Isaac
Years ago

Sydney Spirit placed into default

The sole director of Razorbacks Entertainment Pty Limited, Greg Evans, was asked on Tuesday for further information about the company's financial position, in particular his previously stated intention to place the company into the hands of an administrator. A deadline of 4:00pm on Wednesday was set for Evans to respond or the League would immediately initiate default proceedings against the club.

The 4:00pm deadline expired without any further communication from Evans, leaving the League with no option other than to place the Spirit into default. Evans and the Spirit now have 10 business days to rectify the breaches outlined in the default notice or the team's license will be withdrawn.
"We met with all the players and coaching staff of the Spirit this morning to bring them up to date with the situation and answer their questions, and to their credit they have indicated that they are going to continue to prepare for Saturday's match as if it were business as usual," Derwin added.

Topic #18199 | Report this topic

Tripa  
Years ago

What does this mean ? will they play out the season what happens to games they have played

Reply #214026 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

yer what does that mean?

Reply #214031 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

It means the first part of the process required to kick them out of the league has started

Same thing they went throug with the Kings and the Bullets before officially killing them.

Reply #214032 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

Thanks Kent

Reply #214033 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It is a bit hard to understand.
Maybe that other sportal article is confusing last wednesday with tomorrow.

Reply #214040 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It's all happening now....in just over a week they will be gone.

Reply #214048 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Now I get it. 10 working days from today to try and fix it. But, seems unlikely.

Reply #214049 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Cowan was just saying on Foxtel, how he will be upset if the dragons were to lose the 2 wins theyve had over the Spirit. Surely that'd just be stiff shit, as I cant see another way it could be organised, but to wipe the spirits NBL record clear! Oh and just whilst im watching the Dragons/Taipans game, how lucky are the Dragons to be playing Cairns when the taipans are completely depleted! Mee and DT both out and Grabau who i cant stand is out with an ankle too!

Reply #214051 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Just wanted to point out that it's the same scenario as what happened to the Kings, but definately not the same as the Bullets. (not sure why that urban legend is still some people's gospel- some selective hearing perhaps...)

Reply #214057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Spirit gone, the latest news of Cairns in big trouble and Wollongong unlikely to be able to cope with the newbl price after struggling the last two seasons financially, a NewBL like this could be likely?

1 Adelaide
2 Brisbane Bullets
3 North Queensland (Townsville/GoldCoast)
4 Melbourne Tigers
5 Sydney Kings
6 New Zealand Breakers
7 Perth Wildcats
8 South Dragons

Gone: Spirit, Cairns, Wollongong

Reply #214065 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - 3 North Queensland (Townsville/GoldCoast)

Not sure where you think the Gold Coast is?

Reply #214066 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Sad to see Cairns gone, couldnt care less about Wollongong, but funnily enough if they had stayed 'Illawarra' this whole time id see there exclusion as a national tradegdy!

Reply #214068 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When the Cannons failed mid-year, they played out the season with a budget roster. Hopefully they do the same thing with the Spirit.

Reply #214078 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

But if there were major changes to the Spirit's roster, you could hardly call the line up's losses as equally as valid as the old line up's wins.

Reply #214081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have heard something about the other nbl teams possibly pitching in to keep the spirit afloat for the rest of the season. I heard a lot of teams have agreed to be a part of this idea, although a few have said they are not willing to help out. Not sure if there is even a chance of this happening. But what do people think about this idea? Then it would take away any problems for changing the schedule, and adjusting the W/L records for each team.

Reply #214083 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Oh and just whilst im watching the Dragons/Taipans game, how lucky are the Dragons to be playing Cairns when the taipans are completely depleted! Mee and DT both out and Grabau who i cant stand is out with an ankle too!

We beat them by 29 when they had their full squad earlier in the season too....well, without Black. but everyone gets to play them without Black.

Cairns just do NOT know how to handle the Dragons D, Crosswhite was Burstons bitch all night and Catt (as much as I love his game) needs to get his head in the game.

Maybe then his shooting percentage will get abovce his blood alchohol level.

Reply #214091 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kev, you can't, but at least you don't have to change the schedule (to keep the same number of games) or have byes (in which case, home teams will lose money and have angry fans).

Saw it mentioned on OzHoops that the Wildcats will offer members the first two play-off games (assuming they make it in) in lieu of missed home games should the Spirit not be around.

Good move to take care of fans, but that's a big financial hit for a club to take because another can't keep it together.

Reply #214095 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isaac, are the 36ers going to chip in to prop up a team that embarrassingly kicked our butts for the benefit of the league? Or is it in the 36ers best interests on a business level, to let them sink?
My apologies in advance, if I've directed this question to the wrong person.

Reply #214174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Evans has gone from a guy that couldn't pay the bills to a guy that didn't even have the decency to communicate with his own club directly underneath that he couldn't pay the bills.
To just slink away like that and have the coach and players find out from the League that the guy just sent them an email is piss poor.

Reply #214176 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I agree Anonymous ##214176, do us all a favour & let Evans know your feelings.
There's a good boy.

Reply #214178 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

DDFan have you forgotten your medication today??? :p

Reply #214181 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

.......Again?

Reply #214210 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DDFan, the NBL have a pool of funds which may be used to keep the Spirit in for the duration of the season. Those funds have come from the various franchise owners and their approval is being sought by the league to use the money for his purpose.

Other than that, if Adelaide still had home games against the Spirit, it might be in their best financial interest to keep Sydney around but, given that they don't, that incentive is not quite there.

---

@214176, it's been suggested that he is handling communication very carefully/sparsely for legal reasons - if he coughs up the licence immediately, he gets no return whatsoever. Alternatively, he could manage to sell it within the 10 days.

---

Thought this was interesting:

Dragons boss Mark Cowan had suggested his team wouldn't be prepared to play the game unless it was guaranteed any victory over the Spirit would stand if the Sydney club was unable to continue.

Derwin said he had told the Dragons they would forfeit the game if they didn't turn up and the NBL could also take further action.
Heil Derwin! Nice work pissing off a crucial franchise owner with a legitimate concern while trying to set up an expensive new league, partly funded by said franchise owner.

Reply #214216 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

General comment:

"DDFan have you forgotten your medication today??? :p"

DICKO:

".......Again?"

You're a real crack up guy DICKO, where you get your material, a pantie liner factory perhaps?

Isaac:

"DDFan, the NBL have a pool of funds which may be used to keep the Spirit in for the duration of the season. Those funds have come from the various franchise owners and their approval is being sought by the league to use the money for his purpose"

The NBL has a pool of funds?????

"Other than that, if Adelaide still had home games against the Spirit, it might be in their best financial interest to keep Sydney around but, given that they don't, that incentive is not quite there"

That was my point.

Reply #214247 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Isaac, I get the feeling that the NBL (despite their incompetence in several areas) are getting a bit tired of taking direction from Cowan and are just wanting to remind him that he's not boss and that they shouldn't be taking orders and directions from him, despite his finances.

I understand where Cowan is coming from, but it seems that for him to threaten to withdraw from the game when the league has pressing issues is a bit trivial- we are hardly on the edge of finals time and it's unlikely to impact on the Dragons' season.
Further, the Dragons wouldn't be the only team wanting to know where they stand with the Spirit folding- last time I checked, there were 8 others that probably have the same concerns but don't feel cocky enough to dictate terms to the league.
(on this occasion anyway)
As they say, when you lend a hand, some people want your whole freakin arm and I think Cowan would do well to stop trying to act as though everyone is answerable to him lately.

Reply #214381 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754