man of action
Years ago

First U17 worlds

when are they due - I believe they are soon.

Topic #18178 | Report this topic

ankles  
Years ago

The first u/17 world's are due to be held in July 2010. To date, BA seem to be struggling with how to fund and plan a preparation for another junior team alongside the existing Gems and Emus preparations.

They obviously plan to compete, hence the move of the U18 Nationals to April from 2009.

Be interesting to see how they go about it. Top age 16's from last year's Nationals will be top age 18's (Under 17's) for the first tournament.

Reply #213779 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ankle...whats the BA comment about? Have they indicated there is a problem with getting the athletes there?

I remember in 1997 the New Zealand team paid their own way to the 22 and Under champs in melbourne, but its a long time since I can recall a BA national team having to pay their own way to a worlds but there was something like that in one of their reports.

Reply #213782 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Nothing concrete, just another expensive campaign for an organisation not rolling in money. Gretel Tippett (probably the centerpiece of any U17 girls campaign) has already played in Europe, Guam and Adelaide at international tournaments in one year of a 2-year campaign towards the 2009 U19 world's.

Extrapolate that cost by roughly 20 (12 players plus staff) x 2 genders x 2 years and you've got a fairly costly exercise (must in the $100,000's of dollars I'd think) - remember they look at about 50 boys and 50 girls in the process of getting to the final teams, all at BA's costs for the national camps.

The dilemma for BA is that if they go, they have to do well because their Govt funding is based on world rankings and the juniors and women have contributed enormously to keeping this as high as 2 in the world in recent years. A no-show serves to drag that down as does a poor performance so they are in a pickle.

Being as they are in the middle of a preparation for the 2009 World's, there seems to be a danger that they'll get to the end of those World's in July next year and realise they only have 1 year left to get another group together for he next World's.

Personally, I'd have thought they might pull a big group out of the top age 16's from Perth this year to send a young team to Guam as the 2009 Gems team is pretty much set, but instead they pulled out a preliminary group for the 2011 World U/19's, which is 3 years away.

I shall watch with interest as I know lots of the girls (particularly) in this age group.

Reply #213834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ankles that would have been too pro active, logical and downright smart for BA to think of!

Reply #213841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754