Isaac
Years ago

Hodge named NBL POTW

Adelaide's Julius Hodge has been named NBL Player of the Week for Round 10.

Despite his team suffering a pair of narrow losses, Hodge picked up just where he left off in his return to the NBL, averaging an amazing 26.5 points per game, 10.5 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 1.0 steals for the week.
Hodge's Adelaide teammate Adam Ballinger was another key contender for Player of the Week honours in Round 10, averaging 29.0 points and 4.5 rebounds for the week.
Other contenders were Matt Knight and Glen Saville, while the honourable mentions included:
Others in consideration for Player of the Week included Daniel Egan (Townsville), Corey Williams (Townsville), Joe Ingles (South), CJ Bruton (New Zealand), Kirk Penney (New Zealand), Shawn Redhage (Perth), Derrick Low (Sydney), and Ebi Ere (Melbourne), and Larry Abney (Cairns).

Topic #18185 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

wow in his first week back he gets it! Would have preferred two wins though! :)

Reply #213829 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well deserved!

Reply #213833 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

As if there was any doubt after the Sydney game.

Reply #213835 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

You really cant argue with that stats. There is daylight between him and the next best. Win or Lose your games.

Reply #213836 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

He is definately the premier player in the L.

The wins will follow for sure.

Reply #213838 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Goes to show that it is the Player of the Week award and not Team of the Week. Hodge's performance this last week was great despite the fact the team couldn't get any wins. Congratulations and well done to Hodge.

Reply #213842 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I thought CJ Bruton was going to get it,
but i am very happy to be proven wrong.

Given its his first week,
his stats can only get better.

Reply #213843 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Very good, hopefully the league can get other players with his passion, intensity and abilities. Love how he gets the crowd involved, even though we lost the game the atmosphere that he brought to the dome was awesome. As Kingjames said though i would trade his stats for 2 wins, we are lucky that its early.

Reply #213844 | Report this post

ballerbands  
Years ago

has hodge won more player of the week awards in the NBL than he has games?????

Reply #213845 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haha - almost. I think the record currently stands at 6 wins, 4 POTWs.

Reply #213847 | Report this post

9999th Fan  
Years ago

ATT: Quagmire

2 games.... huge #'s but 2 GAMES....

Reply #213858 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

well done hodge a deserving winner, lets hope the wins follow

Reply #213859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A disgrace...surely team wins are the most important factor

Reply #213861 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - I have had the same arguement in the past regarding the Season MVP. It really comes down to the wording of the 'award'.

Player of the week - Really should be mostly judged on stats. If you have 2 or more players that are equally as good personally then I would refer to their team results.

Most Valuable Player - I have always argued that unless the team is successful, what 'value' does that player add?

Reply #213862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, who would you pick instead? I think wins should be a factor too (as well as standard of opposition, etc), but there were no stand-out alternatives IMO and I don't mind them picking Hodge given his numbers.

As I said on OzHoops earlier, Ballinger went 0-2 also, Knight's 19 and 11 wasn't that amazing, Khazzouh was very inaccurate, Tigers and Cats didn't have any real standouts in their wins over Cairns, and Penney mostly scored (27/3/2 or whatever). Bruton might've been the best other option - 20/4/6 or something like that in a win over the top team (at full strength) - but only rated a mention.

Reply #213863 | Report this post

Tripa  
Years ago

POTW what does it really mean we know julius is the best player in the league, he's gonna win a lot more and it will look ridiculus if the sixers keep losing at the same time. Its time for the sixers to forget about the scoreboard and get the procedure right if the procedure is right the scoreboard will be right

Reply #213869 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

You could take the award one step further. It is intended to be won by a player who has had the most outstanding performances for the week, but its always won on points and rebounds. This takes away the opportunity for role players who play their role particularly well, but not necessarily in the role of scoring points. If a player's performance has enabled members of his team to score well, then he is equally as important to the scoring yet he will not be recognised for the award because he didn't actually put the ball through the hoop.

Reply #213895 | Report this post

scooby  
Years ago

EC

I can seem where you are coming coming from, but dont really agree. I think votes for those players should come from their coaching staff for the clubs end of year awards. Team coaches are in a better position to rcognise those players week in week out than whoever selects NBL POTW.

Reply #213900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the award certainly isn't called "TEAM" Player of the Week if Julius won it.

Reply #213904 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

scooby, you are right that it would be difficult for the NBL to determine that. They can only judge by numbers. In fairness of treating all players equally, perhaps the refs of each game can be asked to nominate a player who is worthy of a weekly award and the NBL chooses the player by a lottery system. This is in additi8on to the usual POTW award. Atleast the ones who play well but don't necessarily score points gets an opportunity to be recognised for that.

Reply #213913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754