Bake
Years ago

Dear Doctor Mal

I have never been one to overly criticise the team, the coach and have always defended the players.
Unfortunately the loyalty built up in the past 23 seasons is fast being eroded by the current crop of players. While the coaching panel is at best inept.

I gave serious consideration to not renewing my season tickets when Scott Ninnis was appointed as senior coach. The publicity and hype surrounding the recruitment of new players, the retention of the cream of last years team and the promise of a return to the glory days saw me part with another $1000. In retrospect not a good decision.

My fears about the coaching panel have been realised. Injuries to key players has had an impact on our results, but in the overall scheme of things, cannot be paraded out as the main reason for the losses and the manner in which these losses have been made. Scott Ninnis stated that defence was to be the key to the teams future success. This has been sparodic at best, while an effective offence has been sadly lacking. The offensive and defensive set up of the team is the responsibity of the coaching panel. No team should take 12 games to "gel", this is also the responsibility of the coachig panel. An almost complete failure to this point in time.

Now the players;

POSITIVE

Adam Ballinger - our best player when fit
Luke Schenscher - a serious contributor in each game. Not given any assistance by the officials. Too easily muscled away from the ring earlier in the season but gradually getting better.
Jacob Holmes - came back into the side a better player. Now a regular scorer and more reliable shooter from anywhere on the court.

NEUTRAL

Brad Davidson - limited impact due to injury. Provides structure and control when on court.
Brett Maher - limited impact due to injury. Still an offensive threat.
Aaron Bruce - potential to be a very good player. Needs guidance and a firm hand and told to forget the fancy stuff and return to basics.

INEFFECTIVE

Brad Hill - good in the open court but subject to severe brainfaids
David Cooper - good for a couple of blocked shots but no offensive production
Erik Burdon - good shooter given limited court time, looks like a rabbit in a spotlight when given the ball carrying duties.
Ryan Kersten - who
Peter Hoban - ditto

NEGATIVE

Mark Tyndale - should have been sent packing when "Pacific Shrink" became obvious. Possibly a good player in the future but not what we need now.
Paora Winitana - an invisible man for the Brakers, currently replicating this role with the 36ers. Good in the preseason when the pressure was off.

Issues need to be addressed sooner rather than later or this season will be a bigger write off than last year. The rookie coach card cannot come into play. Our previous rookie coach gave us two flags in his first two years when allowed to assemble his own side. The present coach is not providing any comparison.

Brendan Joyce seems to be the only person keeping us off the bottom.

Topic #18029 | Report this topic

DDFan  
Years ago

Note from Isaac:

That was not DDFan, posting as Bake.

Reply #211585 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm sure Bake is going to cop a bit here from others who might disagree (Smyth discussions from last year flipped around?!), but I think the player assessments aren't too far off the mark at least.

I've wondered if Ninnis might've taken the "recruit locals" mantra a touch too far in getting Kersten and Hill. But Kersten or any alternative has no minutes anyway. And Hill hasn't been awful - from what I've seen, he's been making the effort and generally getting career best numbers in 18 MPG.

Swap Tyndale out for someone else, sort out the PG mix between Bruce and Davidson, and reevaluate IMO. That'd be a start.

Edit: DDFan, no shit. I know who Bake is.

Reply #211589 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Big Kahoona:

"Edit: DDFan, no shit. I know who Bake is."

It was a just a prod Isaac. ; )

BTW, been in PM contact with Matt lately (softy-boy)? : P

Reply #211598 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hound? Not this week.

Reply #211607 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

What 'pacific shrink' with Tyndale? He was measured at draft camp long before we signed him, and he was only 6'3.

So unless we weren't thorough with our research, he was brought over as a 6'3 wing.

Reply #211608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the idea was that he'd be that guy who scraps for the ball, does a bit of everything, and he's shown that he can do that (pre-season vs Hawks and in most games this year). Meanwhile, I'm sure the plan was that we'd get our primary scoring contributions from Ballinger, Schenscher, Maher, Holmes, Bruce, Davidson, Hill, etc.

Might not be quite the lock-down defender they expected and, with Maher and Davidson missing games, the need for more of a scorer has become an issue.

Reply #211609 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isaac:
"Hound? Not this week."

Did I say "this" week?
FFS, I spoke to him on Sunday, at our last home game.

Thlippery little thucker, aren't yah? ; )

Reply #211612 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I think the points are reasonable and to a degree are stating the obvious. What we need is a way to fix the problems. I personally think the main problem is that we have a bunch of guys who, with the exception of a couple, aren't genuinely tough defenders (i.e it isn't natural for them).

