bigbird
Years ago

Bruce ready for his role or not yet

Who here thinks Bruce has performed this year? Has he been beaten more or won his position more? Preseason he was tipped to be rookie of the year but besides 2 games has he done that much?

Topic #18216 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are people forgetting that he's a rookie first and foremost ? He is running a team and its his first professional gig. I think he's going more than ok.

Reply #214187 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Doesn't that raise the question of why such an important position was filled with a rookie? I know he will be valuable in the future if he is given the chance to develop now but who guarantees you that he will stay with the team that developed him? He is just as likely to go and chase the extra dollar when he has become a sought after player.

Reply #214189 | Report this post

bigbird  
Years ago

That is what i was thinking to, why put a rookie under so much pressure, teams are targeting him for his lack of d, and sometimes his offence lacks confidence

Reply #214190 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

He'll still win ROY by a mile, Steve Weigh is not even close.

Bruce's had to carry a huge load so far, which should decrease as Davidson becomes fully fit and starts taking 20-30mins a game. He's still 2nd in assists I believe, turnovers and FG% have been a worry though. But lets not forget he is also carrying an injury or two (hammy and something else).

Hopefully, he'll sneak back ahead of CJ in assists and cruise home for the ROY award and a good playoff series.

Reply #214194 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

why doesnt Luke win ROY? not sure of criteria but thought this was his first year?

Reply #214202 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Luke has played pro ball before. Some league called the NBA. Also played in Europe too.

Reply #214204 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

but he can get ROY right

Reply #214208 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Date of Births on the NBL website are
Luke 31/12/82
Aaron 19/12/04
so next month these guys are 27 and 25.

seems to me strange that we are even talking about guys this old as "Rookies". Luke certainly isnt elligible and i am even surprised Aaron is, considering his age the number of games he has played for Australia.

i know age does not come into it, but these guys have been playing for a while.

Reply #214215 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

I think Bruce has been given alot more responsibility than intended initially, ive liked him in parts and not liked him a bit ie cairns game. With Davidson fit hopefully he can improve to. Needs a better shot and a go to move in offence.

Reply #214219 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

No wonder the Sixers are struggling, we have a 3 year old running the point! Hopefully he steps up in a couple of weeks when he turns 4.

Reply #214220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't that raise the question of why such an important position was filled with a rookie?
Remember that the intention at some stage before Bruce's signing was probably to start Davidson (and not even have Bruce at all, instead back-up with Maher and Kersten) and it's likely been a matter of injuries and comparative ability that's given Bruce the starting opportunity.

Bruce is averaging 11.8 PPG and 5.6 APG, not far off Davidson's pace as starting point last year.

Comparison between Bruce (08/09) and Davidson (07/08)

His shooting numbers are down on Davidson's from last season, but it's his first year in the league and it doesn't seem uncommon for players in that scenario (see Kendall and Worthington as examples) to gradually improve their percentages and consistency.

All up, we're probably lucky to have signed him given that Davidson, Maher and Kersten have all missed games through injury, and he's shown good potential. A double-double on debut and a 14 assist game in his first season...

Reply #214221 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

So does that mean that an import like Derrick Low could also win rookie of the year?

Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't Low just graduate from college last season (like Bruce) and the NBL is his first pro gig?

Reply #214226 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

True, he will be a great player in one or two seasons. I still remember when a young Maher used to lose the ball with nerves and the crowd used to murmer but with confidence he became one of Australias best. Looking forward to watching him improve, no doubt hodge will give him good help.

Reply #214228 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Rex Hunt:

"No wonder the Sixers are struggling, we have a 3 year old running the point"

: )

Wasted it seems on these guys.

Agree with kman, more than happy to have Aaron on-board. If we look after the guy, he could be the future of our club, along the lines of our very special Brett Maher. Let's not forget that Aaron only became available through the signing of Tinnie, who has since been sent on his way. Jules is back, with the bonus of Aaron to cover the still injury stricken Ryan Kersten.
I'm confident that this season can be a positive.

Reply #214249 | Report this post

grote  
Years ago

"Wasted it seems on these guys."

no just a bit obvious

Reply #214251 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

As has already been said, Bruce should be a walk up for ROY, the best rookie the 36ers have had in ages, probably since say a Brett Maher, probably not far off putting up inglesish rookie numbers, also taking into account they play different positions.
He is a future star, lets get behind him and support him and keep him happy so he sticks around!

Reply #214253 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Typical tall poppy syndrome..

So if Bruce is no good, what should we do, give the ball to Kersten...pfft.

Get off his case, he is a rookie, and making rookie mistakes, hopefully he does want to hang around here for the long term.

Reply #214254 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, this is 2008, not 2009. They'll be 26 and 24.... ;)

Reply #214256 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

LC, I don't think imports can win ROY.

Reply #214261 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

oh yeah, 26 and 24 next month.
back to school for me!

anyways, Aaron should be up to the job, he just needs to get used to all the players around him, and its been difficult with the different line ups at trainings and matches.

Reply #214287 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan

Aaron 19/12/04?

I think hes doing great for a 4 year old then

Reply #214292 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

STAT, come on man that's just silly.

...he doesn't turn 4 until the 19th.

Reply #214294 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not bad X, good pick up..

Reply #214298 | Report this post

lilwayne  
Years ago

Aaron bruce is the better then any of you poor message board posters get off the kids back and he will have more energy to put into the 6ers and less chance of caring what your f(((ags thinks.
get a life!!!! and get your own pro career

Reply #214303 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Was that directed at anyone in particular lil' weezy? I don't think anyone has been too harsh, the general feeling is he's doing a very good job.

Reply #214310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754