LC
Years ago

Should the NBL go back to Winter?

Mildly interesting article on Herald-Sun website that traces the fall of the NBL back to when it switched over to Summer - 10 years ago. Since then the league has had difficulty in attracting a high number of quality imports that puts bums on seats.

Link: http://linky.com.au/61ih2

IMO it cannot be entirely placed on the fact it switched to summer, but it does pose some interesting questions.

Topic #18042 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you've misrepresented the piece a little as the summer-winter mention is pretty brief and at the tail of the article.

On that topic, in my opinion, and as they say in some fields, 'correlation does not imply causation'. Same goes with Goorjian and teams going out of business, for what it's worth.

On imports, here's Bernard's line:

NBL imports should improve the NBL and the teams. Cal Bruton, James Crawford, Ricky Grace, Lanard Copeland, Darryl McDonald, Rob Rose, Al Green, Scott Fisher and Leroy Loggins got people to games.

Now we've got Mark Tyndale, Dusty Rychart, David Gruber, Isiah Victor and Rick Rickert. Say no more.
That's an awful way to make an argument. For every one of those past imports, there was a terrible, short term failure in another team, I'd bet. It's almost like saying Melbourne are better because they have Anstey while we have Burdon!

In the second group, it's rough including Rickert and Rychart as both are favoured by their team's fans. And at least two of the other three are players we probably won't see again in this league - we had the same in years past.

Why list Tyndale and Gruber when you could list Ballinger, Williams, Ere, Grizzard, Groves, Redhage (pre-naturalisation), Thomas, Abney, etc? To develop some fanciful argument.

It's not all about imports or season timing. The games are still, for the most part, really entertaining. It's more about the timing of games during the week, this lame-league loser-sport culture and a lack of positive unified marketing to correct that.

Reply #211779 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Will they go to more games thru the week, less on Sat.
Fox to show games most nites ?

Reply #211788 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"For every one of those past imports, there was a terrible, short term failure in another team, I'd bet."

Another team? There were plenty in the same team. Magic signed Milt Newton before they cut him and got Rob Rose.

Reply #211791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winter would be way, way, way better.

Reply #211794 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Hell i didnt even realise we had an NBL anymore, summer or winter. :)

Reply #211796 | Report this post

Herka  
Years ago

i enjoy the mid week games ! in perth they start at 7:00pm so there is plenty of time to get to the game and the crowd seems to enjoy getting a taste for it during the week as it also frees up the weekend !!

Reply #211798 | Report this post

Jambo  
Years ago

The NBL has nothing to compete with in summer and its still a non-event. Try putting it back to winter where it has to go up against the various Aussie Rules leagues and then watch it truly die.

Reply #211853 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Teams were pulling larger crowds back when the comp was held in Winter over Summer.

Reply #211878 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

My footy and rugby viewing committments would overwrite the winter season of basketball.

Basketball gives me something new and different for the summer.

Reply #211880 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

But surely you'd still find time to watch Sammy Woosnam if the WNBL went to winter as well Champ33 ??

Reply #211891 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And it'd be a great excuse to hide from your mother in law...

Reply #211894 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC,

Average crowds were better in winter in summer but, what everyone likes to forget, including Grantley it appears, is that winter crowds, tv and sponsorship were in serious decline, which is why the nbl went to summer. At the time, the league were actually being quite pro-active. Too few people saw the extensive (and expensive) research the nbl did at the time.

The question is not whether crowds are better now than then, its whether they would have continue to be better if the league has stayed in winter and.....i doubt it.

Reply #211979 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I doubt it working full-time these days.

Reply #211984 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

10 years back the AFL had (I believe) a 50 million dollar TV deal, today the AFL have a 500+ million dollar deal, so to go back to a winter season would be suicidal for the NBL in terms of competing for marketing and sponsorship dollars.

Reply #211989 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

here's my take from back home...definitely should go back to winter, nobody wants to stay in a hot gym in summer! and that's why NBA's in winter time especially everybody wants go outdoor in summer.

but then, as we all know this is a small issue the major issue is still the committment of the management of the league. they'll still fail regardless winter or summer if they don't work hard.

Reply #212076 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'm happy to go back to winter, but I want undercover carparking, & a free coffee if the 36ers get 100 points or more, like they do in WA.

Reply #212222 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Not all that fussed about the coffee, but we could haggle for Cornettos. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Reply #212225 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754