EC
Years ago

Ruthless Hawks

So much has been done in recent years to make the NBL a great league to follow and enjoy. The introduction of the Salary Cap and the Points system all go towards making it a fair and competitive competition. The acquisition of new sponsors have ensured that the league is to be financially viable. The introduction to the sport in Asia is try and gain a wider audience base. From the game on Friday night in Singapore, I believe that this was successful and can see some good progress to be made in the future.

Despite all of this, it could all be undone by allowing the Hawks to play the style of game that they play. They are an isolated team in that they will do whatever it takes to win a championship at a dreadful loss to the sport and the league itself. Many people have expressed the ugliness of Saturday's game and how the attendences would dramatically drop of if this was the style of basketball we were forced to watch. No one wants to see a game like that. Considering the entire season consists of 34 games played by this team, that has the potential to destroy the enjoyment and integrity of the game.

Basketball is not a contact sport. If people want to see a contact sport, they can go to the wrestling, boxing or rugby. Basketball has its own set of rules that make the game unique. It is this unique game that basketball fans want to see.

The sad and sorry fact about all this is that the officials have control over the game and yet they choose not to control it. Saturday's game was the most appaling display of umpiring I've ever seen. The refs have to be brought under control in their judgements and calls. They are the ones who decide if the NBL has a future or not. As far as the individual clubs and teams are concerned, they seem to have little control over the officiating of games. A $5,000 fine is imposed on any club making untoward comments regarding the offiating. My guess (not sure) is that there would be a similar fine if a coach got so pissed off that he called the game off. Tech fouls are readily imposed if you complain about a call.

In an environment where there is a shortage of NBL accredited umpires, there is not likely to be much done about the way they offiate a game.

The point I'm trying to make is, that all the wonderful work the NBL does to make the league a first class sporting event will all be a waste of time if they don't take care of the officiating first.

Topic #1821 | Report this topic

flatshot  
Years ago

EC i reckon you're getting carried away. Yes it was an ugly game and yes the hawks were physical and defensive but I think that 36ers can deal with that but we were flat from the schedule and already minus nashy and williams from the 10 and then we lose Brett and the guys could get up against Melbourne but couldn't do it against Hawks. Jake was carrying an injury, Oscar was probably flat because he had played the last 2 games through a close family bereavement and dusty was also coming off an injury. It was also unrealistic to expect Willie to find the same emotional game after his blinder against tigers. We missed shots and free throws and were physically and emotionally down and the game was not far out of reach. If Hawks play the same and we find a little bit from everyone then we can beat the Hawks. I am sure there will be no need for some of the poor shot selection that was partially forced on some of the guys because others had their heads down.
I can recall some of the best games to watch against scragging defensive titans where sixers blew them away offensively with a free flowing potent enjoyable style of game.

Reply #20775 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I consider basketball a contact sport. Not to the same level that players can hit or tackle each other as in wrestling or the AFL, but there is certainly some contact in the key in jostling for position.

That said, entertaining basketball is a free-flowing game. Not All Star games that lack any defense, but those in which players compete by the rules without unduly disadvantaging opponents. Discouraging the holding and pushing that forces shots off course and doesn't allow players a fair attempt is done by calling fouls.

It's a fine line between great defense (have a look at the photo gallery on the Sixers site from the Hawks game, and look for the pics of 36ERS getting sandwiched between Hawks in the key -- that's tough defense) and holding (see photo linked to in the other thread of Rice holding Farley unfairly) or pushing a driving player (happened to Willie all night).

The Hawks are but one team in the league. If every team played like the Hawks, I'd guess that attendances would drop, but as a single team they provide a bit of variety.

I think that the officiating was on the wrong side of that fine line on Saturday night. It wasn't just an ugly game because teams missed shots (Saville shot 8 of 22, but I thought he played an entertaining game), but a lot of missed shots were due to the pushing.

The bottom line is that not many people have written considering that this game was pleasant to watch. Impartial observers indifferent to the result have called it an ugly game too.

EC, I could say that you sound a little alarmist with the way you've written this, but at a basic level you're on the mark -- it wasn't pretty to watch and if all NBL games were like Saturday night, I think crowds would gradually tune out. It's the only Hawks game I've seen all year, so I can't say if this was just a bad example of their style.

Reply #20779 | Report this post

krap nek  
Years ago

EC,

Thats one of the most limp wristed posts ever.

Basketball is a contact sport.

May I suggest you go and watch Netball.

Or become an NBL accredited ref.

Reply #20885 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754