lazy defence then the Sixers had a very good chance of beating them on their home court.

My last point is Jacob seems to be going through the motions in the game. He has the ability to be a 20 point, 10 rebound player but he just needs to take the initiative and not be so complacent. He played the first 10 minutes of the game for 3 points, 1 assist. He ends up only shooting 10 shots 4 of them when the game is over in the last quarter. That means he only had 2 shots on average for the first 3 quarters. That is same with the Cairns game he played the whole quarter and didn't offer that much. Same can be said about Ballinger however he usually at least has a break out quarter. I know everyone is a big fan of Jacob however I just think his coasting and is alot more better then he is currently playing at.

Reply #211551 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

In no particular order:

With DICKO, don't expect Tinnie to get paid out any time soon.

Someone bagged Balls for an inconsistent game? WTF. Let me guess (no Poxtel), he was man handled, scragged & hammered (Wortho?)until someone coughed up another turnover. Tough call wanting Adam to score without the ball, & rebound with an arm around his waist.

Wasn't Burston a benchie for the Wildcats, yet kept Luke out of the game?

Someone called Scottie on the lack of timeouts? The ones he did call, immediately brought more turnovers.

Bag Phil all you want, but he didn't have players shit scared to have a go.

Bag Phil all you want, but did we play this badly with a full squad?

Bag Phil all you want, but .......

Bag Mr Hemmerling all you want, but we still don't have a new import (new owners, Eddie's gone & all's well?).

Hey Potsie, still blowing up those promotion balls with a compressor?

Hey Isaac, how come you changed the code on the "Valdermort" filter?

Let's see how long this post lasts. By my clock, it's 11:50 Thursday 13th Nov '08.

Reply #211552 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Anonymous #211533

"Scotty is trying to change bad habits from years of poor coaching and the skills need to improve.

A dragons fan"

Mate, we've only got 4 (well 5 if you count Eze, who didn't play) carry-over players from last season. They consist of Brett Maher, Adam Ballinger, Brad Davidson & Dave Cooper. Do you seriously believe those 4 (1 plays limited minutes anyway), are the downfall of the 36ers this season (& on Phil)?

Reply #211554 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DDFan why bother posting if you are only going to talk garbage? You obviously have no knowledge on the game so people should just not even bother reading your rants.

Reply #211555 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

KingJames, please point out what precisely is the rubbish that I've posted. Be the man.

Reply #211559 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Wasn't Burston a benchie for the Wildcats, yet kept Luke out of the game?

Someone called Scottie on the lack of timeouts? The ones he did call, immediately brought more turnovers.

Bag Phil all you want, but he didn't have players shit scared to have a go.

Bag Phil all you want, but did we play this badly with a full squad?

Let's see how long this post lasts. By my clock, it's 11:50 Thursday 13th Nov '08."

if you knew it was a useless post why bother posting it!

Reply #211560 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Didn't see the game, but if it is correct that Ballinger had an inconsistent night, he is probably due. He may not be the best, but he would have to be the most consistent performers night-in night-out in the league over the last several years.

Reply #211575 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

KingJames, it's a controversial post, that's why I was curios as to how long it would stay.

BTW, you're a real stud on OzHoops, & I called you out on un-necessary Phil-bashing. What thread was that again? Looser. ; )

Reply #211578 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Agree XY. Adam has every right to be proud of his game. On court, off court, practice sessions, whatever, he gives it everything he has.
Anyone who beats up on Adam, has no clue.
Fans outside of Adelaide were prepared to give the 36ers some love with Adam in our team (they were shitty we snatched him, but Phil wanted him). Let that sink in. ; )

Reply #211582 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

DD....not controversial.....pointless.

In a thread about last night's game you don't need to mention :-

a) Issac's filtering
b) The ex-coach
c) Potsie
d) Potsie's promotional balls
e) The clubs ownership

If you have something constructive to say about last nights game, go nuts. Unless, as I have often suspected, you've already achieved that.

Reply #211583 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Did you hear Andrew Gaze talking about his father working with Goorj at the moment , teaching him his offensive plays? Maybe we could use him here.

