Purist
Years ago

NBL Salary Cap and Adelaide fans

What do we all think about the salary cap. Knowing that we are definitely now over the Salary Cap with the addition on Julius should we feel good about any wins from now on or is it just a case of everyone else is doing it so stiff sh..

Topic #18109 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Figured we, and all but a couple of clubs, were probably over it already, so not too bothered.

The points cap still brings some level of parity and, aside from that, I think people want entertainment more than anything else.

I'm not sure that the Spirit and Hawks (if they're under) would spend much more even if there weren't a cap? That said, I do like to see both of those sides doing well as underdogs punching above their weight.

Reply #212872 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

So what happens when the 36ers go bust chasing the leaders of the pack, no team next year?

Reply #212888 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

KC-gone, why would you think that?
We replaced a single import. Look through the history books & see which clubs folded through the same circumstances.
BTW, how long ago was Mark Davis brought into the league mid-season, & did that guilty club go bust?

Reply #212893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure that club did actually go bust DDfan....

Reply #212895 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Salary cap, the thing is just like a guide, everyone knows Brisbane won way over the cap a few years ago, the Tigers are a rediculous joke of almost openly blowing the cap so the NBL has basically said to win the thing its okay to go over. Under the table gifts/ payments are impossible to monitor. If you can afford the players do it, look what happened to our last coach when we were honest.

Reply #212897 | Report this post

frozone  
Years ago

who said we were honest then?

Reply #212899 | Report this post

Years ago

Kevin Brooks and Darnell Mee were hardly 'honest' times kman!

Reply #212901 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

There is a difference of slightly going over the limit compared with absolutely going over it by hundred's of thousands of dollars as I suspect Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney were/are all guilty of. Adelaide got a minimal find as a penalty for only going slightly over the limit if I remember correctly.

Reply #212916 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Very true, the league has always screwed us on technicalities over the years. One rule for Sydney Kings for years, they would sign imports, cut them have a new one within 48 hrs year after year, shows how bad the league wanted sydney to take off. Also seems the case with refs, one style of d for the others being physical and overly hands on then if we match it we are pinged every time. The refs have alot to do with popularity of the league the way they call it can be poor to watch.

Reply #212920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The league ratifies players quickly AFAIK. The other hold-up might be to do with sports visas or whatever it is has been problematic in the past.

Reply #212928 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Hows that Kingjames?

I would have thought breaking the rules is cheating - whether you do it by a little bit or a lot?

Reply #212930 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

I don't believe its cheating just getting to where all the other big boys are is all we are doing, to me its the NBL'S fault, the fact they have allowed everyone else to do so for so long, all sports do it always.

Reply #212937 | Report this post

Years ago

Just ask Carlton.

Reply #212941 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Anonymous #212895

"Pretty sure that club did actually go bust DDfan...."

The 36ers in '85?

Reply #212947 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

MS- Some people can only point out others' flaws but not when it's part of them.
We are cheating now- there- I said it.
So when someone reminds me of that in time to come, I'll say 'Yep' and we'll all move on...

Reply #212956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of you know that we're definitely over the salary cap - we've got Julius now, so let's all be happy.

Just like none of you know DEFINITELY how much over Brisbane and Melbourne et al have been in previous years.

Until you have bank statements, you're all just presuming how much the players are getting.

Reply #212958 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Wait, what? The NBL has a salary cap??? :P

Reply #212974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754