Run TMC
Years ago

Kidd trade in hindsight (spoilers)

At the time of the Kidd trade a lot of people agreed that it was a risk and that "time will tell" if it was a good trade or not.

Well Devin Harris has been on fire this year so far and just had 47 pts, 8 ast and 7 reb in a win @ Phoenix. I bet Dallas would love those numbers from Kidd next time they play the Suns!!

Meanwhile Dallas at the moment are looking like the team in the West most likely to get bumped out of the playoffs (by Portland). The other seven should stay the same. This year it looks like the fight for playoffs spots will be in the East. it also seems as though there has been a bit of a shift in power - the East teams seem to be doing much better against some of the better teams form the West.

Topic #18259 | Report this topic

breaklamp  
Years ago

Kidd trade was definately a mistake and I think it was a panic decision by cuban because teams around them were making moves (i.e. LA with Gasol) and Dallas responded abruptly. At least Kidd's contract is expiring and Dallas can make an offer for the 2009 or 2010 free agents. Wont matter though - Mavs will never win a title with Dirk as their franchise man. He plays with no heart.

Reply #214658 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Dirk plays with no heart?

Whether the Mavs can win with Dirk as their franchise guy is up for debate, but to suggest Dirk plays with no heart is wrong. He would be one of the only guys in the league who plays with passion - this is reflected in his desire to represent his country at every opportunity.

Reply #214663 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

Dirk plays with Heart.
But the Dallas window has closed just like it did on Sacramento another really good team that couldnt win the big one.

Reply #214679 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Was a massive call by the Mavs. On the other hand the Nets are on the rise with Harris, Carter and Yi complemented by an emerging monster frontcourt they are a team that look to be going places.

Reply #214689 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Nets easily got the better trade in that instance.

Although Harris wasn't exactly traded to a team I can see him sticking with for the rest of his career. Arguably a great guard; but if I were Harris, I would potentially be looking at moving teams when my contract expires.

Reply #214724 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Mavs tried a new offence based on the princeton motion offence. They went 2-7.

Decided to go for a pick n roll offence and commit to better rebounding and D and they are now stringing along some quality wins. Kidd is playing fine, doing exactly what he needs to do. Terry is lighting it up off the bench and Dirk is doing the Germans proud.

All this is happening without their other star Howard who will bring his nearly 20/10 average (as a SF!) to the team in the coming days.

They also have a trade option with Stack and his valuable expiring contract.

Now would they be better off with Devin at the point right now? Maybe. But don't cry for the Mavs coz they are set up pretty well right now.

Reply #214770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754