Kroc hunter
Years ago

Next years Sixers

With all the talk of Mee wanting to be a sixer again we could suit a strong team with a mix of experience and youth. Think about it we have Brad Hill who is proving his worth, chase after Joe Ingles and we have 2 of the best young talents around. Mee, Maher, Farly, Dusty, as a stand out experienced group, plus re sign coop, jacob oscar and even bring the big fella back and it suddenly become a very versatile and talented team in almost every position on the court. Any thoughts?

Topic #1822 | Report this topic

FLY  
Years ago

Mee, Rychart and Farley are all imports. Not gonna happen mate.

Reply #20758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read rumor mill, looks like mee will play as an australian

Reply #20763 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Darnell got his Citizenship on Australia day last week from what i hear.....the Hawks could even have sneaked another import in if the rules ( cap, points, games to qualify) allow because he is now playing as an Aussie.

Reply #20764 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

We still need a dominant centre. Paul Rees does an excellent job on the defensive end, but we need a Mark Bradtke-like player who we can throw it into the post at, and be 70% sure he can score. Like what happened v Wollongong, if Farley is messing it up, and Maher isn't playing, there are no go to men to pass to. And Cooper simply doesn't cut it to be an NBL player

Reply #20771 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

OK, my mistake, I still don't see it happening though.

Reply #20772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Portal -- I wouldn't say that Cooper doesn't cut it; he's a defensive player first and foremost.

Have a look at the NBL top tens -- Cooper plays around half of each game and is 6th in the league in blocks, ranking amongst players playing 35+ MPG. I think he's definitely an asset to the team.

Reply #20781 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

Well, at a 205cm (or whatever he is) athletic guy who can read the play quite well, you would expect him to do well in other areas of the game, not just blocking.

Reply #20783 | Report this post

Lev Makaev  
Years ago

haha thats why we get stiff! To help out Cooper and Rees, last game they got 4 points between them if they have another big guy whos 'athletic' helping them out we will be alot stronger on the big men. Rychart, Stiff, Cooper, Rees. Thats a big 4.
I didnt hear of Mee getting the citazenship hopefully he comes to Adelaide before wollongong take use of that.
Also if we can only have 1 import how do we have Rychart and Farley, which 1 has their citazenship or what not?!? (my guess is Rychart if any)

Reply #20785 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

We're allowed 2 imports

And Rees's job isn't to score, he is to be a big concrete wall, a big moving chicane in the keyway. He might not get stats, but he alters a hell of a lot of shots. Cooper does a good job as well, but doesn't have the strength or intelligence of Rees.

Reply #20788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cooper is faster and a more able ball-handler.

Also, I think he's actually 201 or 202.

Reply #20799 | Report this post

Portal to the...  
Years ago

Cooper is obviously quicker and has better ball skills (well, who isn't quicker than Reesy?) but Rees is in that team completely for the defense, he is not an offensive threat and he (and everyone else who is basketball intelligent) knows it. Cooper is not in that team as a defensive player, and therefore should really be playing better offense. For him to score 4 points (v Wollongong) is a bit disgraceful, really, being so quick and having the ball skills you mentioned, and the athleticism and anticipation that I mentioned.

And I looked it up (adelaide36ers.com), Cooper is 206cm.

Reply #20805 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Portal to the...

do you even play basketball? have you ever coached basketball? do you even know the game? yes you are expressing your own opinion which everyone is allowed to do freely, but I must say you have absolutely know idea with what you're saying about cooper.

'4 points against the hawks is an absolute disgrace' why isn't holmes or forman a disgrace when they were in single digits as well? have you seen cooper's season average, hmmm, 7pts??? He runs the floor, blocks shots, rebounds, alters shots, reads the play, and can hit the outside shot occasionally, can drive occasionally and normally throws down a two handed dunk when he is open and near the rim (I've seen that at least 10 times this year). Mate, all I can say is, don't become a coach or a GM, because I think Phil knows what he's doing with his players just a bit better than you and your 'insights' on people like David Cooper.

Reply #20808 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Paul Rees has more Championships than any other centre in NBL history....he must bring something to the table and IMO that is chemistry and a sense of knowing his job and making the job of the players around him easier.

Thank you..... that is my 300th post and i now sit and ponder the future....i have so many people to thank....

Reply #20810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You seriously don't think that Cooper is in the team as a defensive player?? They've got 3 of the top 10 scorers in the league, plus Holmes (scorer/rebounder), Forman (scorer/rebounder) Hill (scorer), Ng (scorer). How many shots do you think Cooper is meant to get?

He missed a lay-up (looked like he couldn't decide whether he was going to dunk it or lay it in) and passed on open shots, but he had 12 boards in less than 30 minutes. Yeah, he could score a bit more, but I don't think that's why he's in the team and I haven't heard anyone else express that opinion either.

Oscar mentioned only recently that Cooper was 4cm shorter than him so who knows.

Reply #20811 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

can anyone else confirm that mee is an ozzie now? if he is we should at least be in his ear and tell him we still value him, at least this would put the though in his head when contract talks start again and the hawks are after him to resign. Thing is no know seems to have any idea about any contract situation with our own players.

Reply #20812 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Darnell is the one talking to the sixers not the other way around....he wants to come to Adelaide.