Reply #211586 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Not sure what you are talking about DDFan. However, perhaps if you are going to try to pay someone out at least learn to spell loser correctly instead of making a clown of your self as you always seem to do.

Reply #211588 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I did hear that raytri, and guess who else had a coaching style like Gazes?

Reply #211590 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hey Isaac, how come you changed the code on the "Valdermort" filter?
It was no longer a contentious/common/frequent topic of discussion. This happened months and months ago, by the way.

Reply #211592 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I thought Gaze senior was in China working with a team there?!?!?! That's the last thing I saw anyway.

Reply #211599 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

DDFan you are an idiot with out a clue in the world cant you find something else to do with your time instead of filling the forum with non sensical rubbish.

Reply #211600 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DDFan:
"Hey Isaac, how come you changed the code on the "Valdermort" filter?"

Isaac:
"It was no longer a contentious/common/frequent topic of discussion. This happened months and months ago, by the way."

You & I know that, but go on, tell the rest on here how it came about. ; )

Reply #211602 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DICKO:
"DD....not controversial.....pointless.

In a thread about last night's game you don't need to mention :-

a) Issac's filtering
b) The ex-coach
c) Potsie
d) Potsie's promotional balls
e) The clubs ownership"

You missed KingJame's bad-mouthing on OzHoops?
My bad.

What goes around comes around.

Reply #211605 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Bad Mouthing? I said Brendon Joyce is the worst coach in the league now that Smyth isn't in the league. With a 1-11 record that is pretty factual. So not sure what you are on about as usual.

Reply #211615 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What goes around comes around.
If that's true, what have I done to deserve you bringing your trolling and tripe to my site?

Stick to the topics. If you have issues with the Smyth-filter of months back, go and take them up with the club. The on-going mentions of no longer being a volunteer, if I was still a volunteer, when I used to be a volunteer, etc just get so boring and obsessive. It's creepy.

If you want to discuss the topics, stick around. If you're here just to bait people and stir up trouble for your own amusement, leave. The Jekyll and Hyde routine is, like it has been before, ridiculous.

Reply #211618 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Xztaik, are you Ninnis in disguise?" -Samba

mmmmmHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! That one hasn't been done before! (see 'justin' last week)

"God only knows, it wouldn't be hard to get someone better than Tyndale, the world is full of them. The local ABA competition is full of players better than Tyndale."

I guess that's just where we disagree then - I rate Tyndale a lot higher than you do.

Saying we would be a better team without him is getting a bit ridiculous. Fair enough to say you would prefer a replacement, but just losing his 14/7/4 + defence would hurt us. We definitely could have done without him last night though.

Reply #211626 | Report this post

*joke no one can understand* ;)

Back before I got banned from training sessions I would've told that one there. ;)

If you need to talk, you know where to find me, row DD at the games ;)

Can anyone pick me up tomorrow morning? Come on its hot! Give a hand to old DD. ;)

Wonder how long this post will last... :):);)

Reply #211629 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

OK Isaac, it seems to be stuck in your throat, so I'll spit it out for you, "on your" forum.
I recall politely asking both you & admin, to withdraw the filter.

Forgotten that? ; )

Reply #211650 | Report this post

Oldschool  
Years ago

re: Game Night against the " 'Goons " (#211327 | Grrr!)

Good Report Jack Toft!

Davidson and Maher will make a big difference. If those two can have a good game then we will probably win the game.

However, I don't think we will win. Both the Dragons defense and offense is great due to Goorgian.

I think the match ups also favour them.

Schensher is better then Burston (Harvath isn't playing as far as im aware)
Worthington is better then Ballinger (however this is debatable)
Holmes is better then Darden (However Darden I am expecting to be very athletic and might cause us problems)
Inges is better then Tydnale (With Maher and Davidson back i'm expecting to see another bad performance by Tyndale hopefully he proves me wrong)
Gibson is better then Bruce

We have a better bench so hopefully they step up. Hopefully Winatana can come out of his shell and give us a much needed scoring boost.

