Quagmire
Years ago

36ers and the Screen and Roll

Its the staple of any offence.

When in doubt- screen and roll.

Two things i noticed from sat nights game-

1/ Sixers cannot guard a screen and roll.

Went under every single screen and let the dragons do exactly what they wanted, be it open looks at the trey or dribble entry to the middle of the paint.

(I would love to know how Goorj convinces officials his troops aren't moving when they set those 'Garnett esc' screens...)

But for the sixers to ALWAYS go under the screen and allow guards to get into the middle of the paint is unforgivable. I would say 80% of Dragons offensive sets started with a screen and roll from either the left or right 45.

2/ Dragons can defend a screen and roll.

When hodge had the ball in the post- we made our run. When he tried to beat guys using a screen, the dragons fronted and totally disrupted the play. We start our screen in the middle of the arc which is horrible. It forces you to the sidelines instead of opening the floor in the middle.

One final point. Our guards are way too scared of getting blocked.

When they get a drive, they are so obviously looking to pass and it is causing turn-overs. Getting blocked is not a bad thing- most blocks go out of bounds so we get the ball back, or we may get a foul, or it could fall into another sixers hands and we get a better look.
A block is the most over-rated stat in the game.

Our guys need to go up strong, use their bodies to give themselves a chance and have a crack at it. Have em drive all day at practice against Balls, Coops and Luke- its the only way to get better.

Topic #18161 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Apologies Isaac- can you get this into the sixers thread list?

My bad.

Reply #213604 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

I'm in agreement 100%, and I'd like to suggest that because of the tendency not to take the ball to the basket, we are not getting as many free throw attempts as we could be.

It's all well and good to pass the ball around the perimeter and look for open shots, but against good defenses (and I'll admit that while I don't like a lot about "Brian Goorjian defense", it is effective) you simply cannot rely on finding an open jump shot on every offensive posession.

I'd even go so far as to say that this season, we haven't "tested" any of the opposing teams defenses. We seem to work the ball around the perimeter, and in some cases take too long into the shot clock and end up having to rush a shot. I've seen way too many shot clock violations by the Sixers this year.

We need players like Bruce, Hill (who is improving vastly of late), Hodge (of course) and Ballinger to really muscle their way toward the hoop and try to at least get fouled if they can't get the bucket.

Reply #213607 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Finally I actually agree with you Quagmire. Our defence of the pick and roll is absolutely pathetic!

This has been happening all season long. The coaches get video access to every game. Yet have never changed how to guard the pick and roll! Every player goes under the screen so this must be the coaches decision.

To make things worse we don't even go under the screen correctly. Instead of cutting through our defensive player we go around our defensive player giving the offensive player with the ball even more time to shoot a 3 or even more room to drive. This is NOT acceptable and is more the type of defence social players play.

As a result, every team knows this is our weakness and use's it against us every game. Also this is why I imagine Derrick Low and Jason Smith killed us in the Spirit game with 3's.

I can't believe that this would be so clear on the video's yet NOTHING is being changed!

All the coaches have to do is look how the Dragons played the pick and roll and change our defence to be the same as theirs. The correct thing to do if they are a 3 point or driving threat, is to have our big guy step out to slow the offensive player down whilst still being close enough to the big they are guarding just incase they roll. This then gives the defending guard to catch up to the offensive player with the ball and stop any penetration or 3. Dragon's did this brilliantly.

The fact Nathan Herbert comes on and scores 21 points including 4/5 3's should be considered embarrassing towards the coaching staff. Was this guy not scouted at all!!!??? Bruce and whoever else was guarding him should have been told to spend less concern of him cutting through screens without the ball for a layup and more focus on him NOT getting open 3's!

I have come to the conclusion that Aaron Bruce is the worst starting 5 defender in the whole league! Can anyone tell me of a player that is worse then him in defence? The only defence he offers is putting some pressure on the ball carrier but the ball carrier would never be worried he would steal the ball from them. He gives up so many open 3's, lets players drive easily, is our worst defender on the pick and roll hence why every team is targeting him.

I do not understand why Bruce is starting! Davidson is a better offensive player with a more consistent 3 point shot and will drive strongly and is not worried about getting blocked. He also turns the ball over less as he makes better decisions. Defensively players hate Davidson guarding them, on the other hand Bruce is a defensive liability which players love to attack. This could not be made more clear then in the 3rd quarter, Sixers were down by 10 and start Bruce we then go down by as much as 21 and Davidson comes on and changed the game in my opinion. Davidson helped get us from being 19 down to only 9 down. Bruce will obviously be a better player but at the moment Davidson is still better and more importantly more experienced. I think Bruce has been given way too much credit by everyone. He came here with high raps being straight out of college and on the verge of the Australian team. However, in reality he was quite average at college getting 8ppg and 2apg in 20 minutes in his final year. Also he is miles behind the likes of Mills, CJ, Kendal, Gibson in attempting to get in the Australian team. He will be good in the NBL eventually but for now Davidson should be getting more minutes then him!