I think that there is only two ways to fix this:
1. Get players who are
2. Change the players we have by drilling it into them.

Why do BG's teams always play good defence? See option 2. I don't know what Ninnis' trainings are like but I'm sure he gets the whip out when necessary but maybe they need even more relentless BG style disciplined sessions. Defensive intensity isn't something you can relax on - ever. I think the players we have are capable of it - they just need it to become habit.

On the other hand I would also wonder how the Dragons might have gone this year if they had Worthington in and out with a back injury, Gibson with a dodgy knee, Ingles with a calf strain and Carter/Herbert with and abdominal strain.

I think it is a bit early to tell yet but I would hope to see some more consistency in defensive intensity soon.

Reply #211614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DD, I know you spoke with Hound at the last game - one or both of you mentioned it on OzHoops, likely in a 36ers thread. Knowing that I read that, you'd know that I was aware of you having spoken to him and how you'd know he and I traded PMs. Which is why I said that I hadn't spoken to him this week.

What's the relevance? That you're doing some sort of amateur detective course? That you've excitedly uncovered evidence of me (shock) chatting with another 36ers fan?

Reply #211620 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"No team should take 12 games to "gel"

Wasn't this someone else's excuse for a large chunk of last season.

Anyways.....I don't actually disagree with you Bake. I think some of your points are valid. But the 6ers are currently....

9th for steals (pretty ordinary, but their backcourt has suffered more than most with injury)

2nd in Rebounding

1st in Defensive Rebounding

3rd in Blocks

And the lowest in Fouls against.

They must be doing SOMETHING OK.

They need to have a better import than Tyndale and get
Davidson and Maher back fit and running. After that, I don't think they're as bad as people think.

Certainly the frontcourt of Schensch, Jake and Balls are doing their bit based on the above.

Reply #211624 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Yeah but the Breakers are last and second last for the rebounding categories - so does that mean they are doing SOMETHING WRONG?

Reply #211627 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ddfan, why do you persist on baiting others on here?

Most comments that you make are ignored, why do you keep trying to create/receive an argument from people, including the guy who runs the site?

Take a hint...

Reply #211633 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Get it right.
"DD does like me, what's with that?"

Reply #211635 | Report this post

big kahuna  
Years ago

Watch out Issac it looks like DDFan maybe a stalker. ha ha

Reply #211636 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

No it means they have AWESOME shooters. They are a scoring team.

CJ, Oscar, Penney, Jones, Ronaldson & Rickert can all fill it up.

Bakes point was lamenting the 6ers Defence.

Reply #211638 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

DB5, ignore my posts by all means, but FFS, grab some credibility & don't reply.

Reply #211640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Breakers are 7 ORPG behind the leading team, but hitting at the highest percentages in all three shooting categories. That would contribute to their low numbers on the boards.

Adelaide are not terrible in any statistical category shown on the NBL site - would need to see the numbers for and against each team I think.

Reply #211648 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Yeah....that's what I was actually looking for when I found the numbers above.

Reply #211653 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I know this is off topic (and probably a quiet email to Isaac would suffice) but I think I have contributed enough over the past 2 years to have a quick say before I slink off again.

I also know I don't post a whole lot anymore - just stupid jokes to try and win Isaac's affections so I can get little balls but I still read this forum everyday and I, like most regulars here, read almost every thread.

When DDFan was not here it was nice and peaceful (saving the annoying playa period). There are a few posters on here who I seriously don't enjoy reading what they have to say so for the most part I skip over their stuff cos I am sure they have valid opinions.

I am however, starting to get a little annoyed with the endless DDFan blather and his undecipherable streams of consciousness posted on this forum on every and all topics.

I have tried to skip over his stuff but he posts rebuttals to everything so it is very difficult for one to just skip over his posts.

Isaac does a great job being a "troll whisperer" with his nonsensical ramblings - I just wanted to put my opinion forward that it is starting to get on my nerves. If I am way off the mark and the rest of you enjoy his "everyone must know my opinion on everything" posts then I'm sorry I have wasted your time - he has just quietly riled me up over the last 2 weeks and I need to vent.

Reply #211660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SVD, you are not the only regular who would like to see DD tone it down, go away, or be banned (have had emails and IMs). As before, much more on that side of the scales and I will consider it.

DD's participation, more often than not, is like continually going to a party and being annoying or abusive even though most people don't want you there. Then not taking the hint about adjusting behaviour, leaving and/or not coming back.

