curious
Years ago

1 on 1 game: Best Offense V Best Defense

Yo,

I was watchin Reggie's Mailbag on TNT (Reggie Miller, for those who are not aware, does a segment where fans can ask a q)..... AND.... He was asked the question, "Who would win a 1 on 1 game between the NBA's best offensive player and the best defensive player?"

Reggie went with Offense.. citing Kareem over Bill Russell as an example (using centres).. but he did not try to justify.

What do we think? Would actually be very interesting IMO.

Topic #18201 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Its an easy answer. The offensive player would win!

These days people are unbelievable at offence that the only way to stop them is with team defence. Not one player can guard a good offensive player alone and continue to stop them consistently

Reply #214037 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Offense will most likely always win as they have an advantage. It is an old cliche', but the offensive player has an advantage. He knows where he wants to go, and what he wants to do. It is up to the defence to react accordinly.

Talking of defence, how bad is it in the NBA?
Is the defence really bad or are the offensive players just too good?

Because you see some ridocolously high scoring matches. And not to mention the fair share of wide-open looks. Lets be honest, getting an open jumper in the NBA isn't as hard as what people think.

Reply #214038 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

It'd still be interesting though i think,

Imagine two real hard nut competitors like Kobe V Artest. I'd say Kobe, but without a ref there giving him free throws and shit, just 1 man v 1 man, it wouldn't be as one sided as you think

Reply #214041 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Ok, so best offensive SG vs. best defensive SG:

Kobe vs. Kobe

...I think Kobe would win.

Reply #214043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Talking of defence, how bad is it in the NBA?
Is the defence really bad or are the offensive players just too good?"

Watched the Celtics lately Skux? The last NBA championship was won with hard D.

Reply #214044 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

The Celtics are the best though, and they are in a whole other league(Celtics opponents average 89 PPG). They are that good. Look at all the other teams. I'm not saying NBA defence is bad. I'm more reiterating the idea that the NBA defence is not as good as what it is made out to be.

-New York's opponents are giving up 107.5 PPG on average
-New York are letting their opponents grab on average 49 rebounds per game! Where's the boxing out on defence

Looking at those 2 stats, that i just randomly picked out, it would seem as though the defence is very poor.
How you can give up 49 boards a night as well as 107.5 Points a game is crazy!

Reply #214046 | Report this post

Fox 56  
Years ago

I think the defenzive player would win, if he started with the ball

Reply #214052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough Skux. You would think teams would try to model themselves on the reigning champs. Maybe there arent enough coaches in the USA that are capable of teaching team D?

Reply #214100 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Yea, I do think the NBA is offensively-focussed. But that's a great thing, because it makes for a more entertaining game. I can see your point though Anon, Boston's defence is outstanding

Reply #214121 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Battle of the 3 point shooters:

Larry Bird vs. Larry Bird from the Big Mac adverts of the 90's (with MJ).

Big Mac Larry would win. I doubt normal Larry could hit a shot off the expressway, off the traffic light, off the postman, over the river, off the car, through the window, off the wall... nothing but net.

Reply #214172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754