I am glad Ninnis went with a 9 player rotation and didn't play Winitana. Our players need more consistent minutes and they will perform much better then. I do like Winitana but currently this is what is best for our team especially with Brad Hill improving all the time!

I still dont like Cooper out there due to his offensive liability. There were times when Hodge would automatically get double teamed and instead of Cooper cutting towards the basket he stood on the opposite end 3 point line where he is no threat at all. Also now that we have 3 players in Hodge, Schenscher and Ballinger that require double teams all the time our players must be made aware of that and should focus on cutting towards the basket. At times I saw players just standing around the 3 point line instead of improvising when the ball was in the post. The only player I saw cut was Hill.

The fact that people are going on about sack Ninnis and/or sack the assistant coaches is an absolute Joke! This team will make the playoffs. We are currently two wins away from being in the top six! This team has had injuries all season as well as a lame duck import. Now we have Hodge. Yes we should have beaten Spirit but it seems that we got complacent based on how talented we are now and let that game slip. We then play the TOP team and almost beat them! Yet people are saying sack the coach!

We know this team can score, so now all the coaches have to do is tighten the defence including perimeter defence (pick and roll defence needs to be a main focus!)! Also better scouting is required we cant have bench players such as Gruber score 19 and Herbert 21 in limited minutes!

I have every confidence with the coaching staff that they will turn this season around. All the pieces are in place. The first of the wins start with a smashing of the Hawks this weekend!

Reply #213615 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Had to happen eventually.

Also wanted to mention i'm a big fan of Hills ability but he is way to shy out on the court.

I saw him shrug to the coaches when coming off in the first half after missing an open look.... don't shrug an open look mate- your good enough to hit it.

Also when he (and the rest of the guards) take it to the hole he sends up soft stuff instead of using his leaping ability to draw contact and finish.

The sooner the staff can get him trusting his own abilities the better coz he could and should be our starter in the finals.

Reply #213617 | Report this post

unbelievable  
Years ago

What I find funny is that everyone is commenting on how good Hill is. I'll give it that the guy can score when he wants to but.........

The guy is a horrible defender. No doubt people were watching as Ingles carved us up for 27. Hill was guarding him a lot (when hodge was not guarding him). Also Hill was the defender that lost site of Herbert on a crucial 3pt score when we were down by 1.

In my own opinion Hill is just like Ng

"Great Scorer but a liability on defence"

Reply #213624 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I agree totally regarding Bruces defensive capabilities. He gets wiped off way too easily on screens and always goes under them.

I did however notice an adjustment to the defense the sixers played on the high screen in the second half. They had Schensh step out on the shooter, it was inneffective as Gibson blew straight by him to the hoop - but at least it was different....

Reply #213630 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

It's an understatement that Hill has improved offensively this season. However I agree with Unbelievable regarding his defence and also have issue with Hill's jump shot. It's been suggested in other threads that Hill has a great 3 point shot that we're as yet to see in a match and he seems to need to get in for the drive every play he makes.
He needs to round himself out with an accurate longer jump shot to make himself a consistent threat. His brain fades on some offensive plays regarding driving into a bunch of defenders and putting up unrealistic shots is a bit of a worry as well

Reply #213632 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Agreed Hill is a bad defender but he is getting better. It is not easy for anyone to guard Ingles. Once he gets a consist 3 point shot he will be very hard to guard.

For the record (+/- for the team scores when they were on the court)
Bruce -12
Davidson -5

Reply #213635 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Countering Ingles is as easy as rotating Davidson on to him.

Davidson usually presses and gets up in the face of players (literally!). Ingles has a case of dropping his shoulder when he takes off and providing someone like Davidson can keep that distance, Ingles will be getting offensive fouls out the rear.

Ingles shot technique seems to need a lot of space too as he has a really wide swinging action when bringing the ball up; someone "quicker" is needed. Bruce is someone you can tailor like this but he needs COACHING to do that.

Plays wise, the Dragons won because of Perimeter shooting and nothing else. You take away 3 open perimeter shots and the game takes a completely different outcome. Would be best to look at a 3-2 Zone (not a 2-3 zone) and get more perimeter defense going. Have Balls and Big Luke take the inside ONLY.

Reply #213656 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Good point Marty! It would have been worth trying Davidson on him. He would annoy the heck out of him. Sometimes its harder to get a shoot up when there is an annoying fast guard under you.

Also possibly a zone would have been a good idea.

I think one of the best idea's a team can employ as a excellent quick strategy after an opponents time out and they have the ball is to chuck a zone at them. This way any plans they have of getting a quick score or a 3 from the time out will be out the window.

Reply #213661 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Found myself screaming approx 6 - 7 times in the last quarter and a half " Get the ball to the big man on the screen and roll! You know the big 7 foot guy with red hair, standing all alone".. Hodge and Bruce missed him so many times when they were doubled..Even Brett did at least once.

