Isaac
Years ago

AAP scales back NBL coverage

The National Basketball League's administration is seething after Australian Associated Press cancelled its regular coverage of every match from next round.

AAP, a subscriber-funded news agency, has announced that instead of covering every match, it will supply a wrap of the round on Sunday afternoons. The new coverage begins on Wednesday, with the start of round 11.

It has advised that each of the finals matches will be covered but coverage of individual matches would depend on news value.
The Age: League fumes over move to cut coverage

Seems like this will mostly impact places like Cairns, Townsville and NZ, but could also be problematic for coverage in Sydney where a lot of stories would be provided by AAP.

I think Cairns, Townsville and NZ have reasonable local coverage as it is, so hopefully the impact won't be too harsh.

Topic #18166 | Report this topic

Boo Radley  
Years ago

The NBL chose to get into bed with Foxtel and The AAP ain't foxtel.

My opiniom is that Foxtel is the last company the NBL should be talking too.

With all the commercial channels going digital the NBL chose to not give baskteball for free to all Aussies and have gone for the $35 million.

Reply #213639 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Makes me very thankful we have Boti.

Reply #213641 | Report this post

NBL press coverage in Melb has been steadily falling as well since Grantley Bernard started covering the A-league as well as NBL/WNBL. So AAP's move seems to reflect that basketball is attacting less and less of the public's attention

Let's hope the newNBL generates some interest but hopes are not high. Board members have been heard to say that there is to much self interest for there to be a revolution - are we on the road to oblivion? Destined to be a school ground for talented if slightly one deminsional players?

That seems to be how we are heading given media coverage and existing player development pathways.

Reply #213653 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

In Melbourne it does seem to be less of the 'feature articles' and more just game re-caps, but on the news seems to be more talk of the Dragons and Tigers. Remember being lucky for them to show the score, now they are running interviews and the like.

Reply #213666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to do with the NBL as such, but Freeview is launching tonight at 6:29 PM on all FTA channels, so unless you have Foxtel, you can't miss it.

For those who don't know what it is, you will find out i guess.

Reply #213678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://freeview.com.au/

Reply #213730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754