green
Years ago

Fox Sports deal is a crock

Don't do any cartwheels just yet basketball fans.The $35 million dollar deal offered by Fox Sports is not what it seems.The NBL will not be getting $7 million per year as reported, instead they will only collect a
maximum of $2 million dollars.The other $5 million will be kept by Fox Sports for production costs and marketing.What angers me is that they should have offered $10 million, instead of a the $35 mill empty promise.

Topic #18120 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Welcome to last week!

Did you think that the AFL recieved a full $900 million in cash for their TV deal??

Reply #213013 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Green, as Skip's indicated, there's already been a fair bit of discussion about the deal being a little over-represented. Main thing is that the owners and league know what it's really worth to them, I guess.

Reply #213023 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I hope that channel 10 station thats starting next year one HD sport will pick up NBL as well it already said it will be showing the NBA. Sports 24hrs a day on free to air has to be good! The fox deal is good for basketball as well. Thats 2 million a year basketball doesn't have now. Plus the cost to run and advertise is some thing basketball doesn't have to pay is also money saved. For people like me that doesn't have fox the NBL should go back to free to air tv as well.
I keep thinking how big basketball was when channel 7 had it then 10 I think took it over for a while and they had a basketball program saturday morning I think it was NBA and NBL.

Reply #213030 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Skip, The AFL actually receives a majority of it.

Reply #213032 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I mustve been living under a rock when this was previously discussed, but by the sounds of it that $5mill Fox spen don marketing is of maximum benefit for the NBL anyways. Better that than nothing, which is what the other stations have offered right??

Reply #213039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The newspaper has said that the Adelaide Thunderbirds will play live on Channel Ten (mostly sundays) and the other games will be on ONE HD.

If the NBL can do this, show the local team of each state on Channel ten and have the rest of the games on ONE HD, you would still get every game like on the Fox deal but more viewers and a bigger audience.

Reply #213040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nino, not really spent on marketing, more on production costs and maybe a few promos on screen.

Reply #213043 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754