Anonymous
Years ago

36ers vs Tigers - Huge Crowd?

A mate of mine bought tickets yesterday and said there was basically nothing left in the entire gold section or the silver, except in the far corners and had to buy tickets behind the backboard. Anyone know how sales are going or have bought tickets recently and can give us an idea. There has a fair bit of hype about the crowd numbers for the 1st Hodge game and while the 5,300 crowd was good but didn't live up to the hype. But it seems that we may have a ripper of a crowd on hand to watch the 36ers knock off last years champs.

Topic #18267 | Report this topic

kman  
Years ago

Im tipping 6,400 for the game. Tigers are a quality team with big players, Ebi, Anstey will draw on lookers and of course Hodge. Last Saturdays win will help get people on board to. Should be awesome

Reply #214748 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ya mate was told lies then Im afraid. I can still buy 10 tickets along the side of the court in the gold section.

I would love to see it full to the rafters but I cant see it any higher than around 5800.

Reply #214750 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I was a bit disappointed with 4462 at the Hawks match.
It will be interesting to see how many turn up for the Tigers game.
Then how many turn up 4 days later for the Crocs on Wednesday. If we get blown out by the Tigers it may not be many.

But if we take them down and the game is entertaining we should see some big crowds for the rest of the season.

Hopefully the boys put it all together and get the win.

Full court pressure with Davidson, Bruce and Hodge hassling who ever they get to bring the ball up would be a good start.

Reply #214752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its amazing how spoiled we are compared to interstate teams tho. The 4462 was a bit disappointing for us but most interstate teams would be rejoicing if they got that many and that 1,000 more than Melbourne can even fit into their pathetic little stadium. Hopefully we can hit the 6,000 mark against the Tigers. If there's one visiting team which should draw some interest it would be them with all the stars they have.

Reply #214761 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The other good news is Adelaide United play on Friday night so that doesn't clash with the Sixers game on Saturday.

Reply #214763 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

There are too many Christmas parties on this time of year. I'd go this week if mine wasn't on.

Reply #214775 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

This game has probably the 4 most talented imports playing against each other possibly ever!

Last time we played we had a terrible line up to start. Here was the starting match ups:

Anstey vs Ballinger
Mackinnon vs Holmes
Grizzard vs Maher
Eri vs Tyndale
Barlow vs Bruce

The first quarter ended Tigers 32, Sixers 16... Game over!

The guards for the dragons ended up absolutely destroying us in the game scoring 86 points of their 119 point total (72% of the points).

This time we match up much better (Mackinnon out adds to it):

Anstey vs Schensher
Hoare vs Ballinger
Grizzard vs Holmes
Eri vs Hodge
Barlow vs Bruce

or if they go with Crosswell instead of Hoare then that suits us even more as we will have Hodge guarding Barlow.

I think we are in for a great game and if we can stop Tigers production of the bench then we should be able to win it.

Crosswell only offence is driving so we need to contain his drive. He doesn't even look for the pass usually just always drives to the ring looking to score. In 13 games he has shot 0-4 from 3 point land!

Hoare has been a very consistent shooter his whole career and will knock down the open look and usually gets easy layups. Other then that he can't create his own offence so he needs to be pressured when he has the ball.

Corletto usually kills Adelaide and should never be left un guarded on the 3 point line! His only other offence is driving down the middle for running jumpers and scoring off good cuts.

Usually if Tigers starting 5 are playing bad these guys come on and spark their team. If we can contain these 3 players we will have a huge chance of winning the game!

It also depends on the team Ninnis puts on the court as in the last 2 games we have had 10 point leads get destroyed in the space of 2 minutes. We can't afford to have 2 to 3 players on the court that at the same time for lots of minutes that have non or limited offensive ability as the Tigers will eat us up then.

Ballinger or Hodge must be on the court at all times!

Reply #214777 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The guards for the dragons ended up absolutely destroying us in the game scoring 86 points of their 119 point total (72% of the points).

Wow we must have really been playing like shit against the Tigers even the Dragons guards killed us? ;-)

Reply #214795 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Number 44 is right about the Christmas party thing. This time of year people tend to have a fair few commitments, if we get 5000 to the game that'll be a fair achievement.

