Annoyed
Years ago

Goorijan should be ejected

How can Goorijan flaunt the rules and continually step onto the court during games. Against the 36ers he did it over 20 times. Each and every times this occurs he should immediately be slapped with a technical foul.

The FIBA rules state '7.5 Only the coach is permitted to remain standing during the game. He may address
the players verbally during the game provided he remains within his team bench
area.'

Topic #18167 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

Did you count how many times Scotty did it?

I want to record it on the stats sheet.

Reply #213645 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It is a pretty trivial issue. Does it really matter he has a foot on the court? Does it impact your enjoyment of the game? Does it impact the game? Why you would count how many times he was on the court is very odd.

Reply #213646 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know about ejection, but he could be warned to stay in his area if it was a critical rule.

Reply #213647 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

My issue with this is that Scott was officially warned for walking past the white line in front of the bench.

Goorj gets to walk wherever he feels like with out repercussion.

Reply #213648 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

It's all about intimidation. No wonder the umpiring was so one-sided, he's actually standing with both feet inside the court arguing in the umpire's ear whilst the game is on and interfering with play. Yes, I'd say that's something to worry about. Wouldn't be tolerated in any other league in the world.

Reply #213652 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Its not just Goorj that does it. I see it happen with every coach (including Ninnis) several times a game.

Reply #213655 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Goorj does everything he can to get in the Umpires' heads. He has made a trade of it, and the annoying thing is it works.

I thought Scotty did well to at least let the umps know that he was there as well. He at least made his presence felt at certain important times in the night. But I also felt it was 'rules for some' when they warned Scotty only for having one foot outside his box.

What annoys me most is the scragging calls that Worthington gets when he instigates holding on our players (they all do it, but Wortho is the best at drawing the call). On one occasion, wrapped his arm around (I think) Schencher, then, while holding a shirt on the blindside of the near umpire, straightening the arm and gesticulating to the umps that he was being held. It was pretty obvious, but he drew the call he wanted.

Reply #213657 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

XY that was on Ballinger. I watched that play perfectly and saw what happened with Worthington locking arms with him and then showing it to the umpire.

That game was the worst umpiring at the dome this season and I believe it was due to the Goorijan intimidation. Very unprofessional by the umpires!

Reply #213660 | Report this post

Carpenter  
Years ago

yes...it's the reason the Dragons won...please...

Reply #213681 | Report this post

9999th Fan  
Years ago

Your an idiot, Give me a break... SO WHAT!
Did he trip someone, did he get a steal....?!?!?

GROW THE HELL UP, DONT POST JUNK LIKE THAT... IT JUST PISSES READERS OFF..

Reply #213687 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

This from Mr."Grabau gets treated like a rookie"

"That game was the worst umpiring at the dome this season"

Almost, but I'd have to go with the Cairns game.

Reply #213731 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Thats why Goorj is such a good coach!

Reply #213751 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The significance of letting coaches get away with entering the court may not be great in itself but it all leads to the umpire's understanding of the rules. A rule is a rule and must be adhered to. If refs are turning a blind eye to this, then its likely they let other violations slip which are quite significant. This story could not have been told more clearly than in last Saturday's game.

Reply #213760 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How is it likely? And how is it related to their understanding of the rules? It might just mean that refs are watching, wait for it, the players on the court rather than where a coach is standing.

I don't think the refs have been perfect, but they have barely decided a game one way or the other. For every instance where a call has gone the wrong way one time, there's been an opposite soon after.

Loss aside, I found Saturday night's game very entertaining. I'd probably rather watch that sort of match up more often than a blow out or a bland low-scoring win where both teams score at 35%. The drives by Hodge and dunks by Darden are what we need more of in the NBL.

Reply #213795 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Id be more worried about the players touching the refs as this is setting a bad example to the kids watching the game and i have seen it a number of times this season from opposition players and games on fox.. Who cares if the coach has his toe over the line as long as he isnt endangering the players or the ref. Have you ever watched the euro leagues some of those coaches are the 6th player playing defence they are thay far out on the court.

Goorg essentially is the 6th player on the court as he is a bloody good coach, he pumps his team up and he gets into the umpires heads and has done for years so he knows hat he can get away with and when hes pushing the limits. Scotty needs to get to know and earn the umpires respect over the next few years and then he may too be able to put his toe over the line.
Same as district and social ball if the umpires like you you generally get your fair share of calls and if they really dont like you then change stadiums.

Reply #213800 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Goorjian knows exactly what he can get away with even outside the rules because the refs allow him to get away with it. Sure the refs have to watch the players and may have missed watching the coach but this will happen on occasions. Goorjian does it as a matter of habit and for so long that its hardly necessary to watch him step over the line every time to know that he does. It has all got to do with who is allowed to do what and who isn't. As I said before, encroaching the line by the coach is hardly a serious matter but inconsistency by the refs causes confusion and leads to unbalanced calls. Also in view of the closeness of atleast 3 of the 36ers games, who is to say that correct calling of the game throughout would not have made a difference. Just put aside all shortfalls on the players' performance and focus on the effect of the refs. The players playing badly deserve to lose if nothing else influences the result, the incorrect calls made by refs is unfair regardless of which side. Every team deserves to win or lose on their own merit.

Reply #213807 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Who are you responding to 9999? Not that your little rant is worth responding to, but as to who cares, Worthington got a soft call off the ball in his favour for contact he initiated deliberately. Not what I would call a sportsmanlike effort.

Reply #213816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754