Iluv2ball
Years ago

What Qualifies a National Coach????

After the joyce- BG thread I thought it may be a good idea to discuss what defines the coaching position for a national team.

I believe that we put to much focus on how a coach rates in the NBL. firstly, the style of the NBL and the international game are different! Secondly, the coach is only as good as the cattle he commands!!!

Gorj has had quality teams with deep rosters over the last five years, I don't think he has underperformed, but he certainly hasn't over achieved! Joyce has done well with what he has got, but has he got the right attitude to be the face of a national team????

Maybe we need a european coach brought in to help teach a diffenrt style of game? or at the very least shake things up a bit. As a fan I feel as if the boomers and opals are a little stagnant atm.... Personally I think a change is needed...

Ideas??????

(please don't use this thread as a chance to put down coaches, rather discuss the negatives and positives)

Topic #18288 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the Opals may seem a bit stagnant but do we really need a change there? Results would suggest not!

Reply #215025 | Report this post

Iluv2ball  
Years ago

Well two silvers which should have been golds would suggest we are doing something wrong...

Reply #215026 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i think we had our best results when the head coach was not part of the NBL.

They were able to sit outside the politics of the NBL and build cohesive teams because of it.

Reply #215028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How do people feel about the idea of a hired-gun coach (from abroad) coming in to push a team in a competition that is all about nation vs nation? If, as a collective of players and coaches, we can't win the games, do we deserve the results?

Surely our best coaches can learn from European leagues and international games rather than need someone else coming in to do it for us? Is this interest in a European coach heavily driven by a brief patch of success with Huddink and the Socceroos?

Obviously there's a bit of a grey area when it comes to naturalised talent. This came up during the Olympics and we talked about JR Holden and Chris Kaman suiting for Russia and Germany respectively.

Reply #215034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

i think we had our best results when the head coach was not part of the NBL.
Or did that just coincide with a slightly weaker international competition (outside of the top dogs)? Have teams like Greece, Spain, and Argentina improved significantly over the last 8-10 years?

Reply #215039 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Hired Gun is the answer,

No links to teams, no political requirments, reduce the loading of "certain teams" in the NBL...AND... bring a fresh look to things and if ytou get someone who has international experience...maybe they can teach something we dont know.

works for the football

Reply #215040 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I doubt BA have the funds required to hire an international or even full time coach.

Until a better option presents itself, BG has the job until he no longer wants it.

Reply #215042 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Vote #1 Joey Wright.

Reply #215043 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

me, will players then just go and suit for assistant coaches to better their chances?

Reply #215047 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

I don't get why everyone is bagging BG. I think there is too much expectation on his shoulders. What he done at Beijing was amazing for a team of that calibre. Beating Russia by 15 points, Killing Iran by 38 points and upsetting Lithuania by 31 points. Not to mention only loosing to USA by 11 in the pre-olympic game.

Does everyone expect that Australia should dominate the world stage? Take a look at our roster..We don't have many Superstar players and yet look how well we done...Hmm...Someone must be doing something right..I think it's the coach. For BG to take quite a weak roster by international standards and get the results we did was outstanding.

Reply #215162 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"works for the football" -me

WTF are you talking about?!? Mick Malthouse coached the national team and he's 100% Australian.

Reply #215212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754