Reply #211670 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I am with you SVD (hopefully I am not one that annoys you lol..)

It has become extremely hard to just skip over them, when he answers himself, or has to quote every god damn comment made..

Reply #211675 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Haha - no you are alright DB5

Reply #211678 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

"Edit: DDFan, no shit. I know who Bake is."

Do you Isaac? From where?

Dicko

"9th for steals (pretty ordinary, but their backcourt has suffered more than most with injury)
2nd in Rebounding
1st in Defensive Rebounding
3rd in Blocks
And the lowest in Fouls against.
They must be doing SOMETHING OK."

Statistics bloody statistics. Can be manipulated anyway you want. The statistic that counts the most is that we have been behind at the end of twice as many games as we have been in front and we are second to bottom.

"Bakes point was lamenting the 6ers Defence."

I was also lamenting the lack of a structured offence.

I will own up, I am an unashamed supporter of Phil Smythe as I was of Ken Cole and quite a few other of our coaches. It galls me that there are many on this site that don't seem to offer the same critical review of Scott Ninnis' performance that they offered last year to Phil. They continually criticised his lack of animation or emotion but I reckon, without having access or desire to search for the statistics, he incurred more technical fouls than Scott.

Reply #211692 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

+1 for no more DDFan.

I enjoyed the months of his ban almost as much as I hated the ban on mentioning Smyth's name.

Reply #211701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bake, meant as more in terms of distinct online identities. Though I think I know who you are at games too - email me if you want me to guess off-forum and see if I'm right.

On Ninnis, I think what you're seeing is many people withholding full criticism so early in his tenure. I don't really remember the Smyth criticism building until after a few years of the same* signs (average road performance, not overly tough, etc).

* Same in terms of recurrent, though interestingly, also same in terms of what we're seeing this year for whatever reason(s).

Reply #211760 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Geez Bake.......Smyth started at the top with a great roster and a hell of a lot more financial freedom than Ninnis is forced to work with and Smyth slowly deteriorated (IMHO).

Ninnis has likely had ownership issues over his head since day one and the financial challenges that go with it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this is a smaller league now.....the talent has all been compressed into less teams.Where being an OK team last year left you mid-table, being an OK team this year will leave you struggling to get off the bottom of the ladder.

Your view is valid.....but the reason, again IMHO, that there's a difference, is that Ninnis has coached 11 games. Surely you have to give someone more opportuity than that before you start going after his head? The 6ers KNEW they were hiring a rookie coach and rebuilding.....surely you knew that too?

Most of this roster is new.....it HAS to be given time.

Reply #211769 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Isaac - Where do you reckon I sit? Don't mind being identified publicly.

Dicko - I had doubts about Scott's inability to coach at this level from the time of his appointment. My opinion was formed after following the 36ers since 1985 and the local league for a longer period. I understand that you have a reasonably close friendship with Scott and I think this may colour your judgement. As to your assertion that Phil walked into a great roster and had less financial constraints than at present, I think it has a basic flaw. The 1998 team assembled by Phil & Steve was great but it was not expected to win. It was touted to be a middle level qualifier at best. While more money was spent in assembling that team, it was not the highest spending nor the most talent packed team in the league in that year. The similarities, pre-season, between the team of 1998 & 2008 are remarkable really. The major difference was in the appointment of tthe coaching panel. In 1998 we had a rookie coach ably assisted by an experienced coach, while in 2008 we have a grossly inexperienced coaching panel at NBL level. Unfortunately this has been reflected in the team's performance.

This team was assembled by Mal Hemmerling in close association with Scott Ninnis, therefore they need to share any blame for its performance. I am all for giving someone a fair go, but a fair go doesn't mean a free go.

I will continue to support the Scott and the team by attending and yelling myself hoarse at every home game, any vitriol will be aimed at the referees not the players or coaching panel, which is my want.

Reply #211789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just realised I may be getting you confused with Ashman who used to post a long while back. The guy I had in mind is big, glasses, short hair. Last time I saw them at the Dome, was on the diagonal near the 36ers' players' race - might've been a pre-season game or Boomers-Iran.

Had also assumed you were the son of someone I've talked to in the past, but might be wrong there as well!

Reply #211804 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

No I'm a bald bloke, in my sixties, sit on the northern side about half court, missed 5 home games since 1985.

Reply #211813 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Bake, you're my kinda fan. Love to catch up some time. : )

Isaac, not like you to screw up on an assumption, what's happen'n there mate? ; )

Reply #211852 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sherlock, same surname (I suspect), different fan.

Reply #211861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754