Isaac
Years ago

Spirit to play out the season

Players will get paid near the minimum, but receive gate takings on top of that.

The League met with the team on Tuesday morning to confirm their individual financial situations and subsequently adjusted the proposed salary component of the rescue package accordingly.

"Sydney sports fans are now assured the Spirit will play out the current NBL season, with the players and coaching staff courageously agreeing as a group to play on despite it being necessary for them to take significant pay cuts," said Derwin. "They really are playing for the love of the game and have accepted the absolute bare minimum salary to cover their families' living expenses. We are glad that we have managed to find a way for the Spirit to continue in the League, given their outlook just over a week ago was very bleak."
Tickets at home games (next one is Dec 21 against Crocs) are $10 for adults and $5 for children 13 and under.

Hopefully they can build on the 2,500 that went to the last game.

Topic #18287 | Report this topic

Number 44  
Years ago

From what I hear Mal is about 2 weeks away from selling the team officially. I'm not sure if the new group take over now or next season.

But I just wonder why would someone buy the team now knowing that there may not even be a league next year.

All these teams closing just worry me about the future of basketball. It could not of come at a worst time with the way the world economy is going.

Reply #215008 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Shhhh it's the nbl maybe nobody knows.

Reply #215021 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There will surely be a league. Buying a team now gives someone a license to operate next year, it seems.

Reply #215023 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Isaac,
"There will surely be a league. Buying a team now gives someone a license to operate next year, it seems."

Are you sure? From my understanding the "new" owner would need deep pockets to get a licence in the "new NBL". What does a new licence cost (I have been told $3M)? It also appears that there is a requirement for $1M to be placed in a bank account, 3 separate partners, etc. Is there anyone in Adelaide foolish enough to meet the new requirements.

I certainly hope there is - but.

Reply #215041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to hear Bogut dipping into his no doubt deep pocket to help pay players wages for the remainder of the season. True sign of loyalty.

Reply #215102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754