Peter
Years ago

Will 36ers' win-loss be enough for play-offs?

Okay, someone asked for a new thread, so here goes.

We're half way through the season and the 36ers are 6-9. At the moment, it looks like 14-16 will probably be good enough to make the play offs. I'm assuming the Spirit stay in and their games all count.

36ers have games against the following teams:

Breakers - 1
Dragons - 1
Tigers - 2
Wildcats - 2
Crocs - 2 (wish they were still called the Suns)
Taipans - 2
Hawks - 2
Blaze - 3

I think they will improve further as the players who hadn't played with Hodge before get used to him (that's most of the rest of the team) and he gets used to what the coaches (who haven't worked with him before) want.

Given that, I think they will win 2 of the games against top 4 teams (1 Wildcats and 1 Tigers). They should win all 3 against the Blaze but I think they'll drop 1 each against Crocs and Taipans (both hard at home, 36ers' nemesis teams and JR seems to have come to the party). Not sure about the Hawks - should win both but I worry about the road game.

That outcome would leave them at 15-15 and in 5th place, maybe 6th. To do better than that, I believe the defence has to improve markedly. Otherwise they won't beat full strength Breakers and Dragons and will lose some close ones against teams like the Hawks and the Blaze. With significant defensive improvement, they will pick up extra wins against Wildcats and

What do others think?

Topic #18282 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

Seems like a fair assessment. The thing that is good for us is that we have a lot more games against lower teams and we have hodge now. Should = more wins and a trip to the playoffs.

Reply #214951 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Reckon we'll sneak in. Once you're into finals anything can happen

Reply #214954 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

agreed, we will make it in 6th or 5th. 50% win over the next 15 games should do it but i reckon we will win 9 of our last 15, possibly even 11 of last 15 just a bit unsure of how we will go against the crocs, we will split the tigers games, probably lose to the breakers at the moment, and split the perth games other than that i think we will get the wins.

Reply #214963 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I posted the following on another thread

The next ten games we will probably win 7 to 8 games. We have:

Hawks @ home. Win (We won the game)
Tigers @ home. probably lose but could win
Crocs @ home. win
Wildcats away. probably lose but could win
Blaze @ home. win
Tigers away. probably lose but could win
Blaze away. win
Hawks @ home. win
Taipans @ home. win
Taipans @ away. win

This would make us 12-12. Our last 6 games look like at least producing 3 wins and 3 loss's.

Crocs away. Win
Blaze @ home. Win
Wildcats @ home. hopefully win but probably lose
Dragons away. Probably lose
Breakers @ home. Probably lose but could win
Hawks away. win

So I think we will at least finish the season 15-15 if not better!

Reply #214964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol i love adelaide fans. I'll give u good odds that the 36ers wont sweep the crocs, taipans and hawks from here on in. Why are there alt of probably lose but could win but no probably win but could lose.

Reply #215003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some optimism isn't unique to 36ers fans trying to guess how the season might pan out.

Reply #215010 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I was generalising. That record is what I am expecting however I think we could lose to the lower ranked teams while also beating some of the top ranked teams, such is sport.

Reply #215027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fair enough. I agree the 36ers will finish up around .500. Teams to make the playoffs will be
Breakers
Dragons
Tigers
Wildcats
36ers
Townsville/Wollongong really not sure about this one

then
Townsville/Wollongong
Cairns
Sydney
Gold Coast

Reply #215045 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

We have Hodge who should have learnt the ropes by the next couple of games. That should make a difference to the team going forward compared to what's already been achieved with Tyndale. They can win most of the remaining games but a lot will depend on Ninnis. Also injuries will play a part.

Reply #215087 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Really tight finish now so all home games are must wins:

Currently sitting 8 & 10 looking for 50% as a min win ratio. We need to knock Sydney out of the top 6. Spirit' last games are NZ (3), Cats (3), Hawks (2), Taipans (2)

Blaze (H) - win
Tigers (A)- loss
Blaze (A) - win
Hawks (H)- win
Taipans (H)- win
Taipans (A)- win
Crocs (A) - 50/50
Blaze (H)- win
Cats (H)- win
'Goons (A) - loss
NZ (H) - win
Hawks (A) - win

Reckon we'll finish 17 & 13 and get in.

Reply #216689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754