mike man
Years ago

north v sturt

well i think this match provides quite a few interesting matchups...and i find the end result very hard to predict.
shephard and bauer against the taller north guards...the old height v quickness debate will continue...i dont think north will be able to contain shephard...the man is lightning.
hambour v forman...a clear edge to sturt...gower, wilkey v hawkes and co....pretty even match up i think.
although the match is at hillcrest i am tipping sturt in a close one...with shephard and the ever reliable forman to lead the way.

Topic #182 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Who are North's forwards? Hawkes and McKay?

Hambour is a quiet achiever, but Oscar has height over him and made him look a bit average last time I saw them play at Pasadena. At Hillcrest, Hambour had 17 and 13 with 3 blocks to Oscar's 25, 17 and 4 blocks, but Hambour picked up his stats in 10-fewer minutes -- very efficient.

I think Gower is reliable out there for Sturt and it could come down to Wilkey making his shots (4/16 when Sabres lost to North last time) and Bauer performing (missed the last match-up).

When they last met, the Sabres took off with a 31-21 first quarter, but North won the middle two 48-24... 19 apiece in the final quarter.

Reply #1242 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

But Sturt had no ball carriers in that game, North put on a trap and Sturt were taken out of their offence. I remember Oscar jacked up a lot of shots that night to get his 27 and didn't really play as well as his stats read.

The match-up earlier in the season I feel is more indicitive of where this match will go. Hambour will get owned, like he has been all year, he really is overrated I feel, (the sturt game being the only one I've seen where he hasn't been outplayed) and can't create his own shot. Oscar will get some shots off Bauer feeds early just outside the key hopefully and get his groove on. Hawkes will jack up his usual brick jumpers. North is inconsistent in it's form. For me for north to win it's bench has to come to the party, (Burdon people) or Mckay needs to have a good game offensively, (he tends to have one good game followed by a bad followed by a good etc).

Wilky does need to keep his head in check for Sturt to have a chance. Get O the ball early from about 15 feet and let him work.

Unfortunately due to work I can't see the game (last 4 weeks work has screwed me, after seeing games all year long I'm going to miss the finals!!! AAAARRRHHHH!!!!!) If anyone on here has a job a casual uni student can do that allows him to go to ABL matches, give me an e-mail!!!!

Double Clutch!

Reply #1248 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

This will be a good game the only let down will be that stadium. The older guys from norths will last longer because they don't have to run as far due to the smaller court and are those rings the right height after they relayed the floor??? Standing room only.

Reply #1249 | Report this post

North have a serious advantage with a smaller court & will probably look to trap when possible.
I think most Sturt players over their careers would have played at Hillcrest plenty of times to know where the dead & dark spots on the court are.

North have a serious advantage on a smaller court if they are looking to full court trap etc
Trying to bring the ball up under pressure with all those mum's & dad's on the sidelines & the crazies in the bar might spook the little Shepherd.

I believe Nathan Hawkes is the key, he's playing at home where he is most comfortable & over the last few weeks he has started to up the ante. I wouldn't be too surprised if Hawkes gets the job on Forman. Hawkes is 6'7 with long arms and knows Oscars game.
Hawkes has been North's best player for many years & their guards will need to get the ball to him more than they have.

Reply #1265 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Doesn't Hawkes run the point?

Reply #1268 | Report this post

He has been mixing it up the last few years & has played a lot of his minutes at the 1 spot.
Hawkes is able to get North into their offense better than any guard out there, the problem at times, is that he doesn't get the ball back.

Reply #1274 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gower could play on Hambour defensively and maybe Benson or Wilkey on Hawkes?

Reply #1276 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

If you're serious, DC, I could link you up to a fair few!

Reply #1292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #1331 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

I can't understand why the over whelming confidence in Sturt.

Split 1 all this year.

First game: Sturt + Maher
North - Hawkes

Sturt win

Who is going to mind Ben Groves. Must be North's top scorer for year (or pretty close).

Reply #1332 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

First game: Sturt + Maher & Williams

And, yes, Ben Groves is North's leading scorer this season

Reply #1348 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

I'll just be happy to leave with my car in one piece. That for me will be a moral victory!

Reply #1380 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Has a time been announced for this yet?

All i can find is "TBA"

Reply #1385 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Also, should point out:

2nd game this season:
North: full strength team
Sturt: no Williams or Bauer (or Maher)

North win

This game is simply going to come down to who executes better on the day - I think it's a tough one to call.

Reply #1386 | Report this post

Dusan Vavic  
Years ago

The game is at 7.30 PM, straight from the North President's mouth

Dusan

Reply #1399 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hey DC, drop me an [email protected] have something for you, if it suits you

Reply #1400 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Thanks Yogee and Libertine. I'll get on my computer on the weekend and drop you both an e-mail.

Double Clutch.

Reply #1401 | Report this post

Ramrock  
Years ago

Time to give some predictions.
North by 7

Reply #1402 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

sturt by 12, oscar will be too hard to stop for hambour and co.

Reply #1410 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

North by 6. Eze to hit 15 and bust it wide open ;-).

Reply #1411 | Report this post

Sturt do look to be peeking at the right time.
If Sturts' guards can handle the pressue then it will be a comfortable win.
However, I don't think they will & I can see Hawkes having a big one, so North to win by 11.

Reply #1415 | Report this post

Sabre tooth  
Years ago

Sturt by plenty, North have too much internal bickering to go all the way, the starters hate the bench and vice versa, what the dirty looks from Nate when the youngsters miss a few shots.

Reply #1416 | Report this post

SAW  
Years ago

Sabre Tooth (anagram: be trash too),

You must be extremely close to North (but you go under a Sturt pseudonym?!?) to know how every one feels about each other at North. Fortunately beating Sturt this weekend is not "to go all the way" therefore despite the internal bickering North by enough to send Sturt packing.

Reply #1431 | Report this post

04astatsguru  
Years ago

When North played Tigers at the Tiger cage the game went into overtime. At that point Hawkes and McKay were running up and down in the one spot and the Tiger cubs overan them. If the game goes to overtims Sturt will win. Who will stop Oscar?

Reply #1440 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

As this reply is the 25th on this subject and the predictions favour both teams fairly equally, it suggests that both these teams are more evenly matched than what the individual predictions suggest. I predict that it will be a close game but could not commit to either as the winner. If the game does not end very closely, then something out of the ordinary will happen to cause this.

Reply #1441 | Report this post

X_factor  
Years ago

North will win due to their home court advantage. North will not win the whole thing tho, due to the fact that they can't play away from home. Expect them to make quite a few Grand finals in the next few years but they will never win one...not while they are held at the powerhouse.

Reply #1458 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754