Reply #213662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quagmire you're wrong about going under the screen the wrong way. This is the NBL not Div 3 local comp. If you go under the screen but over your defensive big teammate the screen will just inside pivot and screen the guard again. The right way is the way that they are doing it..with the bigs jamming the offensive bigs so they can't re screen. IN saying that there aren't alot of guards in the NBL who you would be comfortable with them going under on ball screens. Off the top of my head maybe Joyce, Tait, Homicide.

Reply #213663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The mention of Ingles' style of shooting is fine, but regardless, Davidson would give up more than half a foot on Ingles! Not sure how effective that would be.

Reply #213671 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

To clarify- i think you play a screen with both guard and big fronting the screen, then it is up to the rotation to cover the big screener if they roll. The bonus here is that no Dragon big is gonna hurt us from range like their guards did, plus i would rather see Burston of Horvarth forced to put it on the floor or make a pass as oppossed to guards making those plays. Balls is quick enough to get there, as would be Holmes, its just a matter of pressure and D awareness in rotation.

Reply #213672 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Sorry KingJames, but I don't have the speed reading skills, nor the concentration span, to bother with more than 20 lines of your drivel.

You are an idiot.

Reply #213686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahh pretty sure ninnis has spoken about this as a weekness of gibson that he is a poor outside shooter. i didnt see gibson hit a outside shot on bruce. bruce actually guarded gibson great i thought, only got caught out twice on penetration but in saying that got caught out by little fouls which resulted in 3 point plays but i saw great improvement in his defense this game.

and people seem to c aarons college stats and see that his output lowered but so did his minutes and the talent around him as baylor's turn around in the last four years is one of the biggest in ncaa history.

some people should stop bitching about him, he is a rookie guard leading the league in assists, his turnovers are comming down and his shooting percenteges were on the up except for the last game wow he is human.

bruce works the hardest on the team always first to games shooting getting treatment or doing extra and coaches hav praised him. if the senior players worked as hard as him maybe some results might come

Reply #213688 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Thanks for that Anonymous and how did he go guarding Herbert (21 Points) and Carter (9 Points)?. Or Derrick Low the night before (24 points) and Smith (18 points)? While I didn't see the Spirit game I would imagine he was on Low and Smith most the game. However the Dragons game he gave Herbert lots of open 3's when he got caught up on screens. While Carter continued to drive past him. No one is doubting his effort. Just he needs to work on his defence because currently he sucks at defence, hence why teams are now targeting him.

Reply #213692 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Not sure when the new week starts for the hoops posting count stats, but I'll chime in for a stand up bashing anyway.
FFS you tech-ball heads, GET A FREAK'N GRIP.
EVERY team, gets EVERY game vid. EVERY team scouts EVERY vid. Do you honestly think that ANY team approaches a 36er game without scouting, & doesn't make adjustments that THEY'VE thought through as maybe bringing us unstuck?
FFS, if only life was as easy as you guys make it out to be.

Reply #213693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ahh pretty sure ninnis has spoken about this as a weekness of gibson that he is a poor outside shooter.
Gibson's not that bad - hit four straight threes against the Breakers last Thursday.

Reply #213698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah i was at the game and he was hardly guarding herbert and carter didnt have any effect on the game at all and got points off fast breaks and free throws so i dont kno if u were there or not but ok.

and if you read boti's article he states that jason smith was guarded by hodge and derrick low is one of the best shooters in the league he might of been guarding low but if you went on last game against the spirit at home he guarded low extremely well i was also at that game so obviously the spirit no doubt made great adjustments.

now it is sixers time to make adjustments and get better because they could easily hav a even record if not better with abit of luck

and people are doubting his effort coz they seem to think he is too slow getting up the court but people forget he is being guarded full court by one of the best defenders in the league with worthington trapping him with no helpers.

im sorry but i kno brett maher is a great player but his got no real game except for comming of screens he struggles to beat a player one on one i kno his injuries are perhaps responsible for this.

Reply #213699 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Thanks for another random Intelligent post DDFan, NOT!

Who suggested anything about teams not scouting us?

People have pointed out that we have had terrible defence this season and have the right to say that this falls back on the coaches as they haven't made the correct adjustments. The best example is of us getting torched with open 3's and also on pick and rolls. Offensively we were starting to suck but the coaches have made the correct adjustments. They now need to fix the defence and do better scouting.

Reply #213704 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he was speaking about scouting in general, even if he mentioned teams scouting Adelaide.

Might be more about directions from the coaches and/or players following those, rather than scouting alone. Most people remember Herbert running rampant against Adelaide last season anyway.

Reply #213709 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"he is miles behind the likes of Mills, CJ, Kendal, Gibson in attempting to get in the Australian team."

I agree his D has been shocking of late but he is still ahead of Gibson and Kendall.

DDfan, SERENITY NOW!!!

Reply #213735 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Im sure the sixers will identify their pathetic d on the screen and roll and fix it within the next game or two. Bruce in my opinion needed this season to be the 2nd guy coming in and learning, you can see he really feels the pressure but no doubt the guy will be an awesome player with more confidence. The dragons went to the pick n roll so much i could'nt believe ninnis did not work it out.

Reply #214030 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754