Reply #214798 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

I think its a bit dissapointing that crowds vary so much depending on who were playing or our last result. I reckon Ive missed about 5 games in 3-4 years, i dont give a toss who we play or when Im always there to support my team. You supporters who rock up becuase u think the other team will be good to watch, why not move interstate and buy a season ticket for them!

Reply #214820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same RMM, but those factors do make a difference to casual fans or people who have to make a choice between two events.

Reply #214828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or those who can only afford to go to a few games each year rather than paying $500 for a season ticket.

Reply #214835 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

What season ticket are you buying mine cost about $330 from memory.

Reply #214836 | Report this post

Dirty Day  
Years ago

DMM, I have not been able to afford season tickets this season after having them 6-7 years. During the time I had season tickets I came to realise that most of the time when the Sixers are playing a shite team, the game ends up being shite. Its not always the case, but by enlarge those games are fairly ugly or lifeless. Its almost as it the Sixers play down to the level of the horrible opponent.

Now that I have to be picky with what games I go to, I'm not going to fork out money to see them play the Blaze or the Spirit. I'm going to fork out my money to see them play the Tigers or the Dragons and just hope that the Sixers don't get blown out. It worked a treat the other week against the Dragons&that was a fun game to watch.

Reply #214842 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

plenty of tickets left bought 8 today in gold section

Reply #214857 | Report this post

says who  
Years ago

You guys a joke doing this stuff about almost sold out to get people to go.Perhaps with the talent you have got if you were coached better and won maybe people would go.Stop putting rubish on here to attempt to draw a bigger crowd.Youve got Hodge now and people expect you to start winning by monster numbers like last season after he settled in.Then you will excite more people to go

Reply #214859 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

says who does point out the obvious. The dome would be housing about 6500-7000 for this clash had we won against Perth, Cairns, South... a winning streak has always brought in full capacity.

And last time I checked, also thumping top sides by 30+ points also draws crowds; ala Sydney and Brisbane last year. You may find after last week and a big win tonight, we can expect those sorts of numbers in the coming weeks.

Reply #214930 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

My recollection of a packed Powerhouse, doesn't actually correlate to massively successful seasons. I'd consider that the Back to Back (PowerHouse) days would have been the pinnacle of our success, but despite our under achieving, we had respectable crowds prior to that.

Reply #214984 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty, don't forget that the biggest crowd last year was Smyth's send-off - I think that would've been a significant factor. All up, it was probably a combination of things - new import, some recent big wins, and what was then seen as possibly Smyth's final game.

Reply #214999 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Official attendance numbers are quite often way off the mark. There are 2 sides. Pre-sold but vacant seats are counted, which is fair enough. Though strangely enough, lower than actual attendance figures creep in. Isaac may recall when I thought (may have been an OzHoops debate) that our official stats for a particular home game (can't remember which, or when) were far less than what were at the game. It happens.
I'm not sure how this year's stats are being compared with last year, whether it's a simple total crowd / number of games thing, but there are a lot of factors that could skew any result. Things like the number of week-day games, games Jules had played etc. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the stats this year would be lower than last year. Maybe it's been damaged by the disarray of the league, hard to say.

Reply #215067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Numbers may be less than accurate at some other venues (or purposely misreported by some clubs), but at the Dome and most other places, pre-sold tickets are only counted if people come through the doors - the number is counted directly by the scanners and turnstiles when you enter.

Once upon a time, the 36ers may have estimated the crowd by looking around and guessing, but that would've been 8-10 years ago or more.

Reply #215104 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isaac mate, I've still got my doubts about Dome attendance stats. I've always worked on a 1,000 attendees, for each of shoulder, back, neck, peck (2 off), chest, arm (2 off) hair groups, that stand up on the night. That gave me 4,500 last home game, 5000 max. I defy any figure fudging wanna-be that has the timerity to challenge my proven accuracy.

Bring it on.

Reply #215135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Turnstile/scanners vs your estimating methods, hmmm... ;)

Last home game was 4-5k I think, so your estimate is correct there.

I do like trying to guess the crowd based on estimates like your methods, but it is hard to judge the gaps, especially on your own side unless you take a stroll while the game is in progress (and not at half-time when many are up cashing in their superannuation to buy a hotdog).

Reply #215158 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DJ I just finally worked out your Dragons joke :P oppsss

Reply #215333 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754