SOS
Years ago

Forfeits due to Schoolies

Once again numerous teams are forfieting this weekend due to schoolies.

U10's get the padgent off, why not have this round off for U20's?

Topic #18112 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah that sounds like a good idea to me!

Just on forfeits. I don't understand why a team can't play with 4 and just pay for the 5th player. If the team with only 4 players is going to lose by 20+ then that is fine but if that team of 4 wins by 20 without the 5th player I don't see the point other then revenue raising. Therefore, if it's still going to be a competitive game then the game should be official I think.

Reply #212919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares just get paro...

Reply #212936 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

who has forfeited - nothing on sporting pulse - so whats the drum - or just playing solo

Reply #212942 | Report this post

Makes Me Wonder  
Years ago

Will definitely be a few U18 squads hurting for numbers that weekend too.

Reply #212966 | Report this post

SOS  
Years ago

North Men Div 1 and 2 White.

Forestville Women Div 1 and 2

Reply #212983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember the people on here suggesting the competition should be changed so the Finals were held in November/December?

Here's one reason why that's a terrible idea.

On forfeits I think you've got it back to front. The ruling on forfeits from FIBA and BA is that if you don't have 5 players available to play, the game is a forfeit. The ruling regarding buying a ticket but not having a 5th player is a ruling made up by local associations/recreation centres who are only concerned with making a buck. They brought in that type of rule to keep struggling teams in their competition, more teams = more money.

IMO District basketball is for the elite and shouldn't be brought down to the level of social basketball rules.

Reply #212984 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sorry I should have specified I was talking about Social basketball. At District level there should always be 5.

Reply #212989 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

U18 squads hurting for numbers? How many 15 & 16 year olds do year 12? Or are they having a practice run at schoolies for next year?

Reply #212993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DaddyO it is possible, I was 16 in year 12, I remember this because I was 17 in first year uni (all those years ago) and couldn't go to the pub crawls in my first year. I'm not commenting on whether or not kids should still go to the game vs going straight to schoolies. I've been slayed for my thoughts on that one before. I'm just saying u18s can do yr12.

Reply #213006 | Report this post

waste of time  
Years ago

I think the under 21 womens DIV 1 should be srubbed anyway, look how many teams and they treat it as a joke. Most of the girls play during the week in the other comp's.....they dictate when they can have the night off like schoolies, thats how serious Friday nights are....give it away the girls would rather have Friday nights off anyway, stick to playing during the week.

Reply #213029 | Report this post

SOS  
Years ago

There have been an equal number of boys teams forfeiting this weekend. Should the boys comp be srapped as well.

can't beleive somebody would suggest that we stop some people from playing. Great idea (not)!

Reply #213037 | Report this post

foxy22  
Years ago

yes, Waste of Time...that was a bit harsh! There are more and more girls choosing to play on...
Next time maybe the organizers might take "schoolies" into account for men & women. Many players have given extra ordinary time and commitment through out their junior years. One week. That's it (oh, and Formals... :-)...). Unfair to do massive fines...just cover costs...that's enough, isn't it?

Reply #213393 | Report this post

The ME Gen.  
Years ago

With a bit of communication between players & coaches it is possible to get a game postponed until a later date.

I think if you are going to have 3 regular players out you can apply to have the game moved to a different date.

Why wasn't this done?

Reply #214554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

themegen- I think you're wrong and that rule only applies to state players

Reply #214556 | Report this post

SOS  
Years ago

The ME Gen,

bylaws state that you can only move a game if you have 3 or more players attending a National Championship. ie the highet grade for schools. Otherwise you have to pay a forfiet fine.

More importantly, you also lose and get a worse spot for State Champs Qualification.

Reply #214558 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:04 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754