Tab have the Line at 10.5 while center bet has it at 9.5. I think we will lose by 8-12 but it will be competitive most of the game However I wouldn't be brave enough to bet.

Good luck Worthington trying to shoot over Luke inside!

To this muppet who sat there and thought about this through his brain....must be a small one

2 points in which i want to make

1. We have a better bench so hopefully they step up. Hopefully Winatana can come out of his shell and give us a much needed scoring boost.

What a load of crap...Your bench is terrible...You may want to do some research and see Dragons are strongest bench by a country mile, Wintana only scored in junk time....otherwise useless

2. Schensher is better then Burston (Harvath isn't playing as far as im aware)

Clearly showed tonight....Luke is too much of a sook and needs to get some nuts. Burston took him to Town and rode him all the way home....

Bruce IMO only has the potential of being a Decent NBL player for all those who think he is NBA...lmao go home and keep telling yourself that...Steve Nash with better %.....my ass the guy cant break through a press

Reply #211652 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be honest, and I'm sure you'll disagree, it was done independently of your request and at a later date.

It's like a fan saying they think the 36ers should replace Tyndale and then trying to big-note themselves as making it happen any time after that. "Mal, you seem to be struggling to acknowledge something about the import. Remember, it was me!"

Reply #211655 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Man! Apart from DICKO, South fans are real pricks arent they!?!

Years of Heal then Goorjian will do that to ya I guess.

Reply #211658 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great work Oldschool, displaying all what I wrote and then all you can do is find two minor points to have a go at me with and then being incorrect on both of them.

1. Sixers bench out scored Dragons bench 32 to 24.

2. Schenscher IS better then Burston. Burston has a good game and a clown like you then feels he is better then Schenscher. That is funny!

Reply #211663 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Last few weeks, KingJames, I'd take Burston over many. The guy is in career best form and playing with huge intensity.

Reply #211668 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Exactly KingJames, lol I was wondering why he quoted the entire thing.

Burston: 10 & 7 + 1blk

Schenscher: 17 & 10 + 2blk

I like Burston but let's not get stupid.

Reply #211672 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Burston is certainly showing more consistency, whilst Luke is up and down. But he's a Noob, so it's expected.

It obviously depends on what your team needs are, but I'm very happy with Matty.

Reply #211674 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DICKO, there is no doubt Burston is a good player and probably has under achieved in his career due to Injury. I have seen him dominate in the NBL only to get set back again by injury. I remember him winning the MVP of the State under 20's which had players such as Oscar Foreman, Liam Rush, Graeme Dann and Ian Crosswhite. He is very good fundamentally and I'm sure most teams in the league would want him. Probably a 15-20ppg, 10rpg player when healthy and playing 35+ minutes.

Reply #211688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyndale cant play without the ball, fullstop, and is no chance in the half court.

One significant reason Aaron is turning the ball over is that the workrate of his team mates to get open is non existent.

The teams offences are poorly thought out and lack discipline, when the first entry pass is recieved 4 to 5 metres above the 3 point line what hope have you got of getting the ball where you want it, and as for a press breaker and mixing up the D , non existent

Jake needs to get his sh*t together , hes a passenger currently, this kid was the best in the country as an U18/U20, the reality is he is playing in the 3 spot which is what he has wanted to do and is not making the most of it.

Balls not fit cant train and the club new that when they signed him , doesnt get the ball where he needs it anyway

Winatana, cant play

Cooper, cant score

Luke will be ok in time

The coaching staff need to go back to basics their body language last night as a group was terrible, have they agreed on their respective roles? I think not. Their scouting is not good and what they are trying to implement offensively is way above the skill level of the players ( this is under 14 stuff. Until they sort out some issues re basic work rate they are wasting their time drawing x & o's

Bottom line is the buck stop with the coaches, they have the roar atlent to be at least competitive

Reply #211731 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

if everyone is wondering why Lukes numbers have been slightly down, notice how teams are playing him differently after that monster perth game a few weeks ago. Luke needs his teammates to step up and hit some shots to stop the double and triple teaming he is seeing everytime he toughes the ball.

Reply #211753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754