Reply #20816 | Report this post

krap nek  
Years ago

How long has Cooper been in the league?

With either him or Reese on the floor we are always playing with 4 offensive players.

If he developed a short range jump shot and some finishing moves we could be well served by him.

Great without the ball but looks a bit tentative with it. Also I wish he would stop passing the ball to guarded teammates with 4-5 secconds on the shot clock instead of shooting the thing.

IMO We need to import a DOMINANT centre someone who defenders have to colapse on because one man can't contain his power.
I know Davis was a 4 man but think what would've hapened back in his day if anyone tried to get phisical with him.(ala Hawks) He'd knock them into the fith row.

note to Phil Import BIG thug.

Reply #20847 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

import and replace who?

Reply #20855 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

Looks like Brett Maher might be looking at European offers for next season (Italy or Spain). So a backcourt of Mee, Farley and Hill could be on the cards next season.

Source : Network 10 news 31st of January

Reply #20857 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

And the bench?

Gower? Gerlach?

Keep Hambour :) Why get rid of someone if they havent been able to prove themself

Reply #20862 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

Reply #20867 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

wot about dusty is he stayin nxt year?

Reply #20868 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

catched the brett thing, its sad but nothing new. He has said for a while that he would like to do the overseas thing to round his basketball experience, only real difference is that he is more proactive about it now. He said if nothing worked out he was fine to stay here so that is good. Now just be selfish and hope no one wants him :-)

Reply #20870 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

If Maher does head to Europe I wouldn't mind the following team next year:

PG Mee
SG Farley
SF Holmes
PF Rychart
C Dwight (I heard he isn't happy at the Pigs. Is he a free agent?)

Bench
PG Kersten
SG Hill
SF Ingles (or a young PF from AIS or Hambour)
PF Forman
C Cooper

Obviously Dwight or Schenscher (if he doesn't play NBA or Europe) are wishful thinking but they would be the first two big men I would be talking to.

Dwight would flourish in Adelaide playing alongside Rychart.

A defence headed by Mee and Dwight would be pretty scary. Rychart would be our main post up player meaning Dwight can finally play for a coach who won't criticise him for not being the prototypical back to the basket Centre.

A pretty damn exciting team as well with a good mix of youth and experience.

Our bench would be very young but all have tremendous upsides. Most importantly, 3 of the 5 would be rookies allowing us cap space to aggressively go after Mee and Dwight.

Reply #20876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stephon.... salary cap!

Reply #20877 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I'm not worried about the salary cap...just what the 36ers admin are prepared to pay.

Maher, Nash, Rees, Ng, Williams out.

Mee, Dwight and 3 rookies in.

Compare the line-up I have listed with the Tigers current roster or even Sydney's or Wollongong's current line-ups.

It is definitely achievable cap wise...it just depends on whether the above players want to play for the 36ers and the 36ers are prepared to pay the full limit of the cap. They are the bigger questions, not cap room.

Reply #20879 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, I can tell you first hand, what the 36ers admin is willing to pay is not a cent over the salary cap.

Also any additional "incomes" they always seek NBL permission.

I think Mee would play for less than what he could get if he wants to finish his careerr here (and remember that is a pretty big rumour only)...Holmes certainyl cant expect to keep demanding 80k or whatever he would be on now if he keeps turning in the games he has been.

Dusty deserves every cent he gets, and then some...same with Farley (most weeks)

Reply #20880 | Report this post

krap nek  
Years ago

Joshua,

If we get Mee
Farley

Because if Mee isn't scoring at least he has something solid on D to offer the team.

Dusty has to stay cause he is so consistent.

Reply #20887 | Report this post

London or Prag  
Years ago

Lets be smart about things. To all those that believe we need to dominant big man, what happened last time we had the player. Rogers stuffed our style of play. I know he was out for a while but when he played there was no movement whats so ever. Basketball is not going in the direction of big thug centres, more like 6 ft 10 players that are athletic and can drible the more. Signing Brad Hill and getting early contacts on joe ingles are key decisions that the sixers need to make.

Reply #20888 | Report this post

krap nek  
Years ago

To use Rogers as an example of a dominant center is just plain stupid.

I agree on Brad and Joe but I think we still need Davis like strength.

Sometimes the 3's dont drop and you need to grind away with some inside baskets. Teams have been doing it to us for years.

Reply #20892 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

How did this Darnell Mee thing come up that he wants to come home? Boti hasn't said anything and I havent read about it, would wollongong really let him go?

Reply #20909 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

i think unless there are any 10 tonne trucks around, we are not going to get anyone with davis like strengh....he built the powerhouse with his bare hands...

Reply #20927 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

what do people consider our options if brett goes and we cant get mee, who should we look at?

Reply #20932 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When the Razors are playing like crap in Adelaide, Dwight is always the one who steps in and nails that long basket. I think he's a versatile player, but I've heard him called a "cancer" by enough Razorback fans to be wary.

Would Ingles get two years at the AIS?

If so, Stephon, what about Dan Thompson as a backup forward off the bench?

Mee/Kersten
Farley/Hill
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/Thompson
?/Cooper

Rees' advantages and disadvantages aren't going to change next season. He's still a solid defender. He's not going to get any slower!

Reply #20934 